Skinny perow coming ( Brazos Cruiser SS) | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Skinny perow coming ( Brazos Cruiser SS)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Re: Skinny perow coming

Got the decks rough cut to shape pulled off sanded and the back side glassed

IM002764.jpg

Put a second coat on the bottom she will be ready for the sanding tomorrow and put extra wear strips on the bow and stern.

IM002766.jpg

Should get an ideal how she will look tomorrow :D :D
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Got the decks glued down and all my filet ran . sanded them to shape
IM002768.jpg

IM002767.jpg

IM002769.jpg

Tomorrow finish sanding and putting cloth on the decks.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Between the rain and putting new wood floors in a house I let this slide for a few day,back on track now.

Got the decks sanded and glass put on them

IM002772.jpg

Also glued on the outside rail

IM002771.jpg

Got the cockpit sort of figured out now. I think I am going to wait on the seat arrangement until I have paddled her
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Got the last fill coat of epoxy on today.

IM002776.jpg

IM002778.jpg

I know the sides needed stifing so there are two strips inside the hul and one 1 1/2 ceders strip outside, the I took a piece of pine turned the gran at a right angle to the other strips for strength and also to carry the line of the light top.

IM002777.jpg

It will darken a little when it get the epoxy on it.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

She will start to slick up after tomorrow.
I got the side strips sanded and a coat of epoxy on them today, touched up some spots in the epoxy ,sanding starts tomorrow.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Got a lot of first done today, first coat of epoxy and graphite on the bottom

IM002779.jpg

IM002780.jpg

Installed the last wood on her ,the end caps at the back of the decks

IM002781.jpg

got the first coat of spar varnish on the decks

IM002782.jpg

She is slowly coming along.
Ron

ZipSnipe

Jun 5, 2010
Daytona Beach, Florida

Looks great!! Why didn't ya make a storage compartment out of the front? If ya have a Marine store in ur town the storage doors are only a couple of bucks?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

This is the slow part, sanding and getting the finish right.
She is getting there .

IM002783.jpg

IM002786.jpg

IM002785.jpg

Trying to make up my mind if I want to go paddle her now are wait till I get finished with the hatches
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

This one is probably going to start some controversy to. I was talking to the guy that designed this one day. we were around a bunch of boats and several perows, we walked up to one that had a pretty good flair to the sides and he ask the guy ,I bet that boat feels really tippy and I bet it is a roller coaster ride in waves hitting it from the side. I understand the flaired sides throwing a boat around from waves because of the wave hitting and lifting them, most good rough water yaks have pretty flat sides ,so that made sense. Oh the guy answered yes to both questions. To me it seems like the flair would add initial stability.
We anyway I had to know so I told him to design me a stable fast perow that would handle side waves pretty well and this is it.
In a couple days we will find out.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

My first kayak was a west Greenland style, with a nearly flat bottom (very shallow vee) and sides that were barely flared. Side waves slammed into it unmercifully. That's another advantage of a semi-rounded bottomed boat - side waves tend to slide under them with little disturbance to the boat.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Jack
I will have to wait to evaluate this boat .
I can see that a boat that has a narrow bottom would be less effected bye side waves, that sort of makes sense to me.
I will agree with you on the rounded bottom not catching as much water going upstream.
The rounded shape has one thing to it I wish someone would explain to me, I have heard it said a bunch of times that a rounded bottom boat has less initial stability but more secondary.
Part of that makes sense and part of it doesnt to me.But that is another subject.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

It gets difficult to separate primary and secondary stability when you're already on the way over. (Sort of like when you're up to your a$$ in alligators, it's hard to remember that your primary goal was just to drain the swamp.) I think that the "more secondary stability" is really describing how a semi-rounded bottom is more predictable prior to finally tipping when heeled over than a flat bottom. that's been my experience. Others may have felt it differently.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Jack that makes more sense than anything I have heard on the comparison ,basically the soft chined boat makes a smoother transition so it is more predictable.
Ill buy that
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

If the weather is decent and not raining straight down she is getting wet tomorrow, want be finished ,but need to find out how she paddles before I do anything else to her.
Ron

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana

Looking good.

The only thing I see that "may" be questionable is the square bow.

I did that on one of my canoes and the garn thing would just hit an object and stop, It would not ride up and over.

Let us know how it goes.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Baldy
This nose has a little rounding at the bottom and a pretty good slope ,I dont think it will be a problem,The Duck is alot more squared end and it works ok for me.
Ron