something different | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

something different

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Thanks Tick,
When I was a young kid my older sister and I used a crosscut say to cut up firewood. I was so young bout all I could do was pull the saw back so she could grt another good bite. Mite say I was just her return spring. Love the hand adzes and draw knifes. And don't forget the planes. Pick me up a froe many years ago and cut a young Hickroy off even to the ground and made a mallet. Had that mallet for about 15 years and ain't beat the bark all the way off yet. Thanks for the pictures.
Bob

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Cut out and installed the transom this morning, spent the rest of the day cutting out ribs

skiff3002.jpg

skiff3006.jpg

here's the overall shot, some of the clamps starting to come off

skiff3011.jpg

and here's a tool shot of a variety of hatchets

skiff1015.jpg

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Not really, the sides of the transom are compound angles- miter and bevel cuts that are made after the sides are brought together. Precutting then trying to bring the sides together to match the last degree or so is way more difficult than just getting pretty close and then measuring for the miter and bevel.

Even without the 2 X 4's, the curvature of the sides is gentle enough that the 1 1/4" or so thickness of the transom is pretty easy to match up.

The real reason for the 2 X 4's is to reduce the curvature of the sides from about the 6th rib to the transom. It's a design element that the boat builder we learned from used. I don't know if there's some theoretical water shedding advantage to doing it this way or if it was just more pleasing to the eye.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Today and the next several days will be "rib" days, so we'll be doing the same thing and won't be posting.

Anyway as I said yesterday, cut youself out a mess of side ribs, plus some extra ones incase there's a couple you don't like

skiff4001.jpg

Next you cut the bottom ribs - fitting ribs is one the most asked questions as some folks find it intimidating. If I give you a pattern, you have a rib that will fit in one place. If I show you how to fit ribs, you can put ribs anyplace. Kind of like giving you a fish vs. teaching you how to fish. This is the way we do it, and it's not the only way

First cut yourself a piece of bottom rib stock about 4 inches longer than the width of the boat where it's going to be installed. Center it at the ribs marks and draw a line underneath following the sides.

skiff4003.jpg

Now turn the rib over and rotate it 180 degrees, mark the rib number and the direction to the front of the boat.

skiff4005.jpg

This is the way the will sit when it's installed, notice that your lines follow the angle of the sides. Now slide the rib to one side so you draw the angle of the side onto the the side of the rib. Repeat for the other side.

skiff4008.jpg

The edge of the rib has the needed bevel, so tilt the tablesaw to match that bevel.

skiff4009.jpg

The lines you transferred to the side of the rib is your miter cut.

skiff4011.jpg

Cut a little wide of the line so you can go back and make adjustments, if necessary. But keep the correct bevel on the table saw as you will need to match that to the bevel on the side ribs.

skiff4012.jpg

Trim off the bottom of the side ribs to match the bottom of the bottom rib. I've just shown one for illustration.

skiff4014.jpg

skiff4015.jpg

In this pic I've just clamped them together to show you how they fit to the side of the boat, We will eventually nail and glue the side and bottom ribs together and nail and glue them into the boat.

skiff4016.jpg

that's enough for today, i'll post again when we finish the ribs.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Got all the ribs in, waiting for epoxy to dry

Tomorrow we'll pack up the road show for a seminar at a middle school around here on the evolution of the pirogue, from dugout to plank, to plywood. Tools, designs, etc. Having a little bit of knowledge and insight isn't much fun if you don't share it, plus it gives us a chance to run our mouth to a new audience :D

may post pics by Friday or Monday

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
seedtick said:
Got all the ribs in, waiting for epoxy to dry

Tomorrow we'll pack up the road show for a seminar at a middle school around here on the evolution of the pirogue, from dugout to plank, to plywood. Tools, designs, etc. Having a little bit of knowledge and insight isn't much fun if you don't share it, plus it gives us a chance to run our mouth to a new audience :D

may post pics by Friday or Monday

Aww...man. I'm jealous! Makes me wish I was in middle school again. :mrgreen:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Seedtick, Is it the angle of that particular shot? Or is that boat really that swaybacked? I'm curious why so? I know it's for a performance characteristic, probably ability to turn on itself? But, I'm trying to imagine the circumstances where that is so valuable? Educate me here, Seedtick?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, the square ended bateaus around here had the same rake. Easier to get out when you run it up on the bank. Just step out on dry ground. With a good running start, you can climb halfway over a submerged log and if you don't happen to clear it, you can stand on the deck and the stern will come over the log with a little wigglin'. :)