Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build. | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Chuck,

I am really enjoying your build of this one mate. And learning in the process. Thank you. 8) I have kept out of the micro balloons/glass bubble debate because I don't know anything about either.

I am however, going to be talking with Scott of ATL out here, about them. He is the local Wests System guru and he has told me he lurks on here from time to time following our builds. 8) I have encouraged him to register and log on from time to time but so far - no luck. (Bloody good bloke)

Like you, I am feeling the need for some experimenting. :D

Re your stew, Your recipe is remarkably similar to mine 8) only I cook mine in a pressure cooker. Much quicker, Once a head of steam is built up, only takes about an hour and all is ready to eat. (Just think of the extra build time 8) )

Oh yeah, try adding a couple of sticks of cut up cellery, and a parsnip or swede to the brew. Sweet potato works well too.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Chuck,

I am really enjoying your build of this one mate. And learning in the process. Thank you. 8) I have kept out of the micro balloons/glass bubble debate because I don't know anything about either.

Like you, I am feeling the need for some experimenting. :D

Re your stew, Your recipe is remarkably similar to mine 8) only I cook mine in a pressure cooker.

Oh yeah, try adding a couple of sticks of cut up celery, and a parsnip or swede to the brew. Sweet potato works well too.

Mick there are several sticks of Celery in the Stew , almost a half a stalk of fresh Celery. That is the salt for it , Celery Salt in it's natural form and so darn good for a person down here in the heat.

I have a pressure cooked but like the stove top on my cooking , keeps me in practice for out camping.... Slow and easy with wonderful smells drifting threw the house while dreaming of the final product.

As far as staying out of the Glass Bubbles debate , that is appreciated since we had someone who had no idea about them , chime in , with all sorts of off the wall suggestions and ideas. Just working with them making a boat and using them , it would be an eye opener.

Trying to explain things to some folks it like beating your head against a brick wall. :oops:

As you said ... Experimentation and the need to think and then do it. That's the key. Guess it is called . put up or shut up in a poker game. :wink: Then you can say I did this and it was great or I did this and it was disastrous , doesn't do it , experience counts.

Especially on here since so many folks are looking for answers about building boats , not the it might work ideas.

Chuck.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
g

Never having used them, I probably should not be jumping in the middle [or end] of this discussion BUT.

To prevent the bubbles from floating away how about:

Putting some in a zip lock bag, then just a bit of resin close the bag and mix it up. Then when you wanted to use them, they would be held together and the amount of resin you use to "wet them down" in the bag should not be a factor in the measuring mix.

Don't know if that would work or not.

I may order some with my epoxy and try it.

The statement above was what I posted.

To imply that it suggests all sorts of off the wall ideas seams to be a bit out of line. If thinking a bit and making a suggestion prior to actually doing something is considered a no- no, then perhaps the requirements and experience needed to post here are a bit to stringent for me.

Sorry if I offended anyone by making a suggestion

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack has a point there , this canoe might be only 14 feet and a little narrow but it sure looks like it will take a lot with it.

It will handle my camping gear without a problem. Two waterproof bags and a food container will let me have some moving around room. Especially for bailing out the water since it does rain now and then on me. :oops:

One trip (Peace River here in Florida ) I had my stuff and a partner ,plus his stuff in a 15 footer. (The last Guide model Mohawk Canoes made before discontinuing that model.) It could of been more fun if he knew how to paddle a canoe but he didn't so I did all the paddling. It was a lot easier doing it that way. :roll:

Back to the building process of the canoe..............

No pictures right now since this is the boring stage of the building. Besides watching epoxy cure ranks right up there with watchng paint dry. :wink:

The seams are epoxy saturated and curing , when the epoxy cures and is lightly sanded , then it is time to tape them and apply the fillets. Epoxy saturating the sides gives the tape something to bond to and when it is removed then it does not take any wood with it , just comes off nice and clean.
Preparation is 90% and the key to building a boat. The other 10% is pure fun. :D

Chuck.
If it will take more then two Jeep loads then I might have to trade the Wrangler in on a Hummer , you can sure get a good deal on them today. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I had a sharp reminder about something tonight......

Had supper and decided to spend a few minutes out on the boat then come in and have a shower to cool off.

While sanding down the epoxy saturated edges of the panels I installed with some 18 GA Copper wire ..... While most of the wire came out but some refuses to leave the boat , I clipped it off then used a file to get it down to the surface of the wood ..... Double checked that before using my hands with some sandpaper to sand the epoxy saturated area when getting it ready for doing the fillets.

YEP.. I got BIT...missed one little %*&@!^%& piece.... an took a small chunk out of one finger.. :oops: but like I told the wife , If I don't have a few drops of my blood in the boat then it is not really mine. Besides the blood , after you remove most of it ... does make for a darn good looking dark stain when glassed and epoxied.

