Skinny perow coming ( Brazos Cruiser SS) | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Skinny perow coming ( Brazos Cruiser SS)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ron, looking good. It doesn't look like you left yourself a lot of room for hatch bungee hardware. Looks like it's gonna be a close fit. I thought about a extra large front hatch cover like that so, in a pinch, I could take it off and step into the front compartment to get out over the bow.

Those compartments are going to be cinch to load. Might be a little harder to seal water out.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
JD
I am putting the lips in the hatch openings like most of my boats and it will have a rubber weather seal around it ,so it should be pretty water tight, I am thinking of mounting my loops for the bunjis on the side instead of the top.
I have been thinking how easy a cot tent are paddle will go into those big openings.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Been tied up for a few days, but got back to work on the hatches today ,all strips installed
IM002800.jpg

trimmed and glassed.

IM002799.jpg

Start putting hardware on tomorrow
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got the hardware on the decks today. I sure do like the cords with the hooks on them ,they are easy to handle and you can change the length and configuration as needed for hauling gear.

IM002801.jpg

I still need to install the gaskets but I think I am going fishing in her first.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
On the bow ( in the last picture ) you have a good shine on her since it looks like part of the top of the saw horse is a part of the boat. Anyway I sure hope it is nothing more the a reflection. :wink: :lol: If it isn't then you may have a little difficulty paddling her in shallow water.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The handles on the ends of the yak are very handy but I have problems with them hanging down in the water at times.
Today I put the handles on the criuser, instead of drilling a hole placing them right on the point I backed the holes up 4 inches . It leaves plent of hand clearance for carring.

IM002802.jpg

But you have to push it down past the nose and it doesnt extend low enough to get in the water

IM002803.jpg

I think it may solve that problem.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Took her out for the first fishing trip today,I just went for a couple hours but slimed the Cruiser .

IM002806.jpg

I paddled her about 5 miles today on a lake ,she will just sit up there and cruise , I need to put her on the river now
I think she is going to be a dream to fish out of on the Brazos ,fast handle easy , and float shallow.
I am a happy camper
Ron
PS I will keep working on her till I get her completed ,but she is going to see some miles while I am doing it.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Fried catfish ----MMMMMmmmmm.

Ron, she can't possibly be that good with a FLAT bottom! :wink: :wink:

Good to hear she paddles well. The river trip should tell the tale, though.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
JD
I cant tell you how good she is yet ,she is my second fastest boat, That I do know.
In a couple weeks we have a campout on the river and I will put 30 plus miles on her that weekend,I will know more after that.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I sanded some drips out of the botoom graphite this morning, after feeling the difference in the slickness I lightly sanded the whole bottom , the graphite does get slicker after drying and a light sanding till it turns grey.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
I sanded some drips out of the botoom graphite this morning, after feeling the difference in the slickness I lightly sanded the whole bottom , the graphite does get slicker after drying and a light sanding till it turns grey.
Ron

It's a messy job but you removed the outer skin of epoxy exposing more of the graphite which does make it slicker. :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Took a few days off ,but I am back to doing the little things that make a boat personal.
Got the rubber seals installed on the hatches

IM002808.jpg

I am trying something different on rod holder. I dislike the factory ones ,they stick and its hard to get a rod out when a fish hits, this is what I am going to try on this boat.

IM002809.jpg

IM002810.jpg

I do a lot of drift fishing and they seem to be at the right angle.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Review of the Brazos Cruiser
This is a neat boat ,it has a high cruise speed and tracks well but still turns easy.
This boat will be given to my granddaughter when she is ready for it and I think it will suit her well.
Like most three panel boats it shines in flat water are going down stream . Should be a good hull for the Neches race ,light , flat bottom for portaging ,and a good cruise.
I am to big and carry to much gear for this to be a tripping boat for me,and do to much upriver paddling
where a three panel doesn’t shine. It would be a great boat for day trips and a lighter paddler.
Thanks Gerald she is a sweet boat.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Been a while since I was out on the river ,well today Glen and his son and I went for a short fishing trip. It was Taylors first time in a yak and he had a ball ,we even caught a few fish.
I was in the Cruiser and she did just what she was designed for a great day boat ,fast sweet paddling and a pleasure to spend a afternoon in.
Taylor with his first fish of the day air borne
nw5045.jpg

father and son ready to launch

nw5042.jpg

Ron

SundayForever

May 18, 2011
It could be a tricky little sucker to paddle the 1st time. When you get the staying upright part mastered it would be a fast boat. A lower center of gravity for the seat would help.