New Canoe Plans: Sasquatch 14-30 | SouthernPaddler.com

New Canoe Plans: Sasquatch 14-30

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
WOW......

Matt , I think you have done it ..... That would be one sweet solo canoe.

At......
Length 14 feet
Width at 30 inches ( that's the same as the pirogues I make.)
The bow height and stern at 18 inches and mid-ship at 13 inches.
Rocker at 1.5 inches for both the bow and stern , she should be easy to turn and easy on the straight aways. :D
Then the carrying weight at 400 pounds with the canoe weighing between 33 and 43 pounds depending on the builders skill.

The low cost ( the kit at $499.00 , or getting the plans for $55.00 and purchasing the rest yourself for less) compared to a premade one like a\the Bell Canoes , Merlin, at 15 feet and 31 pounds for only $2,475.00.

Yours is almost a $2,000.00 savings for a canoe that I believe would preform the same as there's plus yours is wood. :D .

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
Can Chuck read a script or what?

Not me I like pictures and lots of them , like someone paddling this newest creation. Might call it as this old goat just thinking out loud , OK..Typing but still thinking.

The honest truth ..... I have been having a war with myself for several years , OK more then just several , about getting one of the Bell Canoes , either the Magic or the Merlin and dang it if you did not come up with a canoe that fits the bill.

My dreams of having one of the Bell Canoes started when a friend got one and had it here at the house so he would have it when he came down to Florida to paddle , what a sweet boat , light and compact but I did not like the cost , plus it was not wood. :evil:

Almost bought one a year or so ago , If I would of had the checkbook with me , fortunately I didn't so it never gave the Boss a reason to break my check writing hand. She thinks I have to many boats , anyway what do wives know besides that I only have a few pairs of shoes and wear the same old things unlike someone else living/around here and it ain't pups , he wears the same thing everyday, never changes and hates shoes. :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister Sparkanator,

I got my eye on the Merlin II, but not rite now. 10-12 days in the ICU 'n all them $10 Tylenols put a hurtin' on me....had ta dig up three Mason Jars. :? However, when I looked at Matt's new canoe, it called out ta me.....like a sireen tryin' ta call Jason over ta the rocks. I didnt even read how much it weighed. I jest liked the look of it.

Fer me 43 pounds iz too much 'n Lord knows I aint no master builder so 33 pounds iz out, but Matt's canoe at 33 pounds jest mite be the ornament at top of the Christmas tree. I mite even tell Ole Bret ta git one fer hizownself. :mrgreen:

Even if I wuz a master builder 'n made this come in at 33 pounds, I dont wanna worry bout draggin' the boat up the concrete 'er over the rocks 'n stabs. I jest gotta git past how much Blue Cross pays 'n how much I gotta pay so I kin figger out how far my long, strange, trip haz been blown off course.

Three cheers fer Matt.....now fer the inside design like in the Merlin II. :lol:

most respectfully
bearridge

This is the grave of Mike O'Day
Who died maintaining his right of way.
His right was clear, his will was strong,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
Anonymous, on a gravestone

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I keep thinking I know which one to build after the pirogue-T....than you go and do this! :cry:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Mister Sparkanator,

I got my eye on the Merlin II, but not rite now. 10-12 days in the ICU 'n all them $10 Tylenols put a hurtin' on me....had ta dig up three Mason Jars.

Fer me 43 pounds iz too much 'n Lord knows I aint no master builder so 33 pounds iz out, but Matt's canoe at 33 pounds jest mite be the ornament at top of the Christmas tree. I mite even tell Ole Bret ta git one fer hizownself. :mrgreen:

Even if I wuz a master builder 'n made this come in at 33 pounds, I dont wanna worry bout draggin' the boat up the concrete 'er over the rocks 'n stabs.

Bear...

I am no master builder myself , never built one but I have made a few boats. :roll:

I'm a thinking that if a person does not go overboard ( all the gingerbread) on the build the canoe can be made at 33 or with some thinking , even less.
Something I'm running around in that vacuum I call a brain , just working out how to do it while sitting and starring at my canoe....It's 16 feet at 40 pounds. Lets see .... elimate that , change this.....Himmmmmmmm. Matt's is 14 feet and a few inches narrower....... Himmmmmmmmmmmm 33 is possible. :D Made the pirogue at 16 feet and 32 pounds..........If I could make the canoe at 32 or 32 and 15 & 1/4 Oz just to pick on Matt"s 33 pounds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I reckon 33 pounds is definately do-able probably a little less than that even. I want this one for bouncing over rocks and such so if I can come in at under 40 I will be happy.

JEM

I think an experienced builder could flirt with a number right at 30. But I like to be conservative in my estimates.

Nothing drives me up a wall more are these boat webpages... wooden plastic or other... that talk about how ultra light their boats are. Then you come to find out that's with no trim, seat, and paper-thin materials that would crack on the first rock.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Matt,

My Laker failed. It was built as you described and using the very worst sheets of a batch of interior grade 3mm (slightly less than 1/8" thick ply)

She weighs (I think) 15.2 kilograms loaded. That is, loaded with 5 rod holders, seat back band foam seat base, hatch and tackle tub.

