I have started the Bayou Skiff.... | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

I have started the Bayou Skiff....

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
oldsparkey said:
Talked with Larry at Raka ...
Since he is making a Skiff we were comparing notes ... Like me he is leaving off the runners on the bottom and if he needs to stiffen it up one runner down the inside of the skiff between ...

I'm glade you have started. Hope to see some skiff pictures soon. Will leaving the keel strips off be detrimental to the handling while under outboard power. I know we are not talking high speeds, but would the boat tend to slide when turning without them? I guess you could add them if needed.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Set the side boards aside since they are done , put the bottom panels on the table and matched them up. Don't you know it , one wanted to stay raised up in spots and would not match up like it should. OK...There has to be a way to make it lay down.

Took some blocks I have and sat them on the seam holding it down. Mixed some epoxy and brushed it on the seam to glue it together between the blocks , except for the right hand one with the plastic under it , that is sitting on some of the epoxy. Figured I would try it this way in place of epoxying the whole area , covering it with the plastic and a board across it. This way I can make sure it does not move or rise up in any area.

When it is cured , epoxy saturate the wood , let it cure and then glass it. Without using that piece of Plexiglas I have covered with the plastic in the background. No ripples in the epoxy and glass when it is done this way.

bayou%20skiff%20005.jpg

Chuck.
PS. Cold weather is here and I found a way to warm the shop up , close the place up and let the sun do it's trick. I did help the sun. The wife did some laundry so I used the clothes dryer in the shop , that makes a good heater.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A back Channel message from Uncle John ....... To me that I want to share with all of you , since he said I could and with luck it might help anyone else.
******************************************************************************************************************************************************
Saw you comments about the panels not wanting to lay flat. Which got me off to thinking about my favorite tools.

23 Gauge Air Pin Nailer ( Requires an air compressor)
mail

The 'nail' is literally a pin, very small and headless. Great for tacking things together until the glue dries. My work table is a solid core door, when I'm scarfing, I know you do other wise but the principal should work. I lay wax paper, shoot one piece down, position the other, add a piece of wax paper, top that with a scrap of plywood and shoot the entire piece together. The pins being small and headless will pull through when I pull the joined pieces up. I'll also shoot parts in place to hold them steady while I drill and run screws. And, it's only $24.99, great price for a useful tool. Anything you want to test assemble and pull apart before gluing. Also because it's headless and small you don't need to fill a 'pulled out nail hole' or counter sink and fill.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=97526

I notice you use plastic with resin, I use wax paper with Titebond.

mail

Speaking of tools, another of my favorite boat building tools is a pull saw
The blade is very flexible and cuts absolutely straight. It has almost no offset to the teeth so you can use one piece as a guide and cut compound angles without scaring the guide. I always let the rub rails run long (past the transom). To trim, lay the blade flat on the transom and cut the rub rail flush. It's very sharp so it cuts fast.

While I'm at it, my favorite random orbit sander is the DeWalt. have two, one on a vacuum. With 60 grit paper I use it to scarf and to sculpt anything that needs shaping.

( :lol: :lol: :lol: I told him about the Cookies the wife had me making for three hours yesterday so she could hand them out to the neighbors , Church and friends..... What can I say we discuss all sorts of thins on the back channels
You been baking cookies and I've been laying on the couch eating cookies. Odds are, yours are better. )

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7355

John

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Someone was asking about a sculling system a while back for there boat , I hope they tune in on this.

That third set of oar locks I plan on using were for the transom but my idea was to use one of the oars as a rudder when sailing. Just drop the oar in the oar lock and instantly have a rudder. This looks like a good axillary mode of propulsion.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The weather warmed up a bit so I managed to get the 1/4 inch plates to beef up the transom epoxy saturated last night and then glassed today. They will go on the transom where the motor ( What ever it will be ) will sit to build up that area. Using epoxy and pieces of left over glass from previous builds for items needed later sure cuts down on the amount wasted.
Also have the glass over the butt joint on the panel for the bottom.

bayou%20skiff%20006.jpg

With luck ... Tomorrow I will be able to flip the bottom panel , cover it with some plastic on the work bench and then start assembling the stern piece , side panels , transom and ribs. Get them into position with some screws .... then undo everything and epoxy them , screw them back into position and start making it look like a boat.

