The Current river Missouri | SouthernPaddler.com

The Current river Missouri

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Hark! Br'r Rabbit speaks:

"OHHHhh - don't throw me in dat briar patch, Br'r Bear!! PULLEEEEZE don't make me paddle those distant waters. OHHH don't make me camp on those far away shores."

"And, pullleeeeeze, Br'r Bear, don't make me share Scotch around that crackling campfire with Br'r Tom - that mean olde man from Buzzard's Bluff."

"And I don't NEVVVVER wanna see the countryside that Br'r Paul kin force me to see."

OOO Rahhhhh I've died and gone to heaven! The Five All River Rendezvous Trip (FARRT) is looking good.

"At ease now; I'll be in the area all day."

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I'm working on it Jack. So far the Current, the Jacks Fork and the Eleven Point can be done from a base camp at Two Rivers camp ground.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Usually that's what I do Chuck. What I'm trying to put together here is a chance to see five of Missouri Ozark rivers using local outfitters for shuttling to and from put ins and take outs. Having a base camp would reduce the load on transportation. Late September will be pretty peaceful even in the campgrounds. Both of these campgrounds are directly on the river. I'm just starting to put this together so things may change we'll see.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK... I can see what you are thinking , a base camp is a good choice and will let you check out a lot of rivers on a day paddle.
Then with that information you can go back to the base camp , sit back and enjoy life. When the information is gathered and later decided on then do a longer river run in the future.:D

Heck it will give you a lot of information , even where some good restaurants are in respect to the rivers. Campgrounds for the start and after the river trip and all of the good info.

I hate to say this but when a group of us hit a river we have never been on , one person has been there and checked things out before we decide to do it. This way we are not jumping into things blind , we know most of the information there is about the area.

Even today , I contact the outfitter that I know for that area or even go there and spend a night to check things out before all of us make the trip. All of my river trips have been a check out and have all the bases covered before I make the date for them. This makes for a lot more fun for everyone , no questions , just the information about everything in the general area before the trip.

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Yep that right I was thinking of a four or five day float but just couldn't pick one river for a Rendezvous.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Again I agree that's why I'm try to put an itinerary together now. I've been to most of these rivers but haven't always picked the best sections to float. This will make me get on those rivers more too. Last year I did very little floating and when I did it was usually the same stretch of the James right here at home.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Oz, that is some gorgeous country! I love the bluffs and caves. No rocks around here. :( You are definitely giving me the urge to make that trip.
I saw a couple of pictures of what I would call whitewater. Don't know if a pirogue could go through that.

Joey

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I'm working on it Joey. That first picture of the the canoe at the mouth of the cave will deffinently be part of the trip on the current.That cave goes back in the bluff around two hundred feet all floatable.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana

In a never ending effort to make life a bit easier for those with less abilities [because of age and geezer -dom] I have searched and ciphered the following.

For those interested in the Eminent Sir Ozarks’ planned [5] five Rivers Trip, I present the following for your consideration.

Distances that must be traveled. From ? To Eminence, Mo. [in stat miles]

1. Shreveport, La 461
2. Okemos, Mi 712
3. Chuluota, Fl 1032
4. Bay City, Mi 804
5. Marquette, Mi 902
6. Mauriceville, Tx 673
7. Jessup, Ga. 804
8. Waco, Tx. 663
9. Anahuac, Tx. 700
10. Ponchatoula, La. 611
11. Brisbane, Aus. 9,200

Now, if you do not happen to live in one of the aforementioned places, just figure your distance from one of them and go from there.

I realize that in order to do this, some of you may have to remove your shoes [if you have any] to get numbers high enough. But, that’s the best I can do for ya.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Holy Cow 1,032 miles and a person can walk at 4mph...... I don't have enough fingers to calculate that but it has to be a good week at the most. Man am I glad I am not Mick , he would have to leave tomorrow to make it here by the due date ... when was that , September , I think. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I have been bitten in the rear one time by driving that far and paddling a river without any rapids in it ( or so I was told by a trusted friend ). The dang thing was rapids from the start to the end and even beyond.
Fool me one time , shame on me .... fool me the 2nd time , shame on you , thunder , lighting and the curses of the world will fall on you. The fatal one includes Jacks singing

Chuck