If someone steals the canoe after is is together and we find it then some Lap Tech in a DNA Section sure will be able to prove this canoe is made by me and is mine. :lol:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Chuck,
You probably know this mate, but if you heat a soldering iron and hold it against the wire for a couple of minutes, the resin will soften enough to let you pull it out with pliers.

Don't touch the boat with the iron. :lol:

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
oldsparkey said:
YEP.. I got BIT...missed one little %*&@!^%& piece.... an took a small chunk out of one finger.. :oops: but like I told the wife , If I don't have a few drops of my blood in the boat then it is not really mine. Besides the blood , after you remove most of it ... does make for a darn good looking dark stain when glassed and epoxied.

If someone steals the canoe after is is together and we find it then some Lap Tech in a DNA Section sure will be able to prove this canoe is made by me and is mine. :lol:

Chuck;
I have a standard saying about how there is "a little bit of DNA" in everything I build, boats, shelves, wood fences doesn't matter. I usually find a way to scrape a knuckle or drive a splinter in a finger or something, then make it a point to leave a fingerprint on the project somewhere with the DNA (usually out of site).
You should have seen the sample I acquired while building the Wadefish 2.0.

DM
mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That's what makes the boats a part of us. :lol:

This canoe will be all DNA if this weather keeps going like it is and I understand (from past experience) that it will. They say perspiration is a good source of DNA , this canoe will sure be a 14 example of that.

That has me thinking of another project , windshield wipers on my glasses so I will have clear vision when bent over and completing the canoe. If it is not raining in the shop then when I go outside the other rain hits them and looking threw all that moisture on them , it makes me feel like I'm back SCUBA Diving. :lol: "O" Well , ya just have to love Florida in the summer all 11 months and 2 weeks of it.

At lease the epoxy flows freely and does not freeze up. :p

I worked out a pretty good mix for the fillets....... All heaping spoon fulls.
1 spoon of redwood flour
3 spoons of the pine flour
5 spoons of the glass bubbles per single batch.
I put the glass bubbles in 1st , then the wood flour over them , add the resin and gentley mix , when mixed then the hardner , mix it ... then into a 30 cc syringe to run a bead along the seam between the tape.
Next a old Cabelas charge card ( Visa ) :lol: to smooth and even the fillet. I think this is the 4th boat that card has been used on.

I hope to get two seams done each day.........
14x30%20020.jpg

JEM

oldsparkey said:
I worked out a pretty good mix for the fillets....... All heaping spoon fulls.
1 spoon of redwood flour
3 spoons of the pine flour
5 spoons of the glass bubbles per single batch.
I put the glass bubbles in 1st , then the wood flour over them , add the resin and gentley mix , when mixed then the hardner , mix it ... then into a 30 cc syringe to run a bead along the seam between the tape.

Chuck - about how much epoxy did you start with in this recipe?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have the measuring pumps on the two jugs , the two to one mix. So all I use is the two pumps of the resin and after everything is mixed then one pump of the hardener , mix and then into the syringe.

It looks like the chocolate ice cream that you would use for a good thick chocolate shake , a really thick one. :D

I tried something after the tape is pulled. You pull the tape and there is a small ridge that is rough , a little acetone on a gloved finger or a brush along the edge smooths it right out.
( One hour after it is done , I can pull the tape. )

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck,

a little acetone on a gloved finger or a brush along the edge smooths it right out.

Mate, not being a smart arse here, but do you think the acetone might degrade the integrety of your fillet?

I have smoothed my fillets out like this using a gloved finger dipped in resin but it tends to spread the fillet some and lose the nice sharp line achieved with the masking tape.

If you think your way is a better way of doing things, I will definately give it a try.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick..

I can't honestly say if it does ruin the integrity of the fillet or not. Plus I sure can't say if my way is any better then yours but kicking things around.......

I use a very small amount , the amount that stays on the rubber glove when a finger is dipped in it and when putting it ( lightly rubbing it ) along the fillet. I can do about 10 inches before it evaporates.

My guess is ...NO. It does not hurt anything since it is on the top surface of the fillet which is about half cured. Plus the acetone evaporates in a hurry , chances are before it gets into the fillet and could do any damage.

My guesstimation is if there is any damage it would be less then adding more resin to the epoxy while it is curing. The resin would not evaporate and actually reduce (dilute , slightly if any at all ) the mix unlike the acetone due to the rapid evaporation.

If the canoe falls apart when I test paddle it , later on , I will let everyone know. :lol: I'm placing my bets on the fiberglass that will go on later , to hold the canoe together. :oops: ( couldn't find a smiley with crossed fingers)

Chuck.