2007-10--14019640x480.jpg

It was never built for, or intended for running white water or bouncing off rocks. It did this very well however, and took several very bit hits that would have destroyed or otherwise severely damaged an all fibreglass boat wellbefore my cheap ply and paper thin fibreglass and epoxy boat cracked. Actually the fibreglass cloth I used was the thinnest I have ever seen and at a guess, woud call it as being thinner than paper. :p

That is all it did, crack. I was still able to paddle it home and the damage was very easily fixed. :D I will be building another of your magnificent designes very soon, :p specifically, to play in these rocky areas, I will using way better ply and heavier fibreglass - inside and out with, possibly, a double layer of ply in the likely impact areas. :twisted:

I have absolute faith in your boats. My laker, with its rubbish ply and very thin skin stood up to abuse in conditions that have actually destroyed other boats (factory made) :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
I think an experienced builder could flirt with a number right at 30. But I like to be conservative in my estimates.

Nothing drives me up a wall more are these boat webpages... wooden plastic or other... that talk about how ultra light their boats are. Then you come to find out that's with no trim, seat, and paper-thin materials that would crack on the first rock.

I'm thinking of a pratical boat that can be used in any part of Florida without any worries but still be short on the weight , not something to sit on a display stand and gather dust.
The flip side of the coin..... Not a white water boat , that needs to be a battleship.

Chuck.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
oldsparkey said:
WOW......

Matt , I think you have done it ..... That would be one sweet solo canoe.

At......
Length 14 feet
Width at 30 inches ( that's the same as the pirogues I make.)
The bow height and stern at 18 inches and mid-ship at 13 inches.
Rocker at 1.5 inches for both the bow and stern , she should be easy to turn and easy on the straight aways. :D
Then the carrying weight at 400 pounds with the canoe weighing between 33 and 43 pounds depending on the builders skill.

The low cost ( the kit at $499.00 , or getting the plans for $55.00 and purchasing the rest yourself for less) compared to a premade one like a\the Bell Canoes , Merlin, at 15 feet and 31 pounds for only $2,475.00.

Yours is almost a $2,000.00 savings for a canoe that I believe would preform the same as there's plus yours is wood. :D .

Chuck.

Chuck, that's pretty good sales copy. What line of work did you say you were in?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Today I'm a retarded cop , :roll: before then I was in advertising with J.C.Penneys , did displays , Ads and set up new stores for them. Then 27 years with the Seminole County Sheriffs Dept.

To be honest I think this canoe is something a lot of folks will want. Not knowing about the different folks and there likes , only knowing mine .......I just sent Matt a check for one of the kits so I can make it. ( A good one that will not bounce or require Confederate money when/to be cashed)

Yep.. Something different for me I am getting the kit. This way I don't have to saw out the 20 pieces and temp frames to make the 10 panels for the canoe. After this last surgery and being laid up , not doing anything or lifting over 5 pounds for three months I think it is the best way to go , sure don't want to make the defibrillator mad at me or break either of the leads going into the heart. Have done that before making a different canoe and it was no fun. Besides I am getting tired of the Hospitals , Cardio docs having fun and me doing nothing..... I think the kit is worth every penney , to aviod that health problem.

Now to make matters better and the future brighter Matt told me if I make it , it should float but he did not say for how long. MAN .. Does he know me. :lol: I did not have the nerve to tell him I was sure it would float a lot longer then I would. :wink: Who cares I intend to stay in it not outside of it when paddling so I don't have a floating problem.

On the serious side......... :p
As I told Matt... I have some ideas that I want to try and it will be a slow build , not a quick one because each step will take some time and I never get in a hurry except at supper time. "O" By the way when I get done , it will be the canoe as Matt designed it , no cutting this or that off , just using some different woods or you might say a combination of them. It will be a summer time project for me , unless I get in a hurry and then ....................................................

Chuck.
To hot down here for camping in the summer , that is the time to make boats....early morning and late evening. ( then camp in the house with the AC during the mid day) In the fall and winter pack them up with the gear and use them. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
oldsparkey said:
..."O" By the way when I get done , it will be the canoe as Matt designed it , no cutting this or that off...

I think the sun got in my ears and I heard him wrong.

NOPE... Ya heard me right ... It will be just as you designed it but on the trim and a few things I will do some gingerbread with different woods and other stuff that has been rattling around in that vacuum I call a brain.

"O" By the way Matt if it does not work out .. is there a money back guarantee. :lol: :lol: :lol: ( Seen the note below)

Chuck
PS. Matt , say one blue ocean , two blue ocean , three blue ocean till the ringing stops in your ears and you blood pressure is back to normal. :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Glad to hear you're building another boat, Chuck. Goof therapy.

I'm feeling better just thinking about building it , when I get to sniff the sawdust and snort some epoxy I know things will get better.
I don't know who said building wood boats is NOT addictive but who ever said it sure did not know what they were talking about. :roll: I guess the great thing is there is no 12 step program to get over the wood boat addiction so all of us can be a little Goofy.

Chuck.