A Comfortable Pirogue (Boat) seat ..ya can make | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

A Comfortable Pirogue (Boat) seat ..ya can make

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Justin

I have used the seat in a pirogue with 12 inch sides and one with 10 inch sides.... I could not tell any difference with either of them.

I also use the seat , all of the time , in the Swamp Girl and it has 9 inch sides.
All of the boats were paddled with a canoe paddle and for covering a distance, or if I was lazy, :roll: a kayak paddle.
A kayak paddle will help you cover more water since you are using two blades and not just the one as with a canoe paddle. Might say you are doubling your pleasure. :D

One thing about the seat.... If you want to a person can just sit back and enjoy life because of the backrest, a definite advantage over a canoe seat and this seat can even be used (for comfort) in the campsite.

Uncle Johns, wife (Barbara) made one and uses it at sporting events while watching the games......Something I never thought of.

It is comfortable and does not interfere with my paddling when using either style of paddle. A side benefit to the seat is that it lowers your center of gravity and helps to give the boat more stability compared to a higher seat.

By not having the seat attached to the boat , the seat can be mover in the boat to adjust the weight when the boat is packed with camping gear or for fun a additional seat can be added for a guest on a day paddle. This way one boat becomes a solo or tandum boat.
I think it would be a good seat for your boat , I like mine. :D

Chuck.

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
Bought the plans a few days ago for the seat but haven't started on it yet. Any thoughts on best wood to use? I was actually thinking of using the cheap whitewood for the first one (maybe I will make a nice wood version later). Whitewood is really cheap and light but rots like an SOB and is not very strong either. The seat will be stored inside so the rot thing shouldn't be a big problem. Southern yellow pine seems a bit heavy.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I made the Original One out of left over wood (Pine for the slats ) and Poplar for the sides.....it is still here with me. The 2nd one was made from Cypress with brass hardwear and it should or will out last me.

Both are epoxy saturated to protect them. I really don't think it matters since the idea was to use left over wood and then epoxy them for protection. You might say it just depends on how hard you sit down so the stronger pieces need to be in the seat if you are not graceful on roosting (sitting) like me..... I just plop or fall down. :D

You can always add some left over glass to the underside of the slats to beef them up , I had to do that to one that wanted to crack on the original seat. :D I forgot to pre drill the nail hole and the wood wanted to split when I drove the nail in it.

All of my boats and everything else is stored in my workshop and out of the weather when not out on a trip.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I paddle a pygmy, Coho kayak (at times) , http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/coho.asp and it is just 23 inches wide with a double paddle .... It is just what we have taught ourselves to do. No one can tell you how to do it ... that is something all of us have to do on our own. Folks can suggest things but that is what they like and might not be your thing.

Like I say ..... Not everyone drives a Ford........ Some of us like something different.
Chuck.

Aardvark

Seat

Chuck (and the rest of the Geezers!)

Finished up the Uncle Johns/ Chuck seat yesterday:

seat.JPG

Made a few changes from the plans:

1. Didn't use the 1/4" plywood stiffeners on the sides because a, no scrap plywood on hand and b, couldn't see the need! Of course it'll collapse now that I've admitted this, but looks strong enough without them!

2. Cut the dowels to 15 inches. I'm lazy and 15 inch increments are easier to lay out than 15 1/8 (lessee, 15 1/8, 30 1/4 ?????)

3. Likewise, cut the slats to 16 inches; heck the tape measure is even marked in 16 inch increments (golly!) nailed and glued sorta flush with sides then sawed and sanded them flush (nice to have a 6" belt sander! came in handy sanding the round parts of the sides. Normally used for fitting recoil pads and other stock work; first time pine has been sanded on it-normally its walnut!)

4. Couldn't find any 1/2 thick material for the slats; used 11/16" thick. So much the better to hold my "fluffy" butt

Haven't used it yet in Buckey, but tested it out here in the shop. Lot easier on my bum knees to get up out than sitting flat on my butt!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Art

I designed the seat just the way Uncle John does his pirogues http://www.unclejohns.com/ or Matt with his canoe and kayaks http://www.jemwatercraft.com/ they design there boats ...... To fit the paddler and to let them make it the way they want it. :D

We make suggestions and offer the ideas but the final product is up to the builder because he is the one using it and building it.
I wish you like yours as much as I like mine , I am a sucker for good boats and comfort when paddling.

YEP ... I think it is really comfy ... that is why I sent the plans to Uncle John so he could have them with the pirogues. I was thinking there were a lot of folks out there like me.
I even have a spare , just in case I eat to much of the good camp cooking and break the original one, it is made from a lot thinner wood. :oops:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hey Aardvark,

Nice job man.

One just like that might be the ticket for my Swampgirl, I think.

Hey Chucky,

From some of the posts here, It seems you come from a very similar background to me. :D.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hey Chuck,

Here's a little story you might enjoy.

