New Canoe Plans: Sasquatch 14-30 | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

New Canoe Plans: Sasquatch 14-30

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
coogzilla said:
Pic's? enquiring folks want to see the pakage.

Coogs 8)

Well.. It is about this wide or a shade less and so thick , almost , and almost this long , or close to it , more or less. I sure wish and hope this answers all of your questions. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK ,OK ... Stop cussing ..... In the morning I will take a picture so all of you that have no idea about what this wide , that thick or this long is and can see.

We on southernpaddler always do believe in helping the handicapped. :roll:

I would do it now but the Pizza guy just walked by my window delivered our pizza , priortities you know , one with everything but the little rotten fish on it. :mrgreen:

Chuck.
If he forgot the GRITS , then we will go to WAR............ :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here you go ....... The pictures on the box are 5 x 7 in a folder.

I had to fight with AOL ( the Great Demon ) , then Internet Explorer and finally FireFox to post these. In the process AOL crapped out on me so it was back to the beginning to get the pictures from Photo shop and SecureFx...... What a hassle.......

14x30%20002.jpg

14x30%20003.jpg

:lol: :lol: Ole Pup's thinks he smells Jack or some other grit stealing Polecat out there. When that tail is all the way up , something is going to get .... BIT ....if it gets in range. :roll:

At the best , when I start a new thread then it will be one or two pictures ( If needed ) at a time as I go along .... Don't think it will be necessary to go step by step since we know those steps by now.

Chuck.
PS. Coogs , I like your hat , mine arrived today and looks a lot like yours , a Resistol ( Made in America :D ) Backlander.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... PS. Coogs , I like your hat , mine arrived today and looks a lot like yours , a Resistol ( Made in America :D ) Backlander.
You two guys can run an ugly contest. Ought to be tight competition. :evil:

Tell Pups "Hello". I don't have a lot of trouble with doggies. They're usually my friends.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Chuck;
If figuring out how to get that big ol' box open with out any instructions proves to be to challenging, shoot me an email and I will drive over and take the package home with me. Thus relieving you of any more mental strain. :lol: :lol: :lol: It's alot of packing tape, but you can do it.

DM
mike

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
He forgot the instruction on how to open the kit package with all the panels in it , Do you open the left end or the right end , or just skip that and go straight for the tape in the middle ..... Decisions , Decisions , Decisions. :wink:
I don't understand, Chuckie. When we talked on the phone, you figured to just burn off the package from the kit. Sounded like a good idea at the time! :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
He forgot the instruction on how to open the kit package with all the panels in it , Do you open the left end or the right end , or just skip that and go straight for the tape in the middle ..... Decisions , Decisions , Decisions. :wink:
I don't understand, Chuckie. When we talked on the phone, you figured to just burn off the package from the kit. Sounded like a good idea at the time! :roll:

Since then the county has come up with a burning ban , no fires outdoors and no sane person would have one inside with all the summer time heat. :lol:

Chuck.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
oldsparkey said:
Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:

Since then the county has come up with a burning ban , no fires outdoors and no sane person would have one inside with all the summer time heat. :lol:

Chuck.

I believe the operative word in this statement is "sane" . That gives you a green light to light your fire,as it were, in the house. :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mike....

I take deep regret and absolutely no pleasure in telling you this but consider it my duty to do so. Dang this is starting to almost sound like a Dear John letter. :lol:

"O" Well back to the subject at hand , I took my trusty pig sticker and tackled the box before it could get away , a slice here and a cut there , round and round we went ( It was a quite gruesome battle and not for the faint hatred ) then before I knew it the box was open. The panels were rescued from the cardboard monster before it could keep consuming them.
I'm proud to say the panels are in good health and enjoying the easy life lazying around on my workbench.

On the other hand services will be held for the cardboard monster on trash day , Please no flowers , send cash only.

That is some nice wood and I see what Matt was telling me about the panels , a couple of the panels are are most twins , thanks for labeling them.
There is a slight amount of clean up to do , the heat down here caused some of the glue from the tape to stick to the wood but with some rubbing it rolls right off.

Chuck.
A Bald Cypress , I have papers to say I'm sane , Do You. :lol: If not Then A Bald Cypress and friends ..... for only $19.95 the Bodine School of Misguided Shrinks will send you a set. Just mail the money to Cleveland , Mississippi. Or to me here in Florida and I will forward it. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
oldsparkey said:
There is a slight amount of clean up to do , the heat down here caused some of the glue from the tape to stick to the wood but with some rubbing it rolls right off.

Sounds like I should put a little stretch wrap around them instead. I'll do that on the next kit I send you. :p

It would save you the bundle that you spent for all that tape. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously ....It did do the job , there was not a single loose item in the package. Plus the idea of the bow and stern alignment Jig's are a really good idea. Looking forward to the step when they come into play. No matter how hard I try there is always a slight wave in them and those Jigs will correct that problem. :D

Chuck.

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Publix is a nice store. They even have Fosters.
What could be better than Fosters and a good canoe?
Maybee some ribs? Jeez I dunno.
Coogs

Hey, is the potato salad any good.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Going to try something new , right after I get back from Publix with a can of Fosters , OK.. I will try it a lot later after the Fosters and a good steak from them. As I told Matt , No hurry on this build , don't need it till November and it should be done by then. :lol:

I like to put down a sheet ( 16 inches x 30 inches) of 1/8th inch (Thickness) plexiglass then put the two areas to be joined over it and another one on top of the joint when fiber-glassing them together , Making a butt joint.

Goint to do the same with a twist , I will cover each sheet of plexiglass with a chunk of heavey duty garbage/yard bag and pull it tight , tape it on the back side so the working area is nice and smooth. The reason is that with a lot of use the plexiglass becomes scared and it makes it a lot harder removing the epoxy that gets on it. The garbage bag should stop that. Plus if you use plastic of anytype and don't have it smooth under and over the joint then you have waves in the joint from the cured epoxy.... Lots of sanding not a lot of fun.

Chuck.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I had no plexiglass when I was splicing the sides and bottom of my pirogue, and it's thirty miles to the nearest place to aquire plexiglass.
So I split open some plastic compost bags, taped them on an old Humble oil sign,laid down my plywood, applied too much epoxy (Remember, this is my first boat that has a possibility of floating. I ain't taking any chances!),centered my carefully carved plywood scab, applied more epoxy, streched another compost bag over the joint, laid an aluminum"neighborhood watch" sign on the joint, and then put about 15 bricks on the sign.
It worked great! However, the printed side of the bag seemed cleaner, so I put the printed side toward the epoxy, And the epoxy glommed onto the printing.
Actually, It looked pretty cool. If I had centered the logo, or the picture, I might have left it. But of course, I had the instructions, in mirror image running diagonally across the scab.
I spliced both sides at the same time, and five minutes with a belt sander took care of the problem.
But, when I spliced the bottom together, I made sure I got the inside of the bag against the epoxy.
I have made so many mistakes on this boat. But I'm learning. And I already have another pirogue cut out, just waiting for this one to get itself off the bench!
And some canoe plans ordered.
And a passel of small sailboat plans perused!
Then a 32 foot sloop.
Then a 60 foot yawl.
Then a 180 ton schooner.
The paddle and sail driven oil tanker will have to wait till next Summer.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Or you could just put over lapping strips of packing tape on the plexiglass. Thats the way I do it, but I just put strips of tape down on my work table under the area that is going to be epoxied. And then a some strips on a wood board that I am going to use to clamp down with.

DM
mike