something different | SouthernPaddler.com

something different

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Every now and then, most folks look forward to something different.........

Friend Keith and I just started on another boat that's a bit different, it's not a pirogue,canoe or 'yak but it is propelled by oars and I thought some folks might be interested in following the build. We don't get asked for this style very often, so it's a treat for us to build.

We call it a Louisiana Rowing Skiff. The man who built this style was from Pierre Part and he called it a rowing skiff. Folks from around Grand Isle call it an oaring skiff. Whichever name you call it, the design has been around for at least 300 (believe it came over with the first Europeans) years and you row it standing up, facing forward.

Start off with two cypress boards that are 3/4" thick, 18" wide and 16' long and cut them out so they look like sides.

skiff004.jpg

skiff005.jpg

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Tick and Keith,
Keep the pictures comming. If you don't mind, when composing the pictures try to include one of the lovely walls with the handtools on them . Might even do a closeup of the tools now and then. :D Ya gotta love the old tools.
Bob

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Great thread - I definitely want to see the build.

I share Wannabe's interest in old tools, by the way. I have a few that I keep on the shelf, and some that actually go to jobsites with me. As a matter of fact that might be a subject for a thread of it's own. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I might start it later today!

George

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Thanks for the interest, this skiff doesn't go together quickly like a pirogue so we'll be here a few weeks. I'll try to remember to include more old tool pictures.

Chuck - if this isn't the right forum feel free to move it to a more appropriate one.

Anyway, the next step is to cut the front stem. Start out with a 6" X 6" X 27"

skiff006.jpg

They're a little tricky as they're tapered in two dimensions - width and height, so once we get set up we make several at a time

skiff008.jpg

skiff010.jpg

Steve

Was checking on the build and was showin' it to my girlfriend, Suzie (. . . yeah, I gots me a good 'un. . .) Took her over to Kieth's web page to show her what the finished boat should be lookin' like and she about beat me to a pulp . . . she asked a question, so I have to ask for her. . . how much for a cedar 'un? :roll: Then she saw the price of the plans and beat on me some more. . . she loves the look of that boat. . . It reminds her of her kid days in Mississippi 'n' Louisiana. . . And she just informed me, she DOES want one. . . in CEDAR. . .with fantail! :shock:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Glad to hear you've got somebody to keep you upright.......... :D
Now you (ya'll) can build a boat in your (ya'll's) spare time.

Don't know about the price of cedar but I suspect its pricey enough to not really affect the final price of the boat that much. I believe that cedar would make a fine looking boat but big wide cedar boards just ain't available down here. You're up there closer to cedar country than me - heck you might be in the middle of cedar country for all i know. Check around you might be able to get some good clear, heart cut cedar from a local mill. You know to stay away from the sapwood.

We use four 18" wide boards - one for each side and two for the bottom. Nothing written in stone on the two for the bottom - it can be three or four or it can be plywood, which makes for a simpler build. Once you put floorboards in it, not many folks will notice a plywood bottom anyway

It's not an easy or quick build but if you take your time, it'll be all right.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Seedtick,
If I were yall, I'd go pick up anything outside that could float away. Storm came throuth here this afternoon a headin your way. 10.43 inches in about 3 or 4 hours. Got water in my garage,. Instead of going to the gunshow tomorrow I'll be trying to dry out my garage. When I got home from work I had to reach in the back and get my rubber boots to get into the house. If this storm ain't there yet, it wont be long. Driving through town seeing all the water made me wonder if Chuck or Ron had been through here. :mrgreen:
Bob

Steve

Dang it, Bob . . . Almost made me cry to think I missed me a heavy duty rain shower. . .NOT!!!!! . . . Did make me happy I am up here where all water goes downmountain . . . 8) :lol: :D

Really, though, I was hearing it was supposed to get bad there . . . anymore expected?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Seedtick,
Driving through town seeing all the water made me wonder if Chuck or Ron had been through here. :mrgreen:
Bob

Didn't Ron tell you we are at the Best Western just down the street from you doing a little white water paddling down main street. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have no fear ...... we are at our respective residences since we did not think the Ark was done and in order to let you finish it we stayed away but just remember Ron is closer to you them I am so ...................................... Ya know who to blame.

Chuck.

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Looking forward to seeing this boat built. I've noticed it on the website and was very intrigued by it.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I'm looking forward to watching the build also.

George, have you ever been to the Sellars Gallery of Historic Hand Tools at the Funk Hertiage center at Reinhardt College in Waleska? It is an amazing collection of old tools and probably only about 60-70 miles from you. The tools are grouped by what they were used for: coopers tools, shoemakers tools, blacksmith tools, etc. More info here: http://www.reinhardt.edu/funkheritage/What_You_Will_See/tools.html
Jimmy

Steve

Jack. . . upright 'n' gennel-min-lee . . . see's Suzie's a Southern Belle from Miss-I-Sip-Tea . . . place callt Vickie's Berg . . . She be a real gem of a lady. . . 5'- 7", 130 lbs. . . 'n' ev'ry bit a lady, jes' like most all southern gals . . . :D (I shoulda left something out that description of Suzie. . . me thinks me might be in trouble! :shock: )

Anyways. . . Tick . . . Where be the next installment. . . I's got my pen and paper ready! 8)