something different | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

something different

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
For the folks that have forgotten what Keith and seedtick posted on a different post , here is a picture of Keith paddling one , the picture is from Keiths web site. :roll:

300_SKIFF16001.jpg

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Did you row it all the way, or did Tick lend a hand on the trip down ? :mrgreen:

You don't look 400 years old. Amazing; you two have found the fountain of youth in La. And to think, everyone always thought it was in Fl.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Saw this at Jazz Fest today:

Kieth and seedtick, yall need to come down here and show them how it's done!

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
in preparation for attaching the bottom,

smooth out the sides and rib bottoms so the bottom panel will be a tight fit

DSC05065.jpg

don't forget to cut a notch in the bottom of the bottom ribs so water will pass to the lowest point
it's a lot easier to do this now instead of after the bottom is attached

DSC05067.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Seedtick, I'm curious about the boards with the diamond shaped cutouts. Why did you not extend them all the way to the bottom? Why a gap, then a second board? I think they are to provide an under seat storage area?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Most of the old time boat builders had ways of personalizing their work, whether it was the cut or flare of the sides or the rake of the front,

The boards you see are a typical "signature"

That area under the decks is relatively small, as is the acess, but it can and will be used for storage. The gap aids in airing out an otherwise confined space

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
When you are smoothing the sides and rib bottoms with the plane, how do you keep the bevel of the the sides perfect? Is it done purely by eye?

On the UJ pirogue I just built, it was not a big problem because the bevel was pretty well constant from stem to stem, and I was able to run the chines through the table saw and have them come out almost perfect. But on the boat you are building here, it looks like the bevel would vary as you go from bow to stern. That has to be a bit challenging to plane that varying bevel without messing it up.

George

Steve

Seed. . .

Am I wrong in thinking the reason for the long jointing plane would be to allow the use of the ribs in maintining plane angle? I have a couple of 22" long planes and I can imagine that added length being a big help?. . .

Steve

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
That big old plane that Friend Keith is using is a old Stanley No. 7. It's called a jointing plane and is - i think - 22 inches long. It was made especially for putting a straight edge on long boards. We start off planing by eye, check for flatness and following the curvature with about a 4 foot board (side to side and fore and aft) and finally do the final trim out using the actual bottom planks. There is really no "trick" to it - other than experience, just go slow and take off small amounts. We take off the last bits with a sanding board. Wood is not perfect and the same board does not maintain the same bending characteristics throughout. Filled epoxy will cover a lot of gaps, but if you're not in a hurry, you can make some pretty tight joints.

Like I said on another thread, most folks wouldn't even notice the flaws.

But as you make more and more boats, it becomes a challenge to tighten up the standard each time.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Patience, experience, and thickened epoxy. 10-4. Gotta have all three to build a boat.

Thanks again for this thread. The pictures are outstanding.

GBinGA

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
This skiff will have about a 38" wide bottom at the widest point so the bottom will have to be two boards.

We have the two boards but they have to be jointed to make a tight glue line. There are several options:
1. try to manhandle those big boards over a 6" or so jointer - pretty cumbersome
2. make a couple of small passes on the table saw - same as the jointer
3. straighten the edges by hand with that big jointer plane - doable but tedious
4. set up a rip fence on one board that's fixed and move the other board in until it touches, make a pass with a circular saw, repeat until jointed -this is known as the easy button

IMG_2346.jpg

Just as we got the edges matched, we got interrupted by a man that wanted to talk about old marine engines and blacksmith anvils - oh well, it's Friday :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend seedtick,

No luck on marine engines 'er ole anvils up here. I asked Lance fer some help. He sez "dontcha recall I tole ya I wanna big anvil". I sez "yeah, but I tole ya ta git a piece of railroad track". He sez he still wants a anvil....but caint find one lookin' round 'n askin' folks. I will keep a eye out, but it haz been quite a spell since we seen a blacksmith shop round here.

regards
bearridge

He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River.  Unknown high school student