Hairies Bayou Skiff. | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairies Bayou Skiff.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Been drooling over Chuck's skiff build for far too long. Time to make my own! :D

Mine will be a lil different to Chucks and probably not as pretty.

Got the ribs made.

BayouSkiff001.jpg

All the panels are rough cut and side panel splices are started. I had a broken sheet of BS1088 that I was wonering what to do with. With the straight sides on this boat I was able to use up most of it and an offcut of Okoume was enough for the sides. there are just a few more panel splices. :D Am using a cheaper ply for the bottom. It is the packing sheets that my BS1088 came in and is surprisingly good looking stuff.

My ply for this one is 4mm thick and am aiming for a boat that I can load onto the roof of my car on my own.

BayouSkiff002.jpg

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Well alright, I remember you said you ordered plans. Glad to see you have started. Looks like you have inlet the ribs for a seat rail, or am I guessing wrong? I also like how you put a different boat next to the skiff in each picture. It is like, "Hey wait a minute, wasn't that a canoe sitting there before?" Anyway, I'm interested in seeing a skiff built with lightness in mind, because I just don't have room or desire for a trailer, and loading the boat by myself is what I am after also. Have fun with your new project.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick....

Are you making a modified version of the skiff , I noticed you are running an extra rib , or is it going to be longer ? If you are using the same plans there is a lot of rocker in the one I am working on and a longer version would have more rocker in it.

Using lighter wood you will save a lot of weight that I added to mine with the heavier wood but I knew there was no way I would car top it. Especially since the Cardiologist has set a 50 pound limit on what I can pick up. That is the reason all my boats have been between 30 and 40 pounds , at the most. This Skiff will be trailered since it is over the 50 pound limit.

Jezzeeeeeeee out of that 3 gallon epoxy kit I got there might be a gallon left so it is also heavy on the epoxy and I have added more weight with the Brightsides Poly paint. Will add even more with a motor later on , yep , it will sit on a small trailer. Not real heavy , thinking about 75 or 80 when it is done , might be less but with a 28 to 30 pound motor , anyway around an 100 to 120 or in that bracket. Before I get in it. :lol:

Looking forward to your build , Please keep us posted on the progress. I am interested in seeing what you have in mind for it as you go along. :D

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Captaindoung,

Yeah mate. I rebated the ribs before I glued them together. It is easier for me this way. :D

Re the different boats, I am repairing my old Laker and had to move the canoe outside. Whenever I have a bit of resin left over, I use it on the Laker. :D

G'day Chuck,

I am building the boat as per the specs but don't have any 3/4" ply for the transom as yet. Hence the extra rib set. :D

While my panel splices set up, I have been messing around with the rib re-inforcing bits of ply and have them all cut now.

Mate, I am studying your build thread very closely and it is helping me a lot with this build.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
I am building the boat as per the specs but don't have any 3/4" ply for the transom as yet. Hence the extra rib set. :D
While my panel splices set up, I have been messing around with the rib re-inforcing bits of ply and have them all cut now.
Mate, I am studying your build thread very closely and it is helping me a lot with this build.

Mick.....

Just a thought from the nut ward , it's a krazy thought but a thought anyway.

If you have some 1/4 inch wood left over , Pieces you would not use for anything , take them , make an over sized transom out of three pieces and epoxy them together. Then trim the composite piece down to the specifications in the plans. That would give you the 3/4 inch transom.
As I said , a krazy thought. :?

Appreciate you using the thread on the Skiff I posted , that was the idea of it , to help folks make there boat and not make the mistakes I did.
The 59 pictures help to explain the process which you know really well.

Chuck.
PS. More pictures later on.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'dy Chuck,

I do have some 1/4" ply and will probably do just as you suggest mate. At the moment, I guess like so many of us, I am watching my pennies - and trying to build as much as I can with the left over materials I have on hand.

I have a very bad feeling about the economic direction, both our countries are going in and think it prudent to save what I can, where I can.

The bottom panel is spliced and the stem is cut. With any luck, I might have some piccies tonight of something that resembles a boat. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
G'dy Chuck,
With any luck, I might have some piccies tonight of something that resembles a boat. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick , Your boats always look like really nice boats anyone would like to have and to make it even better then float. Not counting the fact that a lot of other paddles sure enjoy them , both ways , in looks and there paddling pleasure. ( the best of both worlds)

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Another rainy day here today so was able to get a lil more done. :D

Bottom Panel splice is complete.

002.jpg

Ribs are dry fitted

003.jpg

004.jpg

and Glued :D

006.jpg

I think I mentioned that I was makiing this one out of off-cuts. :oops:

005.jpg

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Thanks for the pictures. I wouldn't have thought of using the 2x2s to set and maintain the rocker during glue-up. I guess that's the sort of thing you learn by building boats, or watching someone else's build.

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
I'm confused as to how he got the Mrs. permission to build another boat... :shock:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick....

You layed off the build or are just teasing us and will show a completed Skiff in the next few days. Thinking about it you might be out paddling an camping with John since he is aiming your way on his vacation in the Land Down Under.

If you are paddling and camping with John , I can understand the ....... Going to have some fun and the build will come later....... You can have a good time with him. Just don't believe anything he tells you about me..... Lies , all Lies and nothing but lies , unless it is bad and then it probably is the truth. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. Hope to have my Skiff in the water next weekend to make sure it floats ......

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Been doing a little here and there on this one.

Bottom is glued on.

BayouSkiff003.jpg

BayouSkiff006.jpg

BayouSkiff007.jpg

I went into town yesterday and got some lovely clar hoop pine for the gunwhales etc and some 15mm (5/8") ply for the transom. and hope to get a lil more done in the next couple of days.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I find it interesting that you put the bottom on (apparently) with the boat right side up

would it not be easier to put the bottom on with the boat upside down? That way you could put weights on the bottom and bend the bottom down to match the sides instead of trying to bend the bottom up to match the sides.

Am i missing something here?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

We just got back from a couple of real nice days paddling and camping in the headwaters of our Mary River. Am uploading images as I type this and will post a trip report shortly.

Re the Skiff. I have done a little more today but am currently repairing my Sasquatch where she found a submerged rock.

We camped in the mountains here, :D

LumixCadeppa048.jpg

and paddled here.

LumixCadeppa018.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys, Been a li'l pre-occupied here in recent months but I