"Short Stuff" pirogue | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

"Short Stuff" pirogue

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
According to the math I used to get the draft for my weight ( which was pretty close), I'd say it would sink another 1 1/2". So, about 3" - 3 1/2" or so of freeboard. Doable, but not much leeway. More flair would give more initial freeboard than I have and sink even less with an additional 100 lbs. Bee, with your tumblehomes, and your flair, I think it would work for you.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
My sides plus the tumblehome panels are usually 2" to 2.5" taller so I would have 5" or so of freeboard. Do you think the added weight sinking the boat more would make the boat harder to turn?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Hope I didn't come across as sounding critical or finding fault. I know the design features you made are right for you. Since your boat has little or no rocker I just wondered how it might work with more load.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Hope I didn't come across as sounding critical or finding fault. I know the design features you made are right for you. Since your boat has little or no rocker I just wondered how it might work with more load.
Not critical at all. Our uses are so different, so we need different boats. I tried the enclosed cockpit kayak type of boat. It just didn't work for my use in my environment. I might have stayed with that style if I paddled in waters that had nice, sandy, sloping banks to get in and out on. Sandy banks are non-existant in my area. I find that a 12-14 foot pirogue is still about the best boat overall for my waters and my way of paddling.