SS@G Northwind | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

SS@G Northwind

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Matt
Yep I guess I am going to do my normal decks , they just work so well in the windy environment here.
Thanks Mick , I think this will be my nicest looking boat. If you havent noticed this is a strip stitch and glue. But it has no filets :D :D , I figured with a twelve panel hull it would look like a bengal tiger with all those filets.
What I did was to take a block plane and flush fit the joints and then glue them just like a striper . it seems to have turned out pretty well.
Ron

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
tx river rat said:
Matt
Yep I guess I am going to do my normal decks , they just work so well in the windy environment here.
Thanks Mick , I think this will be my nicest looking boat. If you havent noticed this is a strip stitch and glue. But it has no filets :D :D , I figured with a twelve panel hull it would look like a bengal tiger with all those filets.
What I did was to take a block plane and flush fit the joints and then glue them just like a striper . it seems to have turned out pretty well.
Ron
Ron,
Why did you put all those stitches if you were worried about it looking bad with fillets? Now you will have those holes to fill.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Thats easy , I wanted to get the shape very close and have edges that fit well. The filets you cant hide, the holes can be color matched and blended pretty easily.
It is a strip and glue so you are going to have holes.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I need to add this , I am always trying something new.
I didnt think the filets would look bad it just wasnt the look I wanted.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If I am following this build like I think I am ....... To sum it up.....

What you are doing is combining the method of making a stripper but doing it as a stitch and glue boat. By using smaller strips of wood in place of the larger panels of wood normally used in a strip and glue boat.

Then by using solid pieces and fitting them together you are able to plain the junctions down into a rounded shape. This is because the wood is not laminated like plywood but solid wood so no lamination of the wood shows. Also the strips are smaller so there would not be the sharper junctions of the wood as with a standard one made from wider panels of plywood.

Giving it more of a stripper look then a standard strip and glue boat out of laminated wood but doing the strip and glue and not the strong back style required for a stripper.

I would say that fillets were not needed and a epoxy saturation and then glass over the boat would be plenty as in a standard stripper build.

As normal you are thinking out side of the box and doing it the tx-river-rat way.... Always thinking and coming up with new and I would say improved ideas. Now I am waiting to see it completed and especially if it will float , then we know it works.
I'm betting it will float. :wink: :lol:

JEM

If you're able to shave the panels to get a tight fit on the seams, you could build a "full" wood strip with no trouble at all.

Impressive work.

On the deck, I was just asking. Please don't think I was pushing it. In fact, using the deck as drawn helps me. But its fine either way.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt.........

The thing I am enjoying , we have two builders building the same boat in two different fashions.

Darrells is doing it the traditional way viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8162 and Ron is trying a new way...
My bet is both of them will have a good boat when done and the comparison in the building is fun to watch. This might open up a lot of new thoughts and offer a lot of information for a future builder.
Plus they are your design which was originally built as a stitch and glue , then a stripper in the traditional building style and now a combination of the previous two. . :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Matt
I didnt think a thing about the question.
I think these will be the first Northwinds built and I do think it will be a good comparison of
performance .
My low nose balanced decks have really worked well for me ,because the wind does blow in this part of the country. :shock: :shock:
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I used a combination , titebond in places and just plain epoxy in some
parts ,depended on how tight the joint was.
The panels fit pretty good so it was just shave a little in places and depending on the panels I planed a bevel on some to close them up
Pics will be coming before long.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Between laying out my shop and trying to get some done on this boat I havent posted to many pics.
Well here is a few.
Bulkheads built glassed and fileted in
nw3005.jpg

nw3007.jpg

started gluing the shear strips. That sure does start shaping the boat up.

Here is a close up of the seams , they still need a little sanding

nw3006.jpg

same area wet down with water

nw3010.jpg

and backed up to show some of the color of this boat.

nw3011.jpg

After a saturation coat I will go back and match the color of the different areas filling in the stitch holes.

Thats it for now.
Ron

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Like those seams, the hull shape is a beauty, gonna be really interesting, the comparison with this and Darrells boat.

MM

Color matching is a pain in the posterior

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
tx river rat said:
Thats easy , .................... the holes can be color matched and blended pretty easily.
It is a strip and glue so you are going to have holes.
Ron

Do you do anything special to get the color to blend? When I mix the sawdust with epoxy the filled in hole doesn't blend with the wood. It seems to turn out darker, and contrasts with the orginal wood. Not so bad on dark wood, but very visable on lighter wood.

Thanks
beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bee
I use a combination of epoxy , different saw dust wheat flour and glass spheres plus I have my secrete weapon that really helps.

I had a pretty good day on the Northwind today.
Got my decks layed out ,glued up and planed . Have them tacked down and rough cut.
nw4006.jpg

These are the dropped nose balanced de3cks I like.

nw4003.jpg

she is really starting to shape up

nw4002.jpg

she came out with about the look I wanted

nw4007.jpg

Thats all for now.
Ron

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
tx river rat said:
Bob
I keep looking for that perfect camping tripping boat,so far the t-v is the top dog but I think this Northwind might replace it ,just have to build it and see , the Mako is going to get built.
after this one.
Ron

What features on this boat do you think might make it work better than your T-V? What are you trying to improve (speed, stability, capacity, etc.)?

beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bee
The T-V is a heck of a boat but after building 15 or so boats I am getting closer to finding out what I need and want in a boat.
I cover long distances on the water ,Matt tells me this boat has a high cruise
The extra 2 ft + in length should help speed and stability
I camp out of my boats a lot so the extra length allows me to have 2- 5 ft hatches that are sealed storage , plus an 7 ft 2 in cockpit for coolers and varies other items
The balanced decks, low nose should help in the wind
The rounded hull should help going against the current.
I dont think it is a better boat it will just fit me better.
( I HOPE) :shock:
Ron