Raised Beds | Page 6 | SouthernPaddler.com

Raised Beds

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Sunday I picked two Flat Dutch cabbages. The Savoy cabbages are not quite ready yet. I cut four heads of cauliflower yesterday. Today I picked a bunch of mustard greens, collards, and Swiss Chard. I love cooking all of them togeather and dribbling pepper sauce on them. I thought Catfish was going to come help me eat them, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of him. I like doing a fall garden.
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Pretty set-up, Bob. Everything looks really healthy. I planted only one 4'x4' bed, just enough for me and Joy. Everthing has played out except 2 bell pepper plants. They just keep on producing. They got so long and straggly that I poled them up like tomtatoes. They're closing in on 5 and 1/2 feet tall and still have several peppers growing on them. Don't have the heart to pull them out .

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Years ago, my garden taught me a couple of lessons. When I went to do "fall clean up", I found the row of green beans (Kentucky Wonders), had come fully ripe, and had dried. The pods weren't green, but brown and dried. The beans were larger than "normal" inside the pods. They were now a shell bean that could be taken from their shells and simmered up with, say, some ham. Mild and tasty.

The other lesson came after a particularly gusty thunderstorm had rampaged through. I'd planted sweet corn, and some Indian corn too. I had them at opposite ends of the garden to prevent cross polination. Rain had softened the ground, and wind had knocked down all my corn stalks. When I went to check the garden the next day, I had to pick up each stalk of sweet corn, and repack soil around the roots to keep them upright.

BUT - each and every stalk of the Indian corn was righting itself! I waited, and after 2-3 days, they were all back up, all by themselves. Apparently, the standard seed (not having been hybrid), were much hardier and stronger survivalists. Since then, I've talked with a couple of other gardeners who had similar experiences with Indian corn.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
wanabee you have fed ex where you leave dont you ? you could have pack me a plate in ice and shipped my way. :D :lol: its interesting you and kj mentioned the hybrids. a news reporter did a article the other day on the same thing. he was talking about in our county 30 yrs ago we used to have hundreds of little individule farms that had there on seed probally save every year i know my dad did and still probally does? now they are only a hand full of the larger farms in our county due to the bad years 80,s and 90,s, of farming and them selling out or losing there farms? bottom line now because of the GAH geniticlly alterd hybrids there are only a few of differnt varietys and like he said if we had a disiese that got into them they would be wiped out. :( :shock: sometimes better isn,t always better :?:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Catfish, I save seeds with a vengeance. Several years back when I first planted okra I bought a package of seeds and have not bought any more. There is always a few pods that you miss and get too big to use. Let them go to seed and save them for next year. Okra did not do well last year because where I planted them was infrsted with root nematodes. I soaked the infected soil with sugar water and I will bake the soil under plastic this summer to kill them. (I dug a fresh patch for the okra and I hope it does good. Thirty plants ought to drown me in okra
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll24 ... G_0086.jpg
In my raises beds I have squash, swiss chard, zucinni, cucumbers onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll24 ... G_0084.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll24 ... G_0085.jpg
The tomatoes in the tubs are actually planted in bags of potting soil.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll24 ... G_0082.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll24 ... G_0081.jpg
In the Pear tree bed I have planted Swiss Chard inside of the flowers. It is not very big yet.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll24 ... G_0083.jpg
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Kayak Jack said:
PSSST......over here. Most geezers show photos of grand kids. Bob's a bit different, ya see. He has piccies of his okra.

sigh :wink:
But ya see Jack, there's a reason behind the madness. I have four beautiful, handsome, and smart Grandchildren that could eat the doors off the corn crib. If that Okra makes like it should I will be able to keep their little tummys full and keep a smile on their face. The oldest is Daniel. He will either run 10 miles or bike 20 miles each day. Now and again he will go for an extended swim. Emily is 20 and she will run about five miles a day and sometimes will go on a bike ride. David is 12 and he likes to run about a mile and a half before school sometimes. The youngest is Sarah who is eight and thinks the other three kids are absoulately insane. Me. My idea of excerise is to get naked, fill the tub with water, take a bath, pull the plug, and Fight the current.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
I was looking at seeds in a store one day and saw an interesting bean. It said Asian Bean. I read Communist Bean and bought a package to see what a communist bean was. In true Communist fashion the package really did not tell what the real deal was inside. I Googled Asian Bena and it said that it had a trailing (read Climbing) habit and us best used at 26 inches. Twenty six inches eats up the best part of a yard stick. Holey Moley, how many wsnaps could you get out of one bean. I planted some and built a trellis out of pvc pipe and macramé string.

On the cyclone fence I dug up the grass between the poles and loosened up the soil and put a cinder block down on the spot with the holes up and filled the holes with potting soil and planted pole beans in the holes

I hope it all works cause I've got kids to feed.
Bob

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
wanabee when we eating? :wink: :D interesting just make sure the okra seeds you save don,t have monsanta written on them if you sell any? don,t know if any of you heard about the court ruling the other day where they sued a mid west farmer and won.$ 90,000 something thousand dollars. :( I guesss they were jelous because he was saving his and not buying new seed every year. they claimed they still had there patten rights on them and they was resistant to there pesticides?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Catfish,
I kept waiting for you to come over and eat last year but you never showed up so I had to eat it all. :mrgreen: Well, my Grandchildren helped a lot. We've had a few squash, zucinni and picked a cucumber today. Still getting Collards and Swiss Chard. I'll be a happy camper when I start getting okra.
Bob

bcwetcoast

Feb 11, 2012
catfish said:
wanabee when we eating? :wink: :D interesting just make sure the okra seeds you save don,t have monsanta written on them if you sell any? don,t know if any of you heard about the court ruling the other day where they sued a mid west farmer and won.$ 90,000 something thousand dollars. :( I guesss they were jelous because he was saving his and not buying new seed every year. they claimed they still had there patten rights on them and they was resistant to there pesticides?

There was a case in Canada where a farmer was sued by Monsanto who ultimately won. In 1997, some of his canola fields were 'accidentally' contaminated with Round Up Ready canola seed. (Round Up Ready is a patented seed invented by Monsanto that makes the plant resistant to Roundup). The farmer took the seed from these plants, isolated them from the seed from his other fields and used this seed to plant fields the following year. Monsanto tried to get him to sign a licence agreement but he refused, so they sued. The courts found that he wasn't guilty of patent infringement with the plants that were contaminated in 97, but was guilty of patent infringement by using the seeds from those plants in 98. However, since he had not used RoundUP in his fields in 98, the courts said he didn't gain any advantage from the invention so he did not have to pay any damages.

He, however, was forced to surrender all his retained seed from that year and buy new seed.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Unless they come up with something to get rid of the Leaf Footed Bug I am done trying to raise tomatoes. The last two years My tomatoes have done very well but I haven't been able to eat many of them because of the Leaf Footed Bug. Dusting with Sevin dust does not seem to help. If anyone has a cure other than soapy water with Neem oil I would appreciate knowing about it.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm not familiar with a leaf footed bug. Maybe they go well with okra or gritz? :wink:

I've had success with most bugs - and deer - using Fels Naptha soap in water (about 1/2 a bar shaved into a couple gallons of warm water) with cayenne pepper added. Filter it through cheese cloth into a spray bottle. When I was a little kid (70 years ago) , my Dad had success sending me to the garden with a 1 pound coffee can with about 1/4" of kerosene in it. I'd pick potato bugs, tomato worms, etc. and let them swim in the kerosene. I evidently wasn't a very good swimming coach.

I hope something works for your veggies there, Bob.