Stripped Freedom ( Boat got Slimed) | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Stripped Freedom ( Boat got Slimed)

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 4/10 Cooking Wood

This is going to be my camping boat and will see about 90 percent of its time on the Brazos.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

Vasgo De Gama invented the parachute. He intended it to be used as a wind anchor. Being a Spaniard, he was very close to being Eye-tal-yun, and we all know how THEY think.

As luck would have it, a real Eye-tal-yun by the name of Da Vinki was traveling through town that very day. He had a kite with a key on the string, was doing some inventing of stuff where a dog sat looking at a speaker thinking, "That guy sings bad!". But, the dog didn't get to write the label so some folks think the he was marveling at his master's voice.

Ennytheway, Da Vinki and De Gama got together, worked on the wind anchor, and Da Vinki came away with the Eye-tal-yun patent.

Old world wind blows differently than does wind here in the New World. That's why only here are found monkeys with prehensile tails. Wind anchors have to be nailed to the sand in a pattern similar to tightening head bolts on a cylinder head, cross-wise. Else, they pull loose in the middle of the night, and your tent will leak in sideways rain, and boats go into the waters of the Narragansett River, next to where Piper San's daughter found Br'r Bear in the bull nettles.

Now, I trust that you now know how to use a wind anchor. Since I've already told you more than I know, please don't ask anymore questions.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay

Jack,
I, being a sensitive soul was not going to ask, but Mrs. B came by and read the above post. She wanted me to ask how many and what kind Adult type drinks you have been into today. Whatever it is she wants to try some. :lol:
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

Wa Nabbe San, THAT was stone cold sober. And it just rolled out like pudding from a spilt cup. You oughta see me go into afterburner with a shot of Scotch. It'll curl the hair on our toes.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

The first coat of varnish is on and it looks pretty good. I will give it another pretty heavy coat and then a light sanding. Once it is sanded it will get 2 or 3 more good coats. I hope to get it slimey next weekend.

strippervarnish001.jpg

strippervarnish003.jpg

strippervarnish002.jpg

strippervarnish004.jpg

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 4/19 1st coat of varnish

Darrell, very nice work!

beekeeper

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 4/25 Rigging

I got started rigging the boat tonight. I am trying my darndest to paddle it tomorrow,but I still have to build my seat tonight. I am liking the way it's starting to look close to completion. Heres a few picks I'm heading back out to the shop to work on it somemore.

stripperrigging002.jpg

stripperrigging003.jpg

stripperrigging004.jpg

stripperrigging005.jpg

stripperrigging006.jpg

stripperrigging007.jpg

Steve

Darrell, I am definitely jealous :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That blue webbing you're using for the rigging absolutely sets that boat off. Grade A craftsmanship.

I love what you did with the framing around the hatch covers. Outstanding. Really outstanding. Can't wait to hear how she responds in the water.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

The only thing I know of the still needs to be done is build the seat base, which will be done in the morning/afterwhile. I would like to say thank you to Matt and Ron Smith for the help along the way. I must have PM'd Mat 100 times during this build. It has been a really fun build although a little tedious at times. Is it perfect? No,but it is close enough for me. This is only the second boat that I have built and it has turned out way beyond my expectations. Also thanks to Ron for letting me copy his "trademarked" kayak/camping seat base. If the weather will hold off I hope to give a paddle report tomorrow.

stripperrigging2.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Re: Stripped Freedom 98.73 percent finished

Friend Darrell,

How bout a pichur of the bottom.....then anuther one after ya pull out at the Highroad #7 bridge? [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

Lymph (v.), to walk with a lisp.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

I was tied up until about 6:00, but I snuck off to the Middle Bosque for a quik first paddle. She is great. Fast and stable and will turn on a dime. If the Pirogue is a truck this is a Cadillac. I think it will handle even better with more of a load than just my weight. I am extremely happy with this first paddle.

paddle001-1.jpg

On another note. This just pisses me off that people would waste a natural resource this way.

paddle002.jpg

Steve

:mrgreen: Darrell, the boat looks great and I'm glad it handles so well :D . . . I'll send you my address and you can freight it up to me. . . you pay the shipping, of course. . . :lol: Beautiful boat. . .

I agree with you. I saw the 2nd pic and became thoroughly disgusted :evil: . . . evidently those responsible for things like that are not true outdoorsmen who have been taught, and TEACH, better than that :? . . . To have so little respect for all things Nature is a crime. :evil: