Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build. | SouthernPaddler.com

Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build.

Matt was really nice to me..... :D
On the panels for the canoe he labeled them ... Bow , middle , top , bottom and so on in pencil. Even had them as panel sections # 1 , 2 , 3 , 4, 5. ( each one has 4 panels for the canoe)

As I butt the panels together with glass and epoxy I noticed something today. I have panels # 1 done and working on # 2 an 3 which is really 8 of them making 4 when joined for the canoe or one completed panel on each side for there respective positions in the build/canoe.

Checking out # 4 and # 5 to see the best way to position them , ( I like to check things a couple of steps ahead) before epoxying and glassing the joints together , on the top panel in section #5 he was nice enough to remind me by writing on the top one .... Eat Mo Grits.

Now I ask you how thoughtful is that. I always said he likes to go that one more step for his customers then anyone. That folks is personalised service even if he did not send a package of grits with the panels. So much for Southern hospatilaity , I'm going to have to have a talk with that boy. :lol: :roll:

14x30.jpg

Chuck.
My guess is Matt knows I have plenty of grits here at the homestead. 8)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Progress Report....... Sort of.....

All the panels are butted together and the #1 panels are stitched together along with the #2 panels to them.

In the morning the frames will go in but for now it is quiting time. When the water starts running off and onto the glasses faster then the towel can soak it up , time for a break from building and the heat.

I sure hope getting the raw wood wet does not hurt it , looked like it rained on it and it was from me bending over it while sticking it together. This dam heat and humidity is awful. :evil:
I would bring it in the living room and build it but that might cause me to have a very short life span , especially this evening when the wife gets home from her job. It still is an intreaging idea. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. If I could convince her to go visit her brother for a few days at Spring Hill ... :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Chuck,

Ya need to post piccies mate. Many of us here love to watch a master at work.

Re the heat - I here you brother. I built my Sas in similar conditions. Not fun.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I not fast ... just consistent. The heat only will allow me out the for an hour to one and half hours in the morning before it drives me into the house.

1 last set of panels to go. :D

14x30%20009.jpg

Same picture just showing the inside of the canoe at this time.

14x30%20010.jpg

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Wondrous, how those simple wooden parentheses become a thing of beauty. Two dimensional objects, combine geometrically to, form a three dimensional object. A craft way too elegant to carry any viennie snausages and gritz.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
seedtick said:
not eggsackly sure what Jack just said, but i think i agree

Since I know Jack ( I never admit that in public ) let me splain what he was trying to say in our language , Ya know .... Normal Folks. :lol:

It should translate to something like this.......
We take a large flat piece of wood , cut it into a bunch ( gazillion of them ) of smaller flat pieces and then reassemble them into a another large piece of wood , usually rounded and shaped like a boat to take us and our Grits and Vienna's camping. :wink: :wink:

On the lighter side ... Watching it come together , it sure appears that it will be one great little canoe for getting around in. Short but not to short , narrow but not to narrow and I hope ... nice and light weight.
Anyway the more I do on it the more I'm liking the design , it just keeps getting better as construction ( bet you were expecting me to say WORK ... Sorry , this is fun not work ) progresses.

Matt...
As I get it coming together some thoughts are entering my mind on different things to do to it but they are a ways down the road till I get there.
NO... Bobbing off the stern is not one of them , trimming the top panels was entertained but dismissed... :oops: . The others are for cosmetic purposes only , sort of , sometimes , now and then , could be , might of , only time will tell. :p

Chuck.
I do have to say that building a new boat after a while of not doing it is quite a pleasure. It sure is a stress breaker and something that is fun to think about and then doing it. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It is starting to look like a canoe at this time. Now the fun starts , spot welding the panels together with epoxy ... then removing all the wires and temp frames and finally filleting them.

14x30%20011.jpg

Looking at all the copper wire I used to hold it together I'm thinking on calling it Frankenstein Junior .... Just kidding Matt. :lol:

14x30%20012.jpg

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Looking good, Chuck. I just love the pic titled "The Bow and temp frame". I can just FEEL that bow knifing through the water with nary a ripple.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Now that it is together it is looking like a fun boat. The more I do to it the better it is looking , wish I could take it for a test paddle right now but that is out of the question. All those 18ga copper wires ends poking up would hurt to sit on. :lol:

The kit that Matt has for it goes together like a dream , no problems except for the heat down here at this time but that is to be expected during our summers. My guess is that's why everyone calls summer around here as the shake and bake time of year. :wink:

"O" Well I have plenty of time from now to November to get the canoe completed and ready for some trips. I'll do like that one Pygmy did with the Elephant he killed.

You say that you don't know that story...."O" Boy ....gather around the campfire an let me splain it to you , :p

This white hunter came upon this pygmy who killed an Elephant and was eating a piece of it. The white hunter asked him if he was going to eat the whole elephant and the pygmy told him ... YES.
The white hunter looked at the pygmy and then at the dead Elephant and just could not stand it so he asked the pygmy ... How are you going to eat the whole Elephant.
The pygmy just smiled and replied........... One bite at a time. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Got busy this morning and have all the panels (except for the areas around the temp frames ) spot welded with some epoxy. I'm sure with the heat we have the epoxy will set up in a hurry , it is like an oven out there.

The little dental syringes are great for running a bead of the epoxy along the seams , it sure puts it where you want it and you do not have to use a lot of epoxy to do it. I have used them on every boat I have made , some acetone wash for them and they keep right on working for me.

