SS@G Northwind | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

SS@G Northwind

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
tx river rat said:
Bee
The T-V is a heck of a boat but after building 15 or so boats I am getting closer to finding out what I need and want in a boat.
I cover long distances on the water ,Matt tells me this boat has a high cruise
The extra 2 ft + in length should help speed and stability
I camp out of my boats a lot so the extra length allows me to have 2- 5 ft hatches that are sealed storage , plus an 7 ft 2 in cockpit for coolers and varies other items
The balanced decks, low nose should help in the wind
The rounded hull should help going against the current.
I dont think it is a better boat it will just fit me better.
( I HOPE) :shock:
Ron
Ron,
Remember the below post :?: What has chaned since then :?:
by tx river rat » Fri May 09, 2008 9:30 am

Well I been sitting here reading this and just can't keep my fingers from moving Lol .
I think (I know first mistake) Its all about location and what suites that local and water.
I hate canoes in my local and I have owned a few paddled a few even paddled a wen no na last summer My needs in a boat are not met by one of them. I will give them two things there a pretty shaped carry a lot of weight and if you tie everything in when you roll it you might not be chasing it to much down the river
They catch way to much wind with there higher profile and open top
I aint paddling on my knees I would never get up. being taller sided and taller sterns and bow makes them more unstable with the higher weight
With the same bottom and width as a lower profile boat. Jack got a little taste of the Brazos wind and I have paddled both the yaks and canoes here the yaks are a pleasure and the canoes are a pain .
My boats catch heck I do drag them on concrete ramps hit rocks hang up on rocks drag boat down the bank to the river half loaded drag them up on sand bars and gravel bars so they be tough enough for me.
My T-V weighs 44 lbs rigged ready to go, with no top decks bulkheads
or places to have a built in cooler I bet I can drop the weight of this boat to about 30 lbs it will be tougher than your ultra light are more impact resistant and wear resistant.
Your Rolex is tough, the ultra lights arnt they are made to carry not to trip in so for me they not a good choice Paddle my boats more than I carry them.
Again location location location Come down here and paddle your rolex at the end of the day I will be a long way ahead of you when we hit camp u be tireder than me but you can do it . I come play in the white water with you I may tear a boat up . Just have to own what works for u.
We got you beat bad on a couple things we prettier and have the enjoyment of building these boats custom built to our needs
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Nothing has changed, except I need more room for camping, I like the looks of this boat with its multiple panels ,the cockpit will be bigger . And when all this has been done we will see if it matches up to the T-V
Would this boat be better in a 15 ft length, well I probably wouldnt be building it if it was 15.
Longer, means speed and stability,my decks on this boat will be even better at shedding wind than the old T-V.
Everything I said in that post still is my belief . Ask Chuck and bear how I treat a boat and how the t-v performed in a 55 mile an hour wind.They were in some fantastic canoes
Ron
PS The one thing I think will be better with this hull is going upstream

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I got to wet the whole hull down today and I sure like her looks and lines.
Like Darrel says wetting her down all the way gives you and i deal of how she will look.

nw4009.jpg

nw4008.jpg

nw4010.jpg

Be a few days before I can get back on her.
Ron
Hull is still light :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Swampwood
I got to thinking about your post and quote and maybe I answered it wrong.
The NW is one of those boats that is a half breed , as much kayak as canoe, The canoes we were discussing in your quote were open hull high bow and stern classic canoes.
the Northwind is not that animal .
So if I understand you right my answer is nothing has changed.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well I have been stomping cussing and throwing a fit because its been to cold for the epoxy to set right and so much pollen in the air that if you had wet epoxy outside it would look like a green wooly worm in about 15 min.
Got off my backside and built a boat tunnel untill I can get my shop built. the plastic catches more heat so the epoxy worked really well today.
I put the Northwind in the tunnel and gave her a coat of epoxy to seal everything and have the color so I can start matching and filling the holes for the stitches.

nw5017.jpg

nw5018.jpg

nw5019.jpg

Epoxy sure brings out the colors.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice idea, Ronnie; good thinking. Looks like a raised garden - growing a boat in a greenhouse.

With the ends open condensation shouldn't be a problem. If you close off the ends to build heat, dripping moisture may spot up new epoxy?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bob
That has crossed my mind :lol: :lol:
Jack if you go back and look at the pic everything slopes , so even if I do seal it the moisture will run down the outside walls.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
tx river rat said:
<SNIP> Jack if you go back and look at the pic everything slopes , so even if I do seal it the moisture will run down the outside walls.
Moisture has a way of finding a drip point, usually above the most dangerous point, and then dripping right there. It may be from where the plastic abuts the wooden framework.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Yep I have, in my steel fab shop we sometime had jobs that included the paint ,but they were small enough jobs they werent worth setting dipping vats up are were to big to dip so we threw up temp paint booths
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
I am sorry if I pulled your chain by disagreeing with you , I assure you it is nothing personal
Look at the pic and I will explain to you why it does what I said it will do, center board makes a v and plastic doesnt touch anything before it hits the sides, condensation forms on plastic most of the time and it is a clear shot to the outside. If you notice the top board on the side wall isnt put on the top it is nailed on the side, so there is no platform for condensation to form on now when you set it up you build in a slope to one end, that way if you do get any moisture on the wood it runs down until it hits the next upright and then runs down just like a tepee. It is a pretty simple gismo but more thought went into them than you think.
Ron
Just for the record I probably have constructed 25 of these in the 43 years I ran my steel fab shop

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well I cant take credit for this design, in the 70s on a job I was doing for the VA an old Italian gentleman showed me these structures and how to build them.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I think this will be a special boat, It has the length for speed ,has the cargo capacity I need,
should be a slick hull as far as cutting the water .
My only concern is I hope I am good enough to handle her as far as turning with out a rudder.
Rudders dont work well where I paddle :shock:
With the bottom hull shape she should track like she is on rails.
The SS@G method has worked for me well.Lot of boats getting built that way now.
Ron