A Comfortable Pirogue (Boat) seat ..ya can make | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

A Comfortable Pirogue (Boat) seat ..ya can make

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Competition for a boat or beach seat a person can enjoy..... Free enterprise, I love it because it always creates new ideas. :D
Keep them coming.

Now just to keep things on an even keel (since we do talk about boats :D ) and to have equal time (representation) I thought I would post a picture of my chair, the one I design for my pirogues and Uncle John sells on his web site.
Besides ... I took the picture from his web site since I was the one who snapped it in one of my boats and sent him the picture.

Chuck.

chuckseat_small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Matt,

Lovely lookin seat mate. Well done. I just wish our Aussie Quarantine mob would let us import timber products. I would buy one - now.

Guys, a question. Just how critical is it to sit so low in a swampgirl. With the wide,flat bottom, I reckon you could stand in one.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Matt.

By the way, AUTUMN HAS ARRIVED YAHOO!!!!!

The sun has just come up here and I am wearing a jumper for the first time. Had to get out of bed and find a blanket last night. Bloody lovely.
Temp is now about 68F - with the promise of much cooler mornings to come. You little beauty

The change of the seasons here has all the suptlety of a 4 pound hammer on a gong. yesterday was sweltering hot and went to bed with just a sheet.
This morning, wearing track pants and a jumper and thinking about filling the wood box for the log fire soon. We have a window of about 3 weeks of true Autumn and then BAM, winter is here (such as it is :D )

Oh boy, can't wait to get back down the shed and into the swampgirl. Work in comfort, beautiful.

Gotta go,Gotta go,Gotta go,Gotta go, :D :D :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Hi Matt,
Guys, a question. Just how critical is it to sit so low in a swampgirl. With the wide,flat bottom, I reckon you could stand in one.

GOOD Question.. I will have to find out this summer.
Never stood in the Swamp Girl except for getting in or out but she did not rock on me like most boats want to do. You can move around in her and not worry about going swimming , unless you want to. :D

All I have done is get in ...... then have a seat, I like to sit low but not on the floor (it keeps the branches from knocking my hat off) paddle/fish and have a good time.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I knew when I made that one for my pirogue back in 2003 and then let Uncle John have the plans to sell on his web site there would be spin offs of it by other folks.

This is the great thing about folks who make there own wood boats, we all think alike and come up with the same (close) ideas.

Personally I consider it the highest form of a complement but I still like mine better, the back folds down for easy storage :D

freedom%20077.jpg

Now lets see how long it takes someone to come up with the idea of using an already made chair and attaching a base to it so you don't sit in the water in the bottom of a kayak.

freedom%20109.jpg

freedom%20106.jpg

Chuck.

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
I'm impressed chucky. You and Uncle John have a good thing going with that chair. Just gotta scrub it down with some sandpaper on the sharp edges and seal it and away I go. I purchased the plans yesterday and this afternoon I tackled it. Its a comfy one. Thumbs up.

boatseat02.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Scooter,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have fallen in love with teardrops. and I just love the lines of your little beauty. Do you have a link to your build story mate? please.

Scooter

Got 'er done. Now for final sanding and varnishing.

For an alternate squaring method I clamped it against the rip fence on my table saw (blade lowered and unplugged) and sighted along the straight edges. Nice and flat too, unlike my chipboard shop floor.
2007_0430Image0026.JPG

2007_0430Image0016.JPG

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I add to the feet of the chair some felt to help it stay in one place and to help save wear and tear on the bottom of the boat.

The felt is easier to work with and to find , but you could use some thin rubber.

The rubber can be from anything that is thin , like a old bicycle tube. Just put some contact cement on the feet of the chair , then a little on the rubber or felt and stick them together , now trim the excess with some scissors or a knife.

Chuck.