As Hairymick Say's ... Need more Epoxy..........
I'm getting low on epoxy so an order will get called in , in the morning and with some luck a day or two it will be here. It is nice having Raka just down state from me. 1 Gallon Resin and 1 qt fast , 1 qt slow hardener so I can mix them and have a medium speed hardener. :D

To save on shipping I will get my 3.25 tight woven glass for the canoe along with some more glass bubbles , wood flour and another large syringe for doing the fillets.

Going to do the fillets with a 2 to 1 mix .. 2 spoons of glass bubbles to 1 spoon of wood flour , trying to make the canoe as light as I can. Less wood more air ( for better words) or light filler in the fillets. Plus it is a lot easier sanding the fillet with the glass bubbles in it. ( Might be a 3 to 1 mix , not sure at this time , I want the fillets a light Vanilla shade to contrast with the wood)

Lighter the these in the Freedom Kayak.....
freedom%20026.jpg

Wear a mask when working with them , they get all over the place if you do not go in .... R E A L - S L O W - M O T I O N ... when mixing them in the epoxy.
I get my resin and then mix in the glass bubbles and wood flour , when mixed all the way ... I add the harder and then into the boat the fillet goes.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I've never worked with the glass bubble before. Do you have a WAG on about how much lighter epoxy would be with them added?

1st ... what is a WAG , Pups does that with his tail when there is something good for him to eat.
Sorry Jack ..... I really don't know that abbreviation... :oops:

All I can say is that the Glass Bubbles ( they are white) when mixed in with anything will dilute ( Reduce ) the color of the item they are mixed in with according to the amount of them you use.

Same thing as doing a oil painting , use some Cobalt Blue and add Titanium White to it and you will go from a deep blue to a lighter blue all the way down to a ghost of a blue , depending on the amount of White you use. Personally I like the Mars Black to be used as a blue in my workings. It's more subdued and not as bright. :D

As I said .. It will be like painting on the mixing , a 2 to 1 or a 3 to 1 mix , it just depends on what strikes my fancy when doing it ... When I see it .. I will know it. :wink:

I am referring to the color of the fillet , not sure about the weight of the fillet using them but it is less wood flour and filled with tiny bubbles. All I know is that it is a darn simpler to sand and does cover a longer area.

Matt might be better at answering your question on the reduction of weight using them over 100% wood flour.

Raka has this to say....... They pay by giving you greater control of your epoxies properties and increasing the volume of your epoxy at a generally cheaper cost.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Chuck,

Are they the same as what West Systems cal micro balloons?

How to they compare - strength wise, with wood flour?

What is sag like using them?

I think your boat is going to be a real head turner, in ANY company and that you will be very pleasantly surprised at how well she paddles.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Chuck,

Are they the same as what West Systems cal micro balloons?

Raka has the Micro Balloons and the Glass Bubbles , all I have used is the glass bubbles so I really can not answer your question.

Best to leave that to the person who knows better since I'm just a blind hog looking for that acorn when it comes to building boats. MATT.. YA OUT THERE ... SOMEWHERE... :?:

You know me when I start a build then it is what ever strikes my fancy on the build. I guess I just march to a different drummer , I know Matt would agree with that. I'm sure I'm responsible for every gray hair on his head , if he still has some hair.

Poor guy .. I sent him a e-mail about the 8 steps I want to do on this build and I have never , ever , at no time , seen someone reply while stuttering. That takes a lot of talent and I knew Matt was the one who could do it.

On the serious side.... I push the envelope and do screwball things , then when the boat comes out alright we know that it is something anyone can make and enjoy since no one does like I do when building one. They follow the design directions. AS ANYONE SHOULD.

Basically .... I build them to see what we can get away with and if they will fail ...If they do then I'm the one paddling and using it for camping and I'm a good swimmer ... Haven't had to swim a stroke ..... YET.

Not a single one has managed to do that , they are like the Eveready Bunney and just keep going , an going , an going. In fact there are some folks paddling some of the ones I have made and are having a ball with them. :D

Chuck.
See ..Ya all knew I was Nut's , now I just proved it but us nut's have way more fun , we build wood boats. :lol:

JEM

I'm not very versed about the different fillers. I do know micro balloons are very light and can be used for fillets paddle craft and have sufficient strength. I'm not sure about gluing applications.

Only problem is they are usually purple and unless you like purple lines on your boat, I'd be careful.

Perhaps a quick note to System Three or West Systems will help provide some info.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I can understand how either glass bubble or microballoons would work in the direction of weight reduction. And, I CERTAINLY understand that they will not slowly add thickening behavior as does wood flour soaking up. I would not expect that wood flour contributes very much to weight reduction. Any numbers would be helpful.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You never know what is going to happen when you work on a boat. I mixed up a batch of epoxy , brushed it along the upper outside edge on the Port side. Then coated the backside of the rub rail I wanted on there.

Sat the container of epoxy and the brush at the bow on the work table and started installing the railing from the center line out. When I got to the bow I noticed the container on its side and this really nice puddle of epoxy on the work table. :twisted: %)*^$^*&^#*!!!!!!!!!

It's a good thing the table is covered with a double layer of plastic drop cloth and the bow of the boat was resting on a thin piece of a stepping stone so it was up off the table.

Looks like I need more clamps...:lol:
14x30%20013.jpg

Chuck.