something different | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

something different

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
we're on a short hiatus from boatbuilding...........

seems that one of the dugouts is on a two year tour of museums in the south east United States and it's currently in Pensacola

Friend Keith bought himself a brand new speedo and he and his bride spent the last few days checking out the beach scene and the museum display

If he hasn't been arrested for impersonating a girls gone wild photographer, we'll likely be back at it tomorrow, but you know how we are easily distracted

i told you this wasn't a quick build,
patience grasshopper...........

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
seedtick

This is a very interesting build. I believe one time I saw moss pickers at Carthage Bluff using a boat like this. Mr. J Y Graham built my dad a cypress bateau similar to the ones you and Keith build. We kept it there for several years, around 1955 to 1960. Do you know if rowing skiffs were used in this area? It's hard to remember what the boat looked like because it was always covered with a big pile of moss. I wonder what the moss pickers are using today?

beekeeper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Time for the next installment

but first to answer bee's question - the design likely came to the US when the Acadians were kicked out of Nova Scotia in 1758 - not all Acadians made it to south LA,some came down the Atlantic coast and were assimilated into the colonies. It's probable that this design stretched from Maine to Florida and west to Texas at one time

good on ya Steve, keep those sawyers in your back pocket, if they know you're building something special, they'll probably pick out better logs for you

Today was short, install the stem piece, it's glued and nailed with ring shank nails and clamped to hold it steady. Later on we'll torture it as the sides have to come in to 10"

skiff1008.jpg

We added these boards on the other end of the sides to give ourselves something to hold onto as we pull the sides together
it'll become more obvious later

skiff1009.jpg

this is the transom that we glued up

skiff1011.jpg

someone asked for tool pics, here's one

skiff1006.jpg

The chains at the bottom were logging chains, used to tie logs together or pull them out of the swamp, the auger above the chains was used to drill a hole in the end of the log so it be attached to the cable of the pull boat. Above the auger and to the right is a couple of springboards that the loggers used to stand on so they could make a cut above the butt swell of the cypress trees. The three boards on the left side are hide boards, used to stretch out and dry mainly muskrats. When I was a kid my Dad had a dog that could actually catch muskrats. He had it trained so well that he could walk out on the porch with a hide board and the dog would run out and bring back a 'rat that fit the board. Well one day my Mom walked out on the back porch with the ironing board and we haven't seen the dog since.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Truthful Jack,

It aint jest "wood". It iz wood with beautiful grain that I love. I seen the piles 'n piles of cypress them boys gathered frum the swamp. I seen Keith's house. No need ta see the Taj Mahal 'er Commodore Vanderbilt's palace out frum Asheville. [grin]

regards
bearridge

There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued.  Thomas H. Huxley

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Br'r Bear,

Even cheap wood has better grain and appearance than petroleum based canoe material. Just look at the boats built on here by guys who brag about how cheap they bought their wood. Even those boats are pretty to look at. Even my boat, with all its runs, sags, scratches, uneven edges, and clumsy carpentry draws compliments when it is out and about.

The ladies cuddle up to us owners of wooden boats, Bear. That's reason enough to avoid other materials, ehh? Bambii goes gaa gaa over wood, loses control of her inhibitions, and, well ........ You now those gymnastical nurse types.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
I hate wood. I frankly detest everything it stands for dealing with boats!!! Wood is a true evil substance which boats are made of and I for one require medication when considering building a boat made of the evil product called wood..........cause I can't build as many and as quickly as I would like to these days like you can with frozen snot. So many boats ideas and so little time....... :twisted: :roll: :oops: :lol:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Yes Oyster, I have followed your work for the last several years and I can testify how much you hate wood :D

you're the only person I know that can take throw away scraps and turn them into #1 prime select

No Bear, no paint

Today is bending day, the free ends of the sides are about 14 feet apart and they need to be snugged up a bit

skiff2002.jpg

first you bend to the first jig

skiff2001.jpg

then you bend to the second jig

skiff2005.jpg

the ends are now only a couple of feet apart, but they need to be less than a foot, this is where you really have to be careful, 'cause if you go too fast one or both of the sideboards will break. BTW both of the side boards have a street value around here of about $300

skiff2007.jpg

bending takes anywhere from 3 hours to 3 days, this one looks like it'll take about a day and a half

skiff2008.jpg

Oh and one more thing, you can never have too many clamps - here's a shot of the clamp stand

skiff1018.jpg

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
we use west systems expoxy for gluing, it's 105 resin and 207 hardner - the clear hardner

add some wood flour to thicken it up so it doesn't run too badly and also add a bit of colloidal silica (solid glass- west #406) so it's not as dark as just epoxy and wood flour

here's a C&P from the website:
406 Colloidal Silica is a thickening additive used to control the viscosity of the epoxy and prevent epoxy runoff in vertical and overhead joints. 406 is a very strong filler that creates a smooth mixture, ideal for general bonding and filleting. It is also our most versatile filler.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
I love the ingenious idea of the yellow weight midship! I guess that helps deminish some of the misery when having to deal with working with that odd shaped throway wood you get down that way. :twisted: :D Hey, by the way are you going to the Pirates Cove show the first of May, Seetick?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
kind of a short day,
Got the ends pulled in like they're supposed to be then got distracted. Seems the local Hooter's is having a special on chicken wings and friend Keith can have a mighty strong un vie` for chicken wings, especially when Tiffany is on duty - but that's a whole 'nother story.

Instead of boat pics, i thought i'd post some tool pics that Bob requested - so those of you that ain't interested, just skip this post

skiff1012.jpg

This is a shot of some old logging saws. The top two are two man crosscuts saws, known around here as passe partout. If you notice the one at the top is wider and has a straight back compared to the second one which is narrower and has a curved back. The top one is a bucking saw - used to cut up the log after it's on the ground and the second one is a felling saw - used to cut the tree down. The other saws are one or one or two man saws used for bucking smaller logs. The smaller teeth on the third saw indicates it is used for hardwoods while the larger teeth of the bottom saw pegs it as a softwood saw.

skiff1013.jpg

This is a shot of a couple of axes- on top is a double bit axe and in the middle is a broad axe used to square up logs and make beams
There is a an adze below the broad axe and a handful of iron planes and a couple of drawknives. The little tools in the top right are a saw set and a tool for measuring the height of the saw teeth

skiff1014.jpg

This is just more adzes and iron planes. The top adz is a foot adz, the first one from the left is a cooper's adz, the second from the left is one made from a 1953 Chevy leaf spring, third from the left is made from a claw hammer, fourth is a modified brick mason's hammer and the last head is a ship's adz.

we still use most of these in our boat building effort