progress report trimaran hybrid | SouthernPaddler.com

progress report trimaran hybrid

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
basic history, I built a Jim Michalak design Toto using the strip stitch and glue system, then started on a Michael Storer design outrigger system again in ss&g. thats all done now and that left things like rudder and control, leeboard/dagger board, main mast, boom and yards plus a sail and what kind of rig.

well the hardware (wood stuff) pretty much done, the type of rig, well thats just as easy as deciding on the right boat plan :roll: after making some masts and paddle shafts, I got to quite enjoy it so as making different mast/booms isn't black magic the 1st rig I'm going with is the Gaff rig, and as experiments I'll play with a sliding gunter and lug sail rigs. Trying to find a (a) whats looks best. (b) easiest to rig and get on the water. (c) performance.

So now to brush up my sewing skills :? and on to the sail.

here's some hardware pics.

MM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
MnM, really pretty work. I have a question. Do you place your lee boards aft of the center of the sail, even with it, or forward? Are there conditions for each of those, or is best policy to fix it in place and always use that?

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Jack when I do get the sail made and can calculate the centre of effort,I'll start with the leeboard at that mid piont and see how she balances, the good thing with leeboards clamped to the gunnel is the ability to move them fore and aft to (hopefully) find a good helm balance. Also the wind strength usually has an effect on helm balance, if reducing sail for example. Still learning :!:

MM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Last week, I saw some boats (35-40') with a "wishbone" rigging on the mainsail. Their mast was stepped way forward. I couldn't see any advantage to the rigging, and as far as I could see, any mast could be stepped forward, and the keel balanced to fit effort and pivot point. But, they seemed enamored with the wishbone as though it was needed for tha way the mast was positioned.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
That sounds like a form of Cat rig, my understanding of this, is the simplicity of rigging,can be set up quickly which equates to more time on the water with the added bonus of no low flying booms whilst coming about.

MM

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
G'day back at you Mick, thanks for flattering comment, sail is now done (well at least the 1st one)
this is a small sail just to test things out, I have material on route for the real deal.

MM

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I saw a sail made out of Tyvek house wrap materisl and double sided tape. Didn't look like much but it made the boat go. Also do not know how long it lasted. I think I would make a classier sail with blue poly tarp and hot melt glue. :roll: :wink:
Bob

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Bob Been looking at the tyvek, but difficult to come by in small quantity (no new building going on in my neck of the woods). May use a blue polytarp for a different rig, and have a white polytarp sail kit on its way. hope to sail in a few days, see what works or not. Hand sewing the cotton/polyester wasn't the most fun thing I 've done recently either :roll:

MM

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
MM,
If this boat sails as good as it looks you should be very proud!
Forget my ignorance, but what did you make the cross braces out of that support the outriggers. I have never sailed, as you can tell.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
swampwood, thanks, still a few days away from sailing tho,the outrigger crossbars are just WRC 1.5'' by 1/4'', scarfed then laminated, this was my set up.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
So #2 looks better,not quite right but close enough for water test I think,and I always knew I'd find a use for that old 8 man tent flysheet one day :D

need to add grommet to close up that gap where the Yard/Gaff and main mast meet, then rig control lines,pullys,blocks etc, then when mother nature gives me a nice light breeze we'll see what happens on the water.

Getting ansy :!: MM

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
1st outing will be from my back yard on Inks lake, I can paddle round the whole lake in 3.5 hrs but plenty of water here, (constant level ) unlike many in Texas right now.still not quite ready, these fiddly parts take awhile.

and I need a good number of them.

MM