Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build. | Page 8 | SouthernPaddler.com

Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Dang it Chuck,

Your boat is beautiful! I got the plans for that one and had the build on the back burner for a while. Now ya done made me want to get stuck into mine! :D

You're gonna LOVE this boat mate.

Re the staining, Not at all necessary when using that beautiful gaboon/okoume stuff. Some of the cheaper plys aren't nearly as pretty though and require a lil "help" :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I could go at lengths about the wood for our boats but that is the same as trying to swim up a waterfall. We have our own ideas about that and nothing in this world will change them.

Personally for me ..... If I am building one from scratch then it is the 1/8th inch (door skin Luann for me) which lets me keep the cost down , $9.95 a sheet is a lot better then $80.00 a sheet and we have the same boat. Wood is wood.

Look at all the boats , mine and others which have been made with the boat builders dream ..... Luann , they float , they paddle , they go where we want and do everything a boat we make and does what we want it to do.

When getting a kit to make a boat then you use what the kit makers sends you , you paid for it so you use it , plain and simple that is part of the deal. Personally for myself , not one from a kit , give me the Luann since all the wood is nothing more then the shape that makes the boat , all the rest is up to the builder and his or her abilities.

I'm Just a simple person who likes to make simple but good looking boats , If I can keep the cost down then all the better , that way I can help others. Unless they go nut's like I do at times and order in a kit , then .. as I said .. You use what is sent you and that you paid for , plain and simple.

By the way Kits are a lot easier to make since all the hard work has been done for you , just slap the boat together and go down a river. The slapping together does take some time. :lol:

OK .. Off to cool down for a while......... I still prefeer Luann for building. :oops:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Only waterfall around here is me out there working on the canoe , one good way to lose weight but it is all water. :lol:

After some more epoxy and lots of sanding ... I have the end fillets on the bow and stern sections. Will let them cure , then some more sanding to shape them and finally will be able to glass the hull on the outside. :D :D :D
Glassing the hull will let me decide which way to go from there on some ideas I have.

14x30%20035.jpg

Two things for building a boat , epoxy and more epoxy then epoxy and wood flour and more epoxy with sanding sprinkled in between each layer.
The end fillets are red wood flour and epoxy since I wanted a darker fillet on the ends.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Now the fun starts !!!!!!
Have the end fillets sanded , getting ready for a lot of fun in the morning. :roll:
I will leave the glass on there , let some of the wrinkles leave then do the epoxy work in the morning , it is getting there , slowly but surely. :lol:

14x30%20036.jpg

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It is back looking like a canoe again , nice ..WET.. epoxy sure is shinny. :lol:

Wet out the glass and when I got to the last panels , I trimmed the excess glass then did the panels. Let them sit for 20 minutes and went in with a razor knife and trimmed the rest off along the bottom of the rail. Rolled it again and it matched right up with the rail and epoxied any scratch from the knife blade.

Two more coats (two more days) and it will be ready for some trim work.

14x30%20037.jpg

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have been rolling on the epoxy and in that process I have had some pock marking on the boat ( dimples ) in the epoxy. Usually sanding gets rid of them but I tried something new today.

New for me since I haven't done it in the past ( some of you do this , I haven't till now) Stopped at the auto parts store and got a package of what they call plastic spreaders , for doing body work on vehicles with bondo.

Came home an wet in the canoe with epoxy then with paper towels and one of the spreaders ( squeegee) I squeegeed the excess epoxy off the boat. The paper towels were to clean the spreader on as I progressed down the length of it.

What was dimple is now nice and slick , one more application and it should be as smooth as a baby's rear.

See ... You can teach an old dog new tricks , if he just pays attention to you. :lol:

Figured I would post this for anyone who has not tried it , it is the cats meow and slicker then ______________ ya fill in the blank.

14x30%20038.jpg

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A couple of pictures back up the line , I showed you the rough end fillets for the canoe.

14x30%20035.jpg

This is what they look like now. :lol:

14x30%20039.jpg

Got that idea from dangermouse01 (Mike) and what a good idea it is. :D The one light area is sunlight reflecting off it.

