PS I never left just needed to build something different

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Had a pretty good day.cut all my stations

IM002501.jpg

Got all the panels spliced

IM002500.jpg

It sure is nice not to have to worry about sanding thru veneers on the ply. I put one coat of glass on a spot just to see what it was going to look like

IM002502.jpg

I think it is going to wind up just about the colors I wanted,I like it so far.
Started stiching the bottom together but I played out.LOL
Ron

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Question:

Since you are gluing up strips, why not make your panel full-length to start with instead of splicing the panels? I'd think the staggered joint would be stronger and it would certainly look nicer. Not criticizing, just curious........

Mike

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I am way ahead of you :D The next boat I build will be full length strips no staples
Got it worked out in my head.
I wanted to build this boat from standard plans just to see if it would work since good ply is getting harder to find and the marine ply is so expensive
As far as looks go I sort of like the way the splice looks and tthat is why I leave a lot of knots that most folks discard. I want folks to see what I have done :D If you dont like the splice use the graphite on the sides and bottom and they will be covered.

Ron.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Shes looking like a boat now.

IM002504-1.jpg

This boat is narrow and long hope I am good enough to handle her.

IM002506.jpg

The only problem I had was one panel was laying in the sun and started to bow ,but a little red neck engineering worked that out

So far I am realy pleased with the panels,makes good straight edges,stiffer than ply so was easier to handle stitching,no worries with sanding thru the verniers. The panels took the bowing and twisting with no problems and I haven't put any glass on them.

IM002505.jpg

I like one more stitch in the nose and then I will start tacking her out.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I bought tite bond 111 when I started this boat in Waco. well I ran out so I tried some pro bond ,and some tite bond 11 the tite bond 111 is much better glue. and the holding strength is better.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got some more done to the duck today ,bottom tacked out

IM002507-1-2.jpg

then pulled the stiches and finished the bottom filets and flip her over

IM002510-1.jpg

Looks fast and long and lean ,we will see.
Ron

I gotta track down some cedar, I have all the panels for the Lakers laid out ready for stitcing and don't see the time for a couple weeks to start stitchin. I think may have time to rip and glue a bunch of strips tho.....Hmmmmm...wifey gonna be upset methinks.....Hmmmmmm....man or mouse.......to be continued

I'm thinkin the joint where the side to the bottom is stitched could be thickened lumber to facilitate really sanding that joint round, would give a really cool look I think. Could even be rounded off with a router or radius spokeshave....just thinkin out loud.
I know this isn't a new idea but I've only seen a couple gorgeous pirogues done this way, I'm anxious to see the yak

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well folks,I think this is going to be a winner,building the panels with the curve in them gives you a machined edge to mate up to ,I have never had a boat stitch up so easily.
As you can see in the pic the boat had more twist than I though,I dont think thats a problem with the twist. also I dropped one of the sides off the horse when I was stitching it together ,a ply panel would have broken ,this never missed a lick.
So far I havent found a thing I dont like about building one this way.

IM002510-1.jpg

Now for you guys that want a really slick ss@g Matt says he can draw the panels full length with no problem. ,no splices, a whole lot less measuring,I have already figured out how to do it staplless.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Had a pretty good day .
All the filets done.

IM002512-1.jpg

Got the shear strips on the edges

IM002513.jpg

Started laying out strip for bulkheads.
Thats it for today.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron....

Are you sure about what you are doing because it is looking a lot like a boat and not a camper. :lol:

I do like the looks of it , the strips do add a lot of character and beauty to the ugly boat , plus it looks like it will be a speed demon on the water , long , lean and sleak. It appears as if your ugly duckling will be a beautiful swan.

Patiently waiting to see the completed craft and find out what you think of it's paddling characteristics.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got some more done on her today.
Bottom sanded and wet down then resanded.
IM002516-1.jpg

Flipped it back over and installed the bulk heads.

IM002518-1.jpg

I think it is going to be a good contrast
Ron