SS@G Northwind | SouthernPaddler.com

SS@G Northwind

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
After looking at Darrels boat today I am going to put a couple other boats on hold and build a ss@g Northwind . It should be pretty neat to paddle them side by side and see how they compare , Both are take offs of the Seawind that Verlan Kruger designed.
:shock: HERE WE GO AGAIN
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bob
I keep looking for that perfect camping tripping boat,so far the t-v is the top dog but I think this Northwind might replace it ,just have to build it and see , the Mako is going to get built.
after this one.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have high hopes for this boat ,but she does have a lot of panels so it is as close to a striper as you can get and not be one.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Cut some strips and laid out a couple panels today

nw1004-1.jpg

Sure feels good to be making sawdust again
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
9 out of twelve panels done.
I was getting sort of grumpy about how long I have been working on these panels and then realized at 9 panels thats 3 perow hulls I have laid out :shock:
I sure do like the wood I picked up .
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
I guess I am part bulldog once I start something I can not back up on it. But I enjoy the building so I guess it is a good thing.
Like Mick said ( I think this is going to be a very special boat) I am plumb excited about this build.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Strip stitch @ glue
I lay my curves out for the panel then use strips to follow that shape making a flat panel then you do them like a normal stitch and glue, basically it is a hard chined striper.
Ron

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
tx river rat said:
Strip stitch @ glue
I lay my curves out for the panel then use strips to follow that shape making a flat panel then you do them like a normal stitch and glue, basically it is a hard chined striper.
Ron

OK, thanks! I knew how you built the panels, that's a cool innovation. It was the nomenclature that threw me. Maybe an "&" would be better than an "@"

Mike

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got all my forms marked and cut ,all the panels run through the planer
It is going to start looking like a boat shortly.
I love the planer it has saved me at least 2 days worth of sanding and does a slicker job.
Ron
Now the fun part starts

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got to play with the boat a little today all the forms set and half the panels stitched on , so far I sure like the way it is turning out.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
MM
Yep been off for a few days .
Got her stitched up ,ends pulled and glued , part of the tacking done .
I sure like the lines of this boat
nw2003.jpg

The ends were a pain to line up. After I got them lined up I ran a small end pour inside to hold them

nw2002.jpg

I think the pine and some of the sap wood I used will look good

nw2001.jpg

nw2004.jpg

Ron