Pirogue Truck Rack | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogue Truck Rack

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I have been wanting a better way to transport two pirouges at the same time in my truck. We usually stack one in the other and try to cushon any spots that rub. Boats move and they are hard to lift one into the other.
This is my first try and have not used it for real. May have to make some little changes, but right now it looks promising. I need to paint it and install some carpet. It breaks down for loading /unloading and storage.
This a trial fit. I will post more pictures when everything is complet.
IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4918.JPG

Woodwork is finished. Disasembled for storage. Crrage bolts and wing nuts make it an easy job.
IMG_4922.JPG
IMG_4924.JPG

Reactions: Gamecock

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The rack and boats will be tied, straped, or bungy corded to the truck tie down eyes, (maybe all three).
Jack, there is no bottom shelf. The bottom boat sits on the floor of the truck bed. For a longer boat, a "shelf" could be added. The picture exaggreates the overhang. The boat's dimensions are designed to consider how it fits in the truck, without having to use the bed extender.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
I think you found a good way to transport your boats. Your right about stacking them like I do, It's a little hard on boats sometimes as this picture shows where there's a will there's a way Our daughter commandeered grandmas car When the pickup broke down

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Dad had a car topper boat which we hauled in the back of his El Camaro. The rack for it was extended about 3 feet past the trail gate and it supported the V Bow 12 foot aluminum boat really well. We had a 3 HP Evinrude Fisherman twin for it and the motor was always transported in the boat between the rear set and transom of the boat. Apparently he used the motor as a improvised counter balance ( Not really needed ) plus it was the logical place to put it.
The rack was made out of 2x4's , Runners , and 2x2's , cross memebers , ( tops carpeted ) with a plywood base board against the back of the trucks bed.
We could slide the boat in and out really easily.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Separating the boats was the reason (excuse) for building the rack.
Loading the top boat into the other seems to get harder each trip. The rack will allow me to slide the top one into place and then the bottom one. No more picking the boat up over my head and trying to lower it in place, without dropping it or breaking something.
After painting I will cover the cross members with carpet. I need to find a place to unload and store the rack without having to disassemble it each time. It may be best if I just fish every day and that way I would not need to unload it. :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JD, on a day when you want to fish, but are kinda tired after loading both boats, just run the hose into the bottom boat, and toss in a few fish from the freezer. Or, maybe a can of sardines. Then, climb up a step ladder into the top boat. Just sit up there and drop you hook down into the bottom boat. Not far to the house if you want to drink a second beer. Or, get rid of the first one.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Separating the boats was the reason (excuse) for building the rack.
Loading the top boat into the other seems to get harder each trip. The rack will allow me to slide the top one into place and then the bottom one. No more picking the boat up over my head and trying to lower it in place, without dropping it or breaking something.
After painting I will cover the cross members with carpet. I need to find a place to unload and store the rack without having to disassemble it each time. It may be best if I just fish every day and that way I would not need to unload it. :)

Bee, We share a common problem that I suspect several "old timers" also share. My latest boat at 14.8 lbs was an attempt to
solve the same load and reload issue. but that boat is just too little for fishing. Unti recently I used two Harbor Freight ladder racks and loaded two Pirogues in the bed for a total of four boats. This works good because with that many boats there are usually some stout youngsters involved. now I carry the 11 32 crrawdad upside down and propped on the closed tailgate. it has a square transom that fit fine agaist the cab.
I like your concept. could you slide it off onto two sawhorses when not in use? Maybe some of the stucture could be lightened up ? Maybe you could try a lightweight JEM crawdad, and try out the stitch and glue process ! I've built three modified crawdads they weigh about 29 to 30 lbs. Keep us posted on the progress of your rack.
Merry Christmas,
Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The rack could/can be slid onto a couple of saw horses. I considered this when building it but since I'm about out of horses and room to put them I added the take apart features. Almost made it with "knock down" joints but decided the bolt and wing nuts would be tighter and stronger. The rack's overall size may be too bulky to carry it whole easily.
Some of the structure could be reduced in size but I didn't see the need or want to do the extra work. Taken apart each piece is not too heavy. If trying to move it assembled the overall size is the issue. It is wider than needed for my current boats but can fit a wider boat if necessary. It will be easy enough to make it narrower if I need to.

kc4zvw

Oct 26, 2003
Chuluota, Florida
www.billsbrough.org
For the U.S. Navy to consider something to be 'portable' you simply attach two handles and get a pair of enlisted 'swabbys' to drag it somewhere!

You could attach a 'Harbor Freight' wheel-barrel tire gadget to one side and put grab-a-hold handles on the other side. and ... and ... and ... I think I
should be quiet now! :)

Remember we're just boat people here ... adapt and/or overcome.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Alternative #17. Just leave it in the truck; it looks kinda neat.

When folks ask, and we all know that they will, just spit in the dirt, hitch up your britches, and say, “Well, my garden grows giant okra. I carry rhem on that rack”

then, turn and walk away.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Finished the rack. It works fine. Lot easier to load "top" boat onto the rack and slide it into place.
IMG_5012.JPG

Top boat is loaded first then the bottom.

IMG_5010.JPG

Progrip makes for easy tie down.
IMG_5008.JPG
IMG_5007.JPG