Chuck.
PS. Later on .. Don't get mad at me but since this is a build record a lot of the side chat and speculation will vanish , especially mine.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Are those pads the same size as the transom, or are they just the size of the motor bracket? I was thinking of just putting a couple more layers of cloth to deter the "crushability" factor when you crank down on the mounting bracket. Of course I don't have any oak plywood like you are using. I felt like Luan pads would just crush the interior ply when you turn down the mounting bolts on the trolling motor. I was hoping the 3/4 ply with glass over would be enough for a trolling motor.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
captaindoug said:
Are those pads the same size as the transom, or are they just the size of the motor bracket? I was thinking of just putting a couple more layers of cloth to deter the "crushability" factor when you crank down on the mounting bracket. Of course I don't have any oak plywood like you are using. I felt like Luan pads would just crush the interior ply when you turn down the mounting bolts on the trolling motor. I was hoping the 3/4 ply with glass over would be enough for a trolling motor.

They are slightly larger then the motor bracket and smaller then the transom.

They have been epoxy saturated , on both sides and glassed with 3.25 tight woven glass on what will be the outside. If I need to then I can add some coasters for where the motor clamps would be. I call them coasters , they are round , made out of metal and fit the clamp where it contacts the transom.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Dry fitted together ............. Managed to get a little done with the skiff today. Now when warm weather arrives I can start epoxying everything together. That's when the fun starts , take it apart piece by piece epoxy it and reassemble then more on to the next part.

bayou%20skiff%20007.jpg

The bottom section is under the plastic while I get the top part done. Then the plastic will be removed and the bottom marked , cut and attached. The plastic is to protect it from any epoxy while assembling the top part.

bayou%20skiff%20008.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20009.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20010.jpg

Looks to me like it will have about 4 inches of rocker in it when together , it should turn on a dime and give you 12 cents in change. :lol:

bayou%20skiff%20011.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20012.jpg

At lease it is starting to look like a boat and not a lot of wood pieces laying around in the shop. A little done , lots more to do.

Chuck.
My back is killing me , time for some liquid pain killer in a cold can. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Today was nice but rather chilly , about 15 degrees below normal. Tuesday it will warm up a bit but not for working with epoxy. Wednesday and Thursday will be into the you can do it temperatures. From there on for several days .......... Hang loose it might get warmer but don't plan on it.

The wife is off this week and I was planned on going camping but with two days to work on the Skiff I decided to be here. A body has to take what is available to them when working on a boat and wanting to get something done on it.

Looks like I will have a lot of camping days down the road except for the Dentist to crown that cracked tooth on the 6th of Jan. What can I say , I like to have fun at the Dentist. :lol:

If it ain't for one thing is is for another but I will get this Skiff built .............. Sometime.

I told the wife I like to build boats in the summer , sweat and dehydration is part of the game , then use them in the cold weather. OK... I am doing it as she suggested in the colder temps and it STINKS.

If this keeps up........ I will be out camping and back at building a boat later on when I can do the steps I want on a daily basis.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
oldsparkey said:
If this keeps up........ I will be out camping and back at building a boat later on when I can do the steps I want on a daily basis.

Having the same problem here, Chuck. Epoxy takes days to harden up enough to sand.

The boat is looking good. She should be an great all-around vessel.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Having the same problem here, Chuck. Epoxy takes days to harden up enough to sand.

The boat is looking good. She should be an great all-around vessel.

Joey

No reason to rush things and just fall behind repairing the mistakes. Anyway the longer it sets there forming the right shape the easier it will be to work with when the weather is right.
It's not like I don't have other boats to use. Or as I like to say ....... Take a negative and make it a positive. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Things warmed up today , about 70 , so I set the epoxy out in the sun , covered it with a black garbage bag and after it warmed up ..... good to go.

Managed to get all the pieces epoxied to the side panels from the bow to the stern. They are curing at this time and with some luck I might even manage to get a rub rail on there tomorrow since it will be in the mid to upper 70's. Then we are back into the deep freeze for a while. Did I ever say That I hate building a boat in the winter time..... The dang weather saw me bring the wood home so it decided to run 15 to 20 degrees colder then it should be , so much for the so called global warming. :roll:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The same as this but with epoxy under all the ribs , transom and bow piece.......

bayou%20skiff%20009.jpg

Along with some of the epoxy dripping off the bottom of each one since I used a lot to make sure they were wet. Backed off the screws holding it together and with a syringe injected the epoxy between the parts and sides , then screwed them back , nice and tight and ran a bead on the outside. Went back and brushed a inch strip on all of them at the junction to help make the weld between the two.

I plan on getting the rails on and after that then taking it out of the shop , flipping it over and filing or sanding off the epoxy drips. Back into the shop and marking out the bottom about 2 inches outside the sides all the way around. Attaching the bottom and the filleting all the seams so I know it is attached and finally trimming ( Sawing ) off all the extra wood on the outside ....... Sanding it and rounding it off for the glass later on , a lot latter on.

