something different | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

something different

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
i went thru a store's whole inventory of chinese anvils before i found one that would return a good bounce on a steel ball

most chinese anvils make good doorstops

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend seedtick,

It aint a bad drive ta Marlin, but if I drive it agin frum the bayou state, I will take that highroad the High Sheriff took. I smell a trade fer that anvil.

regards
bearridge

I wont highjack no more threads, ferever. Chief Double Tongue

Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something. Thomas A. Edison

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well this anvil has got some age on it ,My dad bought it for a blacksmith shop we owned when I was 12 ,I am 63 now so I guess we have owned it for 51 years I need to get it out and make a pencil impression of the markings on the side.
This one will sing to you on a wood block ,we finally mounted it on a big truck wheel with a rubber pad to cut the noise down in the shop.
Now that old smitty would sharpen sweeps and set them on that anvil every other lick was a bounce on the anvil.
Ron
I have seen one bigger a 800 lber in a ware house in houston but they would not sell it.
Ron

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
friend Keith and i go logging for a couple of days and somebody shuts the forum down - go figure :D

ANyway we're back for a couple of days and the forum's back so here's one of the bottom boards

DSC05071.jpg

here's the other bottom board

DSC05072.jpg

next few days will just be trimming the bottom edges and prettying up every thing on the outside

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
spent a few days logging and spent a week taking the grandkids to Sea World in San Antonio...

friend Keith spent the time catching up things for his wife

we'll be back to boat building today.........

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
sorry i was gone so long but a couple of young ladies invited me to go on vacation with them

may050.jpg

but back to the skiff, the bottom extends about six inches past the transom

DSC05203.jpg

The design calls for a keel at the back

DSC05205.jpg

and a keel at the front

DSC05206.jpg

obviously there's a bit more shaping to do, but for now, we're watching the glue dry

wonder what the po' folks are doing?

Steve

Them two cuties is reason enough to miss a month of Sundays worth of postin' on here. . . grandbabies come first. . .yessirree................. :D If they was a whistler smiley available that'd a been the one to put on here... them girls is cute there, Seed, I can see you be a proud PawPaw. . . :D

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
shape up the bow keel

DSC05211.jpg

shape up the stern keel

DSC05212.jpg

flip it over - looks like it might even float - got to clean up the glue joints before starting on the decks

DSC05216.jpg