Skinny perow coming ( Brazos Cruiser SS) | SouthernPaddler.com

Skinny perow coming ( Brazos Cruiser SS)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Skinny perow coming

tx river rat said:
I started a 16 ft 21 inch bottom beam 24 inch top beam asymmetrical perow today .
Should be a quick little boat
Ron

That is for sure , at 21 inches on the bottom beam you are getting into the racing kayak area. It could be a tricky little sucker to paddle the 1st time. When you get the staying upright part mastered it would be a fast boat. A lower center of gravity for the seat would help. :D

Looking forward to seeing the progression of it and especially the test run.

Chuck.....

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009

tx river rat said:
The sides are not straight like a uncle Johns so I can set the rocker like I want.
Ron
How much rocker do you "like"/want?
How will you "set" it?
How long will the bottom be?

beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Got a little done to the boat today

IM002712.jpg

This boat is going to be long and skinny
I found some cedar 2 bye 6 so I am building the bottom and side panel out of strips 1 1/2 inches wide.
Works pretty good so far

IM002713.jpg

This may be old hat to some but might help some of the new guys ,first I laid out my widths every 12 inches ,then drove a nail into the wood as I measured.

IM002714.jpg

then I took a strip and bent it around the curve clamping it and then marking out the panel so it can be cut.

IM002716.jpg

More later
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Got a little more done to the boat today, I sawed out the bottom leaving a little outside the line and tomorrow I will go back and take a belt sander and bring it into the line.

IM002719.jpg

IM002718.jpg

I laid up the curve for the side panel and glued one of them up today.
I like the strip stitch and glue more each time I use it.
IM002717.jpg

Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

I will take a couple pics of the layout and finished panels and stitching of the boat.
So far I like the 1 1/2 strips ,told you there would be a couple of twist to this boat. In one pic you can see the white pine strip on the right.I poped a line then set it as a straight edge to measure from, tomorrow after I lay out my marks to cut the panel I will pop that strip loose and form it to the bottom of my panel. then I want have to measure the second panel.
after cutting the first panel I will lay it on top of the second one and mark it for cutting,then stack them and finish the edges with a belt sander.
I used stech wrap to lay on top of the table and under the stripps it worked well.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

I measured out the lines on the side panel

IM002722.jpg

Having the bottom straight edge sure helps

Drove the nails in for my lines
IM002720.jpg

Then the ole strip to mark the curve.

IM002723.jpg

When I finished marking out the panel I moved the bottom marking strip up and fitted it to the contours of the panel I had built.

IM002726.jpg

Then pulled the first panel and built the second one with out having to measure again.

IM002727.jpg

aftyer these dry I will cut the first panel then just lay it on top of this one to mark it.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Got everything cut shaped and sanded today

IM002730.jpg

I wet the bottom out for a look see at the color in the wood

IM002729.jpg

sides wet out

IM002731.jpg

I like :D
This might be my prettiest boat yet,
Ron

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009

tx river rat said:
I will take a couple pics of the layout and finished panels and stitching of the boat.
So far I like the 1 1/2 strips ,told you there would be a couple of twist to this boat. In one pic you can see the white pine strip on the right.I poped a line then set it as a straight edge to measure from, tomorrow after I lay out my marks to cut the panel I will pop that strip loose and form it to the bottom of my panel. then I want have to measure the second panel.
after cutting the first panel I will lay it on top of the second one and mark it for cutting,then stack them and finish the edges with a belt sander.
I used stech wrap to lay on top of the table and under the stripps it worked well.
Ron

I'm not following. :? What edge of the side panel are you measuring from the pine straight edge? Is it the top of the boat side or the edge that meets the bottom? After you attach the pine strip to the "bottom of my panel", will it become part of the boat or is it for mesuring and cutting purposes only? The arc you cut is it to reduce the rocker, or is it the top contour of the side?

beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

The pine strip is for measuring only, and it is set on the bottom of my panels,
The rocker is set from the curve and the flair of the sides,a combination of both.
Today are tomorrow I will start stitching it up then you can see how it fits together.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx

Finally got threw sanding
cut my forms and started stitching her up

IM002732.jpg

Those straight edges on the strips sure go together good.

IM002733.jpg

she is long and lean ,I think she is going to be a keeper.

IM002734.jpg

I will finish stiching her tomorrow and start running some fillets.
Ron