TV 19'1"- 32 racing pirogue | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

TV 19'1"- 32 racing pirogue

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Well, here in Missouri we may be getting relief money for drought and flooding like we did in '93. We have not got an over abundance of rain here this year the Missouri river is flooding from what is coming from up in the Dakotas and they have not even started to get the biggest part of the snow melt from the mountains yet.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
My T-V is a 15 29 and plenty stable , I bet a 19 ft plus would be like being on solid ground.
I think the Mako is the boat in a Tandem.
Ron

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Doesn't look like the Mako is available to the public on JEM's site. I did find a reference to it in his forum. Did you ever en up making it? I see it was planned for 19' 10" That would be 9 inches longer than what I ended up with.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Make sure to plan plenty of forms. I only used 4 on this one and they just were not enough to keep the chine nice and smooth.........ended up a little wavy.....I just tell people I designed it that way, It is a secret hydro engineering trick that confuses the water into pushing the boat faster. :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The Mako is 20 ft
26 inches wide at bottom and 30 inches at top asymetrical.
The length and width should make this a fast boat with two good paddlers.
Ron

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Been a long time since I updated this thread. Finished the 95 mile Kansas race in good order. Just a pain to get photos loaded to a photo server and link to them separately.

I have updated them in my face book album but I don't think I can drop them on the forum directly. I have put descriptions on some of the new photos in the album of some of the details of the boat and special race modifications I have built in.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1534598649512.67478.1371187600&l=935523970b

Tom

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Yes, the boat does hold a line pretty good. I do like the rudder though, saves some energy not having to make corrective strokes. Paddled 5 miles last night with my girlfriend holding a fishing rod trolling for muskie on the local lake. No bites, but a good work out.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I guess I never did give a final report on this boat and how it did in the MR 340 race and how I did in the race.

My stretched TV although built as a tandem paddler it was adapted to be a solo at the last minute. It was a lot of boat for one person and was not particularly fast...or at least with me paddling it it wasn't. I had a hard time catching anyone and got passed by others quite regularly, but the stability and comfort allowed me to finish ahead of many others.

It was very stable. The stability allowed me to have a higher seat than most kayaks. I had my ground crew carry a lower seat also in case there was a day of strong wind predicted that would reduce my wind signature but I don't think I ever used it. I used the foot peddle rudder controls about half the time but probably only needed the rudder about a tenth of the time. One of the greatest things about the boat was versatility in foot position. I had three different ways to brace my feet in the boat and I switched between all three and crossing my legs in front of me to stay comfortable for the long paddle.

Comfort was the key for me. I finished in the upper half of my division if you include all of those that dropped out and did not finish. I have heard of lots of guys that are completely exhausted at the end of this race. Many competitors have semi permanent nerve damage to parts of their bodies. I have had a little numbness in my thumb and index finger of my right hand but it is going away. I felt pretty good after the race. I never felt like giving up and quiting, I made it to work the next Monday.

All in all I think the boat carried me down the river as quick and pain free as possible. The boat and my ground crew made the million paddle stroke journey a great experience. Glad to have photo to share instead of scars.

Tom