Stripped Freedom ( Boat got Slimed) | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Stripped Freedom ( Boat got Slimed)

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I set it out in the sun today while I was moving the strongback out of the way. It looks pretty good considering it still needs one more coat of epoxy and then varnishing.

freedomstripper9002.jpg

freedomstripper9001.jpg

Paddletrucker

Jan 9, 2009
Inola, OK
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 2/20 Fiberglassed

Darell, that is one pretty hull. It sure seems like you are coming along at a fast pace. You sure are giving me the bug! My wife caught me looking at catalogs today for barns and sheet metal. Think she will figure out I am planning a shop??? :D If I had a shop, I would have already been building. :shock:

redfisher

Sep 18, 2007
Land O Lakes,Florida

Paddletrucker said:
Darell, that is one pretty hull. It sure seems like you are coming along at a fast pace. You sure are giving me the bug! My wife caught me looking at catalogs today for barns and sheet metal. Think she will figure out I am planning a shop??? :D If I had a shop, I would have already been building. :shock:
I'll tell you like they told me. Noah built the ark outside. :D

Keep up the good work. The kayak is looking beautiful.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

Got started stripping the deck today. I have been trying to figure out a problem for the last few days and finally PM'd Gerald and it took him all of two minutes to tell me how to correct it. While the form was out something warped and the deck lines were not lining up with the sheer anymore. That is all corrected now and things are going good. I will post some pics afterwhile when I wrap up for the night.

stripper10001.jpg

stripper10002.jpg

stripper10003.jpg

Darrell

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 3/04 Stripping the Deck

Finished stripping the deck tonight. No problems everything was going good so I did'nt dare stop till it was finished . I will pull the brads and start sanding tomorrow.

stripper11001.jpg

stripper11002.jpg

stripper11003.jpg

stripper11004.jpg

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 3/05 Deck is Stripped

I'm confused....it looks like all those forms are still inside the boat. How do you get them out once the deck is on?

(I have the feeling this is a dumb question, but I had to ask :? )

George

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

Once all of the brads are pulled the deck is just sitting on top of the hull. After sanding and fiberglassing deck is lifted off and fiberglassed underneath. The forms are pulled out of the hull at this time and then the deck is permanately attached to the hull. I have already learned there are noe dumb questions in building. :D

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

The deck turned out really nice. I'll fill the small cracks and give it a light sanding tomorrow. I hope to put the glass on by Friday. I just might make the wood boat roud-up yet. :D

stripper12001.jpg

Paddletrucker

Jan 9, 2009
Inola, OK
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 3/10 Deck Pre-Coat

I can't believe how fast it seems you are going. I really like the stripping on the deck. Looks cool.

Do you think you'll be happy with the weight? I know it's really too early to tell for sure, yet.

Looking great, though.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

It seems like it is going to be pretty light.The hull weighs hardly anything even since glassing.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas

I installed the bulkheads this afternoon.

100_4455.jpg

100_4456.jpg

As much as it scared me to cut on the deck I finally worked my courage up and took a saw to her.

100_4457.jpg

100_4458.jpg

This boat will probably be used about 90 percent of the time on overnight camping trips. I thought it over and decided I needed a place for a pretty good size cooler for the summer months. I did a lttle research on Bowgarguides boats and decided to cut the rear deck to allow a Igloo 5 Day extreme cooler.

100_4460.jpg

100_4459.jpg

100_4461.jpg

Everthing worked out well. Although I held my breath alot during cutting. :D

Tomorrow afternoon I hope to install the lips for the hatches and get the deck fastened down on the hull. I have a overnight trip planned for mid-week and I sure want to take this boat on it's shake down cruise. We'll have to see how thiings fall together from here. If not I can fall back on the trusty Pirogue.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 3/26 Bulkheads and Hatches

I'm trying. It's gonna be close, but if the weather holds I might make it.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 3/26 Bulkheads and Hatches

I've been thinking about the coaming for awhile now. Being a strip built boat I did not want to use plywood, but I was stuck on what to use. I finally decided tonight to use Aspen to acsent the four strips on the boat. I took a 1x4 and cut a 1/4 strip out of it and tried to wrap the cockpit,but it snapped. Then I tried to use a heat gun and it snapped again. I had a beverage and thought about it for a while and decided to make a steamer. I had some left over pieces of 2 inch tubing from building the kayak trailer. I gathered them up and welded all of the pieces together with a piece of plate (several 1/8 inch holes drilled in it) about six inches up for a boiling chamber.

stripper16005.jpg

It worked like a charm. After cooking for about 5 minutes the strips would bend around the cockpit.

stripper16008.jpg

Once I figued out how thick to cut the strips I was home free. Ended up stacking six strips for the coaming. They will be goopied to the the deck once dry with a layer of glass to keep everything fastened down tight. needed alot of clamps to keep the strips in place while they dry.

stripper16003.jpg

stripper16009.jpg

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 4/10 Cooking Wood

Very cool. I've seen that done on TV and in books. Never tried it.

That's gonna be some boat when you get it done.

GBinGA

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Re: Stripped Freedom Updated 4/10 Cooking Wood

Oh, man. The things that have been happenin here whilst I been away. . . Darrells, you got yerself one fine paddlin' 'yak there, I tell you. A beautiful job. Loved the hull work. Oh, the fever you be setting off in me. . . Got's to get me a place to do some buildin'. . . and SOON! ! ! ! What waters you gonna be takin' 'er to?