Now, there's a boat that needs some mud and blood and scales in it........
I tried but the fish didn't want to ride in my new boat. probably the fresh paint smell. I was able to catch one on the maiden voyage, and tracked in some mud. The bayou had a scum that left a serious water line. Everyone said I spent too much time trying to make it pretty. It was going to get dirty and scratched as soon as I started to use it. It will never be the same again, but it was built to use.
My seat also broken in. I had glued stripes of "rubber" place mats on the feet, but these came off.
I really enjoyed building the U.J. seat. It is a great design and I would think lots of folks use them. I made the following modifications, and would like others to post their changes and results.
1. Bottom and back is 1" wider.
2. Used 1"x 3/4" board with turned tenons instead of round dowels:
3. Slats were 5/8" thick instead of 1/2".
4. Slats have a tenon routed to join them with the seat and back support:
5. Middle of bottom side 1" wider than plans. Arch made high enough to fit over ribs:
6. Plywood shear plates put on inside of chair:
7. Used 1" brass nails instead of brads.:
8. Lift shoes for elevating height of seat if desired.