progress report trimaran hybrid | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

progress report trimaran hybrid

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
well yesterday evening 30 mins to sunset, gentle breeze, time to spash her.

Almost to little breeze, but when it came she showed her heels, even got to where the lee boards were vibrating, till I racked them back.
and off home into the sunset. :D

MM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That's a pretty rig. I'm surprised you still need lee boards with the outriggers; I thought they'd fill that need? Secrets to sail boats.
Real shame you couldn't hire someone good looking to sail it the first time. :wink:

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Still experimenting, found out that in more wind I couldn't make a succsseful tack,tried lee boards in different locations without any luck. So took the scissors to the sail and recut :evil: reduced by about 1/3 tried again last nite, seems better but had to run for home when thunder and lightning moved in, got some much needed rain. Gonna keep playing later.
Jack, still not sure on the leeboards I can get along well with them clear of the water, but the ability to tack seems better with them down.

MM

ps can't do much about the model, sorry :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
makenmend said:
Still experimenting, found out that in more wind I couldn't make a successful tack,tried lee boards in different locations without any luck. So took the scissors to the sail and recut :evil: reduced by about 1/3 tried again last nite, seems better but had to run for home when thunder and lightning moved in, got some much needed rain. Gonna keep playing later.
Jack, still not sure on the leeboards I can get along well with them clear of the water, but the ability to tack seems better with them down.
ps can't do much about the model, sorry :roll:
Keep 'speermintin - you'll get the formula and then run with the wind. About that model - we all seem to have a similar problem. sigh

wd0d

Jan 16, 2012
MM,

I had the same problem tacking on a Gary Dierking designed outrigger sailing canoe. Turned out the the boat was extremely sensitive to weight distribution. If I sat aft of the center of the boat, my weight (and I only weight 160) was enough to push the stern down and move the CR aft of the CE of the sail.

I solved the problem by splitting the rig and using a small mizzen,which moved the CE of the combined rig substantially aft.

The tacking technique is -- kill the mainsail when it starts to luff, or when the speed falls off substantially, but keep the mizzen sheeted in tight -- in fact, I set it up so I could over sheet the mizzen. The mizzen then pushes the stern around, I then sheet in the main, adjust the mizzen, and away I go.

You've probably figured all of this out by now, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

wd0d

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
wd0d said:
MM,

I had the same problem tacking on a Gary Dierking designed outrigger sailing canoe. Turned out the the boat was extremely sensitive to weight distribution. If I sat aft of the center of the boat, my weight (and I only weight 160) was enough to push the stern down and move the CR aft of the CE of the sail.

I solved the problem by splitting the rig and using a small mizzen,which moved the CE of the combined rig substantially aft.

The tacking technique is -- kill the mainsail when it starts to luff, or when the speed falls off substantially, but keep the mizzen sheeted in tight -- in fact, I set it up so I could over sheet the mizzen. The mizzen then pushes the stern around, I then sheet in the main, adjust the mizzen, and away I go.

You've probably figured all of this out by now, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

wd0d

Hey! We speak English (mostly) on this forum. Besides the language barrier, my Mizzus wouldn't take kindly to me messin' round with no mizzen, sheet or no sheet! :shock:

BTW, welcome aboard! :mrgreen:

MIke

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
ZipSnipe, Thank you, had some fun with that setup but trying further experiments. Made up some smaller/lighter planing outriggers/Ama's for less wetted surface area, hopeing for improved speed with new sails.

now have only one unit in the water whilst underway, 1st run in good breeze,and tacking was terrible, definitly have to have lee boards in the water, tried with boards dirictly bolted through gunnels ( BAD PLAN) almost tore off gunnels. :!:
have since made cross mount which now takes the side load, and have sailed successfully/enjoyabley though only in lite winds so far, still a work in proggress.

MM

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
No Jack your not missing a thing. In fact the 1st set having a deep "V" did just as you summized, but ideally in a trimaran at rest normaly loaded the Ama's would be just clear of the water, which the 2nd set are, however they are a planing design, very little "V" so they provide the stability but zero lateral resistanc, so the rig tends to slip sideways through the water, thus the need for a keel of some kind.
these are the outriggers together I think you will understand the difference.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Well thank you kind sir, getting her ready for a Brazos river trip right now (without outriggers etc)5 days with good company, fishing camping, setting the world to rights around the camp fire, will post up when back tuesday week.

MM