Building a square stern pirogue strip, stitch and glue | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Building a square stern pirogue strip, stitch and glue

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
That is a beautiful boat but I would like to offer an opinion on two changes I would make if building a similar boat I would make the strips on the transom horizontal instead of vertical and I would make the deck with a crown(higher down the center).

I'm curious as to why you would make those two changes. Are they for structural/construction improvement or just better visual appeal in your opinion?

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Visual only.
Thanks for posting, we appreciate and value feedback.(Even the Marine!!) Agree the deck would look better if the center line was raised and sloped forward, Texas River Rat did one similar looked great and no doubt would add strength to the front section of the boat. The Herring bone was challenge enough for the first time! We initially laid the transom up horizontally, but decided the glue joints were not strong enough for the twist of an electric motor and overlaid another layer of strips.
We are sure going to miss this forum. Chuck and Robin have spoiled us. I don't have any Idea of what is involved to keep it going. I wondered if we could pay some one to do it? Maybe a private FB group? Some kind of email list?? I'm game to help within capabilities.

Chuck and Robin thanks for facilitating the knowledge exchange and the cherished friendships.

ulav8r

Jan 25, 2022
Thanks for posting, we appreciate and value feedback.(Even the Marine!!) Agree the deck would look better if the center line was raised and sloped forward, Texas River Rat did one similar looked great and no doubt would add strength to the front section of the boat. The Herring bone was challenge enough for the first time! We initially laid the transom up horizontally, but decided the glue joints were not strong enough for the twist of an electric motor and overlaid another layer of strips.
We are sure going to miss this forum. Chuck and Robin have spoiled us. I don't have any Idea of what is involved to keep it going. I wondered if we could pay some one to do it? Maybe a private FB group? Some kind of email list?? I'm game to help within capabilities.

Chuck and Robin thanks for facilitating the knowledge exchange and the cherished friendships.
I was thinking after my last post that the deck probably would be a little stronger if it were crowned. Yes I too will miss this forum though I have not been on it very long. It would be great if it could be moved to groups.io.com. I am a member of several groups there though some of them have had no traffic in quite a while. Facebook is a nogo because threads are not used and posts can't be followed.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
This short discussion of the deck's shape illustrates what I find so fascinating about boat building,
Make one change and it can/will/could have other repercussions. They may be insignificant or drastic.
Crowning the deck on this boat would increase it's resistance to a downward force(someone stepping on it). It would also offer less strength in keeping the sides spread. That is probably not an issue with this build. Plank sides or a boat with maximum flair may need the increase strength.
Changes can add to or reduce the difficultness and/or amount of work involved. The beauty of building/designing your own boat is you get to choose. If it works and you like it then it is a success.