I hope you don't mind, but a couple of days ago, I showed a picture of your beautiful seat to some of my prisoners who are always BSing about how good they are. The converstion went along these lines.

Me " Have a look at this, isn't it nice."

Crim " Yeah its OK. did you make it."

Me, "No, a bloke in the States did. he's selling the plans for it. I'm thinking about gettin em."

Crim, "Why, we can do that."

Me. "BS. No way. Not from just a picture."

Crim, "Course we can Webby. You've got no faith man. we're criminals, not stupid. What do you want it for anyway."

Me. "So I can sit in a comfortable chair in the sun on the cold mornings and watch you buggers work. You can try if you like but you'll never get it right"

And so the challenge was set.

I thought no more about it and yesterday, they proudly presented me with something very similar to your chair (and a fine job they did too) and now I have a place in the sun this winter to sit and warm my poor old joints. I just wish I was able to take a camera in thereto get a pic of it to show here.

regards,

Mick

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick

You are a sly ole fox ........ Getting the inmates to make your boat seat for you, Darn ......wish I would have thought of that before I retired but since I put a lot of them in there I would be scared how that chair would have turned out. :wink:

Now if you get them to make your boat for you ...... Make sure the credit is given to those who did the work. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,
but it is an ethical thing.
1. I didn't buy the plans so I have no intention of plageurising (I think that is how it is spelt :oops: ) or improperly using Chucks good work. if somebody else wants such a chair, They can jolly well buy the plans.

2. I would not remove the chair from the prison because all the component parts (and the work) would then be stolen.

3. Due credit has been given to you Chucky. This forum and Uncle Johns store have been duly mentioned in despatches. After the interest shown in the chair, I am fairly confident that there will be orders from this part of the world.

4. I build boats for the pleasure of building them. Why would I share that with a bunch of villians. Also, all of the above reasons apply here too.

Guys, Like Chuck has mentioned in other posts, I too value my integrity above all else. I felt as guilty as hell about using the pics of Chucks wonderful chair as I did but I never expected my crims to be able to work it out. So now I have this very nice little folding chair in my work area that my crims have named Poppies Chair and will not let anybody else use it.

Sorry to get all serious here guys, but personal integrity is a serious matter. If I want a chair for my SG I will buy the plans for it. Chuck, I was a state policeman for 15 years and like you, I put many behind bars, sometimes for life. A couple of these fellows now work in my area. No-one there has tried to hurt me yet and I would like to think that the fair and honest way I have tried to deal with them might play some part in that.

regards,

Mick

JEM

Nothing wrong with that chair being made from a picture. My guess is the builders looked at, did a bit of trial and error (no pun intended...well maybe a little one) and came up with their own design.

If it's as comfortable of Chuck's/John's chair, well then that shows it's a good, common-sence design. Not everyone can build from a picture, so the plans are a good value.

By the way, I was joking about the business opportunity thing.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick

I gave those plans for the chair to Uncle John, he wanted to sell the plans on his web site and give me a percentage of the sales.
I declined the offer by telling him that would make me a partner with him and if that happen then I could not recommend his pirogue kits since it would be making a profit for me ...........so I gave him the plans.
I designed the chair and have the pleasure of taking credit for it ... Uncle John makes the $$$$ from it not me.

In all of my years at Law enforcement I have had folks that I arrested serve time and then when they got out they would stop by the Sheriffs Office to look me up so they could take me out to lunch.
Several of them told me that was the only thing that straighten there life out and actually thanked me for it. I told them I did not do anything they did it for themselves, both ways, in and out. They are some good people who just went the wrong way and there are some that don't know any way but the wrong way, they stay in the joint.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi KJ, Matt & Chuck.

KJ, the bloke in the mirror is often the harshest judge.

Matt, thanks mate. I knew you were only joking, I just felt the need to clarify my position.

Chuck, I understand how you feel about the gratuities mate. You sound like what we call an old fashioned country copper. I was one of that breed and served most of my time in outback country towns with one or maybe two Officers to cover a district of up to 26 thousand square miles. Thankfully, in those places, the population is very low even by our standards and often the most serious crimes were such as cattle stealing. I was often away on bush patrol with the black tracker (yes we still call em that) for a week or ten days at a time in desert or semi desert and was pretty much my own boss. I better stop now. I am feeling the need to go bush again.

they were the best days of my life.

regards,

Mick

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Dang good on ya mate. The High Sheriff haz ta go ta the bush purty often hizownself. I look the other way. :mrgreen:

The Commodore come up with a swell chair we all like ta set in.

Chairs iz held in high regards by geezers.

Integrity 'n chairs....they jest go together. :wink:

respectfully,
bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud

You know how it works Jake, you ride with an outlaw, you die with an outlaw. I'm sorry you crossed the line. Gus McCrae