It is one of those things that takes more time to do but does add a little touch of class to the boat. Besides adding a 1/4 inch of epoxy and wood flour at the bow and stern plus about 3 feet down the center line of the boat. Good looks and wear an tear protection for the hull. :D

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
oldsparkey said:
Came home an wet in the canoe with epoxy then with paper towels and one of the spreaders ( squeegee) I squeegeed the excess epoxy off the boat. The paper towels were to clean the spreader on as I progressed down the length of it.

If you take a small mixing cup or yogurt container and cut a V-shaped notch in it at the top. Works wonders for cleaning the excess epoxy off the squeegee. Lift the excess epoxy off the boat with the squeegee, run thru the v notch, all gets scraped off and goes to the bottom of the cup to use on the next area of the boat.

Amazing how far you can move epoxy with those squeegees ain't it.

Boat looks fantastic, when can I borrow it?

DM
mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Matt.....

I Want a ............. REFUND ...........

It's all your fault about the canoe. It is 99% done and I just weighed the sucker. UNECEPTABLE ... No Where near my standards for a canoe. Especially one that is only 14 X 30. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep , it weighs that much and I still have a few things to do to it. The way things are going I will have it at the 30 or 31 pound weight.

The fat lady weighs 28 pounds , right now. Guess I will have to do a lot of sanding to put her on a weight reduction diet before taking her out in public. No more big Mac's for her or onion rings and fries with a chocolate shake. No Sir , No more of them. :evil:

I'm thinking 5 pounds might be my fault , perspiration that has soaked into the wood when making her. :p But that still does not reduce the matter about my REFUND for the kit and to top it all off , you better send a check for all the beer I have had to drink while making her. :roll:

By the way ... Make that a good check and remember ... I get to keep that fat/heavy lady for my paddling pleasure. If you really push it , I might grant visitation rights but only for a look and touch , no fun and games. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike... If I would of used those squeegees earlier then I would not have had to put the fat Lady on a diet and saved her some weight.

This old fart in the south having... WAY ... to much fun on this canoe build. :D

Chuckles.
PS. Yep , 28 at this time an solid as a rock. Ain't that great. No , not the rock thing they sink in water , the weight. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Hot Doggies .......

UPS just delivered the rest I need to finish up the outside of the canoe...... We will be a working on it and in a week or so ..... DONE.

Then flip her over and complete the inside.

The end is in sight , I can see the light down the tracks or should I say river. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sometimes there are set backs in building a boat , today was one for me but I did manage to get a little done on it before I melted out there.

A e-mail I sent to some of the guys.

Well......... Ya never know what life will throw at you but you can always bet it is a curve ball.

Went camping last night in my favorite camping (summer time ) spot , My bedroom. Turned on the window AC and fan and had a nice an cool night. Got up this morning and under that unit everything was WET. Dam thing was not potty broke and just leaked all over that area. I can't print what I said.

We are in a cracker house built back in 1954 , so we have a big AC ( reverse cycle) in the living room keeping that area cool but the three bedrooms are at the west side ( two west , computer room on the south side ) and get that afternoon sun , makes them nice and warm in the winter and not that great in the summer time , hence the window units in the bedrooms.

So off to Lowe's and Home Depot this morning after evicting that naughty child from the window. Dam the ones they have today are something , remote controlled and will do everything but the breakfast dishes.

Picked up a Frigidaire , 6,500 one and now it has a home in the window and is hooked into the chow line (power) for it. With any luck there will be a cool night in the campsite for me tonight. Something the dang Yankees don't have to think about.

Now I have to learn how to set the temp/timer , fan setting , energy saver , sleep setting , if I want them or it will just move the air around and let me know how hot it is in there. Guess I better find the on/off button 1st.

If this one leaks on the floor and my camping gear then I am moving in with Oldyaker during the summers. Was thinking of moving in with Bear but he is hotter then we are , not a good thing. Besides I never understand what in the heck he is saying.
My guess is that it will be a hammock out in the back yard under the pines. Darn that sounds nice. Fresh air , the morning moisture (Dew) and the sun coming up the birds chirping , the vehicle engines reving up , the doors slamming , screeching tires , the barking dogs , car alarms going off .... Yep , piece and quiet.

