SOF 15' 22'' build | SouthernPaddler.com

SOF 15' 22'' build

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I also have been paddling every chance I get.... supposed to be nice tommorow..I'll take out my TV 15-29....
Doubt I'll be catching any more land-locked 20'' catfish though..

Back to the post....The frames for the Curlew...

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Would you mind not posting pictures of pretty skin on frame boats please. You made me realise I NEED one now :roll: Every time I build a boat I want a skinnier one. Laker was about 26, Cut the okwata old version down to about 24. Seems I need a 22 now.

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
John at least you have down-sized gradually. I thought the Challenger 16-28 was tipsy when I first paddled it...

But the wood kayaks don't have these frames a person has to slip-into.
How does one quickly escape one of these when wearing shoes that can get hung up on a frame?

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
How does one quickly escape one of these when wearing shoes that can get hung up on a frame?
Kill two birds with one stone.

That's easy just paddle naked and cover yourself in baby oil before you get in the kayak. Not that I would do that of course :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
woodman said:
<SNIP> How does one quickly escape one of these when wearing shoes that can get hung up on a frame?
Do NOT wear footwear that hangs up! It's called entrapment. Get yourself some Chota mukluks - the least expensive ones - that will protect your feet and lower legs from water, and will easily slip out of your boat when you need to. http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/produc ... ucts_id=49
I'm serious as a shotgun here; not joking around at all. It's only critical.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Yea, I saw that guy at the start of the race. I talked to him, can't remember if I got him on video or not. The SOF lightweight construction would be great for the race, want to carry as little weight as possible. You got me wanting to give it a try........so many boats to build so little time.

If I was to win the lottery I guess i would build boats till all the money was gone.

Tom

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
It ought to Ron..once I get used to balancing this tooth-pick.....

More progress today...inbetween the cabinet job..
From the stern..

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Jeff recommends 1/2'' ply in the book..My frames are 3/8'' and the stern and bow plywood pcs. are 1/2'' ..All the stringers are cedar..5/8''thick and 1'' wide.... the gunwale is 1 1/2'' wide.....

Seve