Skinny perow coming ( Brazos Cruiser SS) | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Skinny perow coming ( Brazos Cruiser SS)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Re: Skinny perow coming

She isnt finished but she got wet this afternoon, :D :D :D
I took her out to a local lake and paddled about an hour.
Loaded and ready
IM002788.jpg

Unloaded her and she floats plenty shallow ,the graphite is up three inches on the side ,she draws about 1 inch empty

IM002790.jpg

IM002789.jpg

IM002791.jpg

I pushed off and turned her into the wind and headed across the lake. I was just playing around turning her heeling her, she is super easy to handle and very responsive. Had about a 250 lb load and she was drawing 2 1/2 inches in the center. I paddled around a couple miles and then broke out the gps , Cruiser has to be in her name ,I can sit there at 4.2 or 4.3 all day long , putting out I got her up to 5.5 ,this is without foot braces. I think she will top out close to 6 miles an hour. The wind was blowing and weather cocking didnt seem to be an issue ,she just handled sweet.
Now I will go back and finish her.
Ron
PS she isnt as fast as the Duck but is close

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana

Cruising at 4.2 mph ?!! That's smokin' for a pirogue! I figured she would be fast. Looks like you've settled in on your preferred style ----big open cockpit and front and rear compartments with hatches. I'm liking that style myself. It pretty much does it all.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

It will take some miles to get to know her ,,how she handles weight and fast water, how far I can heel her ,but I did get my spacing for the foot pegs yestgerday now just need to do the hatches ,try raising the seat another inch or two.
JD I do think this is a good configuration .part perow ,part yak ,part decked canoe.
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia

JD I do think this is a good configuration .part perow ,part yak ,part decked canoe

Ron, I couldn't agree with you more! I think you may have come very close to the perfect boat with this one. Bloody well done mate. :D

respectfully,

Mick

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

JD
This part of Texas is weird ,a little rain and the plants go wild.
Mick I think this will be a good blend of boats ,and you know I will tell the good and bad as I finish her and put some miles on her.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Bears
Every boat I build I refine to my use, and after paddling and playing there are a few things I know work for me in a boat, asymmetrical is one, low profile for handling in the wind, at least 16 ft in length for speed and tracking , at least one five foot deck with hatches ,the back one can be four ft ,big open cockpit.I may throw a sleeping bag in this one and just see if I could get comfortable in it.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

I named the boat today ,Brazos Cruiser, I also weighed it. 39 lbs ,not bad for a 16 ft boat glassed inside and out.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I did a little more paddling in the cruiser today , this is one of my keeper boats,she is just fun to paddle ,I still need to spend a bunch of time in her but I can tell already I will own a boat of this design from now on.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well we build them and then cut holes in them.
Marked out and ready to put a saw on her. Always a little pucker factor on that first cut.
IM002792.jpg

Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got hem cut out wheeeeee
I cut these as big as was possible, we will see how I like that.

IM002797.jpg

started fitting and gluing in the lips for the hatches.

IM002794.jpg

glued in the rails for the adjustable seat

IM002796.jpg

She is coming together pretty good now.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
The seat should set within a couple inches of the front of the runners,but I still have some tricks up my sleeve on using whats behind the seat. stay tuned.
Now if I get enough fish are a big enough fish that I have to stack them in the floor in front of me I think I can put up with the runners till I get in. :D :D
Ron