Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build. | Page 9 | SouthernPaddler.com

Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
... Two reasons for this..... since the canoe is only 14 feet and low I wanted some visablility when paddling it and the off white will do that.
Chuck, would you explain this "visibility" more? I'm not at all sure where or what this visibility is, where it comes from, or what it's doing?

Are you banking on reflected light from the white paint to enlighten the bottom of the river/lake?

Helping the handicapped ........... Let me splain myself and enlighten the specific individual asking that :roll: question. Especially since anyone can see ( It is as visible as the nose on there face ) there is some above the water line at each end of the canoe for folks to see.

The underside of the canoe is to warn any submarines , sharks , S.C.U.B.A. Divers and the rest of the marine life there is a boat up there.

Definitions of 'visibility'
(vĭźə-bĭĺĭ-tē)
The American Heritage® Dictionary- (3 definitions)
(noun: pl., -ties.)

1. The fact, state, or degree of being visible.
2. The greatest distance under given weather conditions to which it is possible to see without instrumental assistance.
A. The capability of being easily observed: an executive with high visibility.
B. The capability of providing a clear, unobstructed view: a windshield with good visibility.

:lol: :lol: :roll: ... Chuck.
PS. I sure hope I don't have to explaing the glass bubbles aging .. Ya know bubbles made from glass. They are made when the glass blower has the hic ups. :oops:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Thanks, your round about trip to finally explain that, in this case, visibility means so others could see you, not your capability to see others.

Being seen in a small boat is important , this way they know what they just ran over.

As far as me seeing , that requires trifocals. not sure about the rest of the world but I don't visible folks I see them , especially if I have my glasses on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dress like a French Zouave soldier with a stylish hat, mebbe a long feather in it? Folks will see ya fer sho. :lol: Be careful if ya stop by the bait shop. Bubba dont care fer fellas dressed up like a peacock on dope. He mite poke some fun at ya. If ya hear a banjo picker jump in that baby dookie colored Jeep 'n hightail it outta there quick az ya kin. :wink:

( Chuck here.. I'm not French , I stand and fight)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not to hijack the thread but to get back to boats.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moving along like a turtle with a broken leg , I finally put the last coat of the Brightsides on the canoe. Now I can actually get back to completing the build and away from that foul smelling paint.

They say to use it in a well ventilated area a good distance from any flames , sparks or anything that might cause them. I believe them , it smells like ancient acetone , gasoline and gun powder , but it does one dang nice , slick and shinny , paint job.
Might say it is slicker then a devious , discounted , dispecable southern Lawyer. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As I normally do ... I changed my mind and while the last coat on the bottom dries , I went and stripped it and varnished the outside so now the outside is done.
It would be nice to have it turned over for a picture but that bottom paint needs 16 hours to cure and set up before I do that.
Since the shop has paint orders in it from the bottom paint , why not some varnish stink also.:lol:

In a day or so , flip it over and finish up the inside and then see if it floats. :roll:

14x30%20043.jpg

Chuck.

Tor

I'm surprised at you all.

Note: Chuck is painting the underside brightly to be visible.

Now I don't know about the rest of ya but I don't see the old fella paddling where there are things under the water. I think he's becoming unstable...

He needs a light boat with a bright bottom so he can be seen when he's tipped it over and he'll build it light enuff to put it back in after. :lol:

Tor

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Managed to flip the canoe over today and then set her on a kayak rack I have so the bottom paint can breath , plus it should hold the canoe steady while I finish up a couple of things on her.

I might have to put a cement block in the dang thing to make sure it does not move while I work on it.
Nope , not saying what she weighs , no gentleman ever tells the weight of a lady in waiting , later I will when she is all done. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway she is starting to look the way I envisioned her. :D

14x30%20044.jpg

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
:shock: :shock: Bloody Hell!! Chuck,

Just when I was gearing myself up to build me another lovely kayak, ya go and do this to me! :shock:

I LOVE the lines of this boat and the workmanship aint half bad either. 8)

mutter mutter, mumble, fart, snort. So many boats to build and only one lifetime to do em all in.

Ya just know I am going to have to build one of these. - absolutely no need for it, but bloody hell, I want one! :shock: :D

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Busted! So it was you what stole the boat I've been building in secret. Well ya can just send it back to me right now or I'll call the cops on you.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
john the pom said:
Busted! So it was you what stole the boat I've been building in secret. Well ya can just send it back to me right now or I'll call the cops on you.

John...

Give me a day or two to get the repairs ( You asked me to do ) done and then you can fight with Matt when he tries to repossess it , since he found out it was back over here state side ...... the winner takes all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Next to the ...LAST STEP.... on the construction of the canoe. Not counting the final sanding and varnishing.

The deck covers are on and filleted in place with some Red Wood flour and epoxy. The darker fillet adds some contrast and matches the ends of the canoe where I ran it on the outside for protection.

The other (under the masking tape ) are some hand holds to pick the canoe up with when moving it. Due to the weight of the canoe I am sure it will take two , strong , guys to move her up on the shore. :lol:

When not beaching her then they work as axillary tie downs on the bow and stern when on the top of the Jeep.

Let everything set up , then some epoxy coating on them and she will be ready for the water. I guess the next pictures will have to be some wet ones to see if she floats or sinks. :roll:

14x30%20045.jpg

Chuck.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
s

Being somewhat slow. I finally [using my superior brain power] figuered it out.

He put the paint on the botom to cover up all the mistakes he made while building the boat.

The fact that the rest of the work is excellent don't count. I know the bottom and lower sides just have to be a disaster. :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: s

a Bald Cypress said:
Being somewhat slow. I finally [using my superior brain power] figuered it out.

He put the paint on the botom to cover up all the mistakes he made while building the boat.

The fact that the rest of the work is excellent don't count. I know the bottom and lower sides just have to be a disaster. :p

Not my mistakes , NO SIR ... Not Mine.. :D just trying to make it look like something from the 40's , You remember them .... Right.

Chuck.