Chuck.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Chuck said:
"Now I have to learn how to set the temp/timer , fan setting , energy saver , sleep setting , if I want them or it will just move the air around and let me know how hot it is in there. Guess I better find the on/off button 1st."
Save yourself the heartache of learning from the instruction manual.
I learned long ago to hand the remote of any new equipment over to any available seven to 12 year old and tell them to make it work. They will.

Regards John.

Tor

This build is so good it sort of scares me....

I'm waiting another month or so for the weather to warm up (no Mick I can't move to Qld - you'd drink my beer).

Having this picture build certainly sets the standard even if you did do some things in a different order to the instructions (why did you do the inside first?)

I think my build will take a lot longer than Chucks and I'm determined to get something close to the standard set here.

Thanks for the roadmap...

Tor

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The inside is usually the hardest to glass so I like to get most of it done and then start on the outside which is easier.
This way when the outside is done I know there are only a few easy things to complete the inside , that is where I like to play with the ideas for different things.

The problem is that I'm doing some different things to the outside and it is taking longer , work on it , let it sit for 16 hours and then repeat the process.

What I'm up to on the outside is what I did to the kayak (Pygmy Coho I made) Part of the hull will be done in a Hatteras off white Teflon paint. Only the top two panels on each side will remain wood.

I am using the Interlux Brightsides , Teflon , Polyurethane off white. You have to sand the hull , then put on a primer , sand most of it off then three coats of the Polyurethane with 16 hours between applications.

Next step is to varnish the remaining panels and the outside is done.

Two reasons for this..... since the canoe is only 14 feet and low I wanted some visablility when paddling it and the off white will do that.
The other reason , the Teflon paint is some slick stuff and lets you scoot threw the water and weeds. It is not as bomb proof as the graphite and epoxy mix but I don't plan on paddling any rock gardens with this canoe. Only nice sandy southern rivers , spring fed ones.

This is the primer coat which will have most of it sanded off before the Teflon paint goes on there

14x30%20040.jpg

The kayak and the same thing was done to it about 10 years ago.

14x30%20041.jpg

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
I am using the Interlux Brightsides , Teflon , Polyurethane off white. You have to sand the hull , then put on a primer , sand most of it off then three coats of the Polyurethane with 16 hours between applications.
so.....it iz a part wood, part plastic canoe? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Heck... If you really think about it. :?

It is all plastic :oops: , the wood is only the core of the boat :roll: , the thing that makes it float is all the chemicals I added to it , Epoxy , acetone, Fiberglass , Polyurethane , Teflon and perspiration. :lol:

Basically it is 17 pounds of wood you can't paddle and 13 pounds of chemicals added to it so you can paddle it , I draw that conclusion thinking it will be 30 pounds when done.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Progressing along like a heard of Turtles. :lol:

Sanded this morning on the primer till I got sick of sanding and said ... That's It !!!!!

Got the 1st coat of the Hatteras off White on the canoe , now it has to sit for 16 hours then a light sanding and the 2nd coat , then one more for the 3rd and it is done.

14x30%20042.jpg

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
coogzilla said:
Did ya test it to see if it floats before all that paint.
Looks real nice Chuck!

Coogs

Not yet , I'm sort of hoping that the paint will let it float. Besides the paint makes Matt happy , adds more weight to the canoe so it might get to that 33 pounds. :lol:

If it does then I don't have any worries , I think there was a money back guarantee with it , not sure , will have to check the receipt I got from Matt.
If not then I am doomed to keeping it and just paddling it around here. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... Two reasons for this..... since the canoe is only 14 feet and low I wanted some visablility when paddling it and the off white will do that.
Chuck, would you explain this "visibility" more? I'm not at all sure where or what this visibility is, where it comes from, or what it's doing?

Are you banking on reflected light from the white paint to enlighten the bottom of the river/lake?