Then getting to work on the inside since the boat is together ...... ALL OF IT , Glassing , a short deck , Some reinforcement on the transom , the seats and there brackets , all of what I'm thinking of and when it is done , flipping it over and going to work on the outside , removing the brass screws , filling in there holes and doing what is necessary to complete the boat.

This is not going to be a quick build but I will furnish pictures as it goes along on the major parts.

Chuck.
PS..... The way things look right now this Bayou Skiff will not be completed till next year .... sometime in 2010 with any luck. What can I say , I work slow and take my time. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well the weather warmed up so I decided to make the most of it since it is suppose to cool back down in a day or so.

The next 7 days , nothing over the upper 50's during the day and into the lower 30's at night , not good weather for making boats and using epoxy. Plus I am in a cold pocket ( low area ) so it will be even lower then what they say , from 4 to 5 degrees.

Managed to get two of the run rails on to help form the boat. If the weather stays nice :roll: then I will get the other two on over these. Yep I am laminating two pieces to make one. Double the work but they are 16 feet trimmed down to 14 without any joints in them.

It also is a big help if a person has plenty of clamps , especially since each side takes 21 of them.

bayou%20skiff%20013.jpg

As you can see I don't have a lot of moving around room in there but there is just enough to make a boat. When we moved here 30 some years ago the place was empty and I actually had a 21 by 21 workshop... now the wife has a storage barn and I have a small part as a shop with 30 years of junk stored in it.

bayou%20skiff%20014.jpg

Chuck.
My warped seance of humor , with this build I can say it has taken me two years to make it. 2009 to 2010 . OK...So I started in the 2nd week of Dec of 09....:lol: Happy New Year Everyone.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not the best weather for working on a boat right now..... They are saying the temp will drop into the freezing area and with the wind chill we are looking at around 27 for a low and nothing over the lower 50's during the day and for a couple more days.

Right now I believe them since it is about 20 degrees colder then normal for this time of the year.

The up side is I did manage to get the skiff ready to attach the bottom when things get back to normal around here , if they ever do. :D

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Down here in south La. it's going to be 18 and 19 degrees this weekend. This La. boy thinks temperatures ought not to have a "1" as a first digit. :shock:

Chuck, the boat is coming along nicely. You should be able to carry a lot of conveniences along for some comfortable camping.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A clear but cold day here so I managed to pull the skiff out and set it on some saw horses. Pulled out the bottom section , trimmed it about 4 inches longer then needed and trimmed off the sides about the same. There will be an 4 inch overlap when the bottom is attached , then it will be trimmed flush with the sides and sanded.

Attaching the bottom will be with epoxy and I plan on doing each rid and the sides associated with that rib , one at a time. Will start with the center section and work back , then work my way to the front. When it is attached and before moving it , the fillets will be done along the sides to make sure they are attached like they should be. More work this way but a guarantee they are nice and solid. The other nice thing is when sanding the bottom and side junction I have the fillets to hold it so I can round them off for glassing later on.

bayou%20skiff%20015.jpg

Also flipped the boat over on the saw horses and using a drill and a 1 inch rotary sanding attachment , made the weep holes ( center bottom of each rib) for drainage in case it ever rains on me when out in it. The weep holes or depressions in the ribs are not large but will let water drain each area.

bayou%20skiff%20016.jpg

Chuck.
This is Sunday , according to the weather forecasters it looks like Friday I can start epoxying. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Geez Chuck,

You HAVE been busy!

I am likeing the lines of this skiff - a lot. As usual, you are raising the bar for the rest of we mere mortals but I like that a lot.

Your well thought out approach to any build has never been more obvious than it is in this thread. Indded, this is a lesson in how to do it right mate.

Gonna love this boat.

Respectfully,

Mick

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We are back to almost normal around here 68 right now so the epoxy flows.

Managed to get the center rib and the aft rib epoxied into place along with a bead of epoxy along the sides between the ribs. Not following the suggested way of doing it and to hold the boat in place I needed to use that board across the aft rib with some weight on it.
Marked the ribs positions on the bottom then slid the boat forward and ran a bead of epoxy ( using a dental syringe) then mover it back and lined it up between the marks and weighted it down...... For good measure I ran a bead of epoxy along each side of the ribs and the bottom.

:lol: :lol: :lol: It looks like a lot of weight but with the rocker this boat has in it I needed that to hold the rear down against the one rib.
bayou%20skiff%20017.jpg

The back area and transom tomorrow , then up to the front sections.

Chuck.