Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow! | SouthernPaddler.com

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

Coal

Sep 22, 2009
Joliet, IL
Minus 10F degrees with a minus 23F windchill, and 11 plus inches of snow. Now the plus side. There is a big pot of split pea and ham soup on the burner with corn bread in the oven for supper. Got a fire going in the wood burning stove, and there are 4 cases of beer along with a box of some kind of red wine in the basement. As long as I don't run out of firewood, I'm all set for the next couple of days.

Coal

Sep 22, 2009
Joliet, IL
Jack, I forgot to mention the homemade smoke sausage (we call them smokies) that are boiling, I'll throw an extra one in the pot for you.
Are you mushing over with dog sled, or just snow shoes?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Florida Weather , If you don't like it just take a few minutes and it will change.........We have been in the 80's till today. Heck I mowed the grass Sunday because it was getting to high. :roll:

Going to be cold around here......... :shock:
Monday .....74 high
Tuesday Morning , 32 , high 49
Wednesday , Morning 38...67 for a high
Thursday , Morning 57... 77 for the high
Friday , Morning 63....80 for the high
Saturday , Morning 65,,,84 for the high.

At lease Tuesday and Wednesday will feel like winter. I sure do not envy you folks up north from what the weather men are saying this cold snap will be like........ BURRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I do have a big pot of Chili Cooking on the stove for tonight and tomorrow , with some cornbread in the oven.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
fellows I,m coming over to your house for supper. yal making me hungry. yea chuck it is suppose to be in the low twenties to teens here in the morning and Wednesday morning. nice camping weather don,t have to worry about the skeeto,s. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen: yep coal got the old wood stove cooking right now. just about to fall asleep in the easy chair by it. :D it is cold in a lot of places tonight.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I thought that maybe others may want to make smoked sausage too. So, here is the recipe:

5 lb lean ground beef
5 rounded tsp Morton a tender Quick (Warning, do not use any less.)
2 1/2 tsp mustard seed
3 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder (I double this)
1 1/2 tsp onion powder (I double this too)
1 Tbsp crushed rosemary (optional)
1 tsp crushed fennel (optional)
1 Tbsp cayenne (optional)

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, cover & refrigerate. Next day, remix thoroughly and refrigerate. Let set in refrigerator third day. On fourth day, form into five rolls, and smoke in Little Chief Smoker 12 hours. (I've tried several woods, and prefer hickory.). Sausage will form its own casing.
I store them in the freezer, and carry them unrefrigerated.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
kayak I would rather sample than make it. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen: whens the next batch due and I can let you know if its done.

Coal

Sep 22, 2009
Joliet, IL
Got up this morning at 5 am and it was 8 degrees F outside. Decided it was a good day for chicken soup. So, got a big pot on the stove and will make some kind of bread to go with it. Oh yeah, we are supposed to get heavy snow today too.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The soup, Bob, the soup. I collect soup recipes.

I have a good one for "deer track soup". if you don' t get the deer, just gather up a bunch of tracks, and you can make a good soup with'em. I also have one for turkey or duck feathers, in case your winged shooting leaves a bit to be desired. :|

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
My guess is Jack would make a big pot of snow soup and ask for a glass of water to wash it down. :lol:

Mike