new pirogue | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

new pirogue

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend seedtick,

Beautiful grain. I bet that made the women folk smile. :wink:

I'm thinkin' bout a table......kinda like the one in Keith's shop....cept I want it ta be a work bench, a tall tale tellin' bench, a place ta share a glass of fine sippin' whiskey, a bone-in ribeye 'er a table fulla crawfish.

regards
bearridge

The President has kept all of the promises he intended to keep. George Stephanopolous

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Cypress is pretty but it's soft for furniture and will show "character" dings quickly. You can harden it up a bit by putting several coats of epoxy down first then follow up with varnish.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... "O" that reminds me .. Dang it Jack .. The next time we are paddling ... slow down I want to see what 10 squirts does to a kayak, never tried it on one of them. Please send a post card when you land so all of will know. By the way.. :p ....When will you be back down here ??
I didn't dare slow down, Chuck; I was paddling AGAINST the tide. Had to work my poor, pneumonia-riddled body like crazy. And, I'll be back W-A-A-A-A-Y-YYYY after you learn how to read (and properly interpret) tide tables.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack .. That was not my fault , it was the printer they got those charts all screwed up. I knew what the tide was doing just by standing in it and being very observant.

I will not say who's fault it was with our crew. If we could of gotten oldyaker up around 4 AM we would of had a out going tide with the rising sun. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... I will not say who's fault it was with our crew. If we could of gotten oldyaker up around 4 AM we would of had a out going tide with the rising sun. :roll:
Come to think of it, paddling against the tide wasn't all that bad. Sure beat trying to get that guy up early. Or, keeping him awake after you did.

keith

me and tick been out of town on a set. we be in the movies now. they had these Canadians down here making a film about a man named Rivard from Canada. I guess we can talk about it. I better check with tick to see if we can talk about it. you know closed set and all. well they didn't want us, just our boats. to get the boats you get the package. later Keith
ps: work table is maple from Grizzly, I added the vises and legs

keith

this is where me and tick spend most of our time. this is our shop.

e8bda00a.jpg

that was the front and this is the side, it takes 2 pictures

e8bd9f9d.jpg

e8bd9f58.jpg

this is the outside where we build

e8bd9eed.jpg

e8bd9e94.jpg

e8bd9e1e.jpg

now to go inside where few men go. most all the large tool are on wheel to move outside.

e8bd9dc5.jpg

e8bd9d55.jpg

e8bd9cfd.jpg

e8bd9ca1.jpg

these are some of the hand tool we use

e8bd9c39.jpg

e8bd9bfb.jpg

e8bd9bbb.jpg

e8bd9b77.jpg

e8bd9b2e.jpg

thank you, enjoy, Keith

islandpiper

Seedtick......now you tell us. If we had dipped Kayak Jack in epoxy then he wouldn't be so dented up now?

Keith, I passed near Denham Springs on Monday but just couldn't spare the time to come in. PM your phone number and I'll stop in next time I get over that way.

Piper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Piper,

Epoxy is good and can make a lot of things better, but it won't do the impossible.

Glad you're out and about, come by and visit, we look forward to stopping to talk.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
:shock: :shock: :shock: :D

Keith, mate that is amazing. You have impressed the heck out of me!! :D

Man, I would just love to play in your shop. :D

Can you tell me more about your wood lathe please. It looks similar to mine. :D

Oh year, your double headed broad axe and the one below it :shock: :shock: , Is it a tool or a weapon?
geniune question mate. :D just wondering. I have never seen anything like them..

thank you for sharing.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend keith,

How did ya come by all them tools? Sometimes a fella dies 'n nobody wants the things he gathered up hiz whole life....cept hiz cash money. Then a fella comes along 'n buys the house 'n finds treasure in the barn.

Well, that iz how Miz Bear 'n me come inta a heap ole broke shovels, hoes, crowbars, suitcases, ole gate hinges....bent nails 'n more. Folks who lived back in the depressin' times saved everthing.....even plastic milk jugs. [He mite have used them fer jug fishin'.]

My Mom still washes out the paper towels 'n one set of Zip Lock bags lasts her bout 10 years. :wink:

respectfully
bearridge

What would men be without women? Scarce, sir .. mighty scarce. Mark Twain

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Double what Mick said for me too! That is one nice shop. I would love to come down and see it in person and pick your brains for awhile! You guys got it good and I think you know it! :wink: Great place and thanks for sharing!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is not a wood working shop it is a museum of wood workers tools , not sure about the two guy's who work in there. They might be referred to as museum pieces. :lol: They sure do make some nice boats the old fashion way.

I would have a grand time in there just staring and dreaming.

Mick...
You asked about the one under the double bladed ax , In the old days ( Vikings and hand to hand combat ) that was a battle ax or sure looks like it could be one. The vikings also used them to chop down trees.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
WOW! :shock: You could charge admission to the place! Last time I seen a shop like that was in Mystic Seaport in Conneticut where they rebuild old wood sailing vessels. I had to pay to get into that place. Sweet Shop!