Pirogue Truck Rack | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogue Truck Rack

THANKS for the ideas here @beekeeper ! I got to figure how to load / carry both a light 12 foot JonBoat and my 14 foot 2-person Kayak on the top of my Tahoe. I have a very sturdy flat carrier built on top now with many anchors into the metal roof, so I have lots to connect to. I'd LIKE to carry both of them upside down. I'd LIKE to have some roller(s) at the back to help loading.

Like we say around here: HHmmmm.......

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
THANKS for the ideas here @beekeeper ! I got to figure how to load / carry both a light 12 foot JonBoat and my 14 foot 2-person Kayak on the top of my Tahoe. I have a very sturdy flat carrier built on top now with many anchors into the metal roof, so I have lots to connect to. I'd LIKE to carry both of them upside down. I'd LIKE to have some roller(s) at the back to help loading.

Like we say around here: HHmmmm.......

Sounds like a difficult challenge.
Personally I would not feel comfortable hauling two boats on top of my vehicle. Once hauled a 12' alu. skiff on top of a station wagon car from Louisiana to Alaska and back with no issues, but two boats complicates things.
A utility trailer has a lot to offer and might be an option to look at.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks Andy.
I did make one improvement, even before I used it. Replaced the 1/4" carriage bolts and wind nuts with 5/16" ones. Much easier to work with.

Personally I would not feel comfortable hauling two boats on top of my vehicle. Once hauled a 12' alu. skiff on top of a station wagon car from Louisiana to Alaska and back with no issues, but two boats complicates things.
A utility trailer has a lot to offer and might be an option to look at.
Unfortunately we will be pulling a 20 foot camper behind the tahoe with the kayak on the tahoe roof. Worked well last year VT to FL and back.

Hmmm.. Way Back we first carried the Kayak on the roof of the camper. Hard to put it up there. But COULD do that and put the JonBoat on the Tahoe.

Sounds like I'm approaching the danger of Too Many Toys :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
It takes two, fairly tall people to get a boat up on top of a Tahoe.

I measure how tall my vehicle and boat are, add 6”, and write the required clearance on a little sticky note. That note goes onto my windshield. Then, when entering a gas station, McDs, etc, I have a ready reference before pulling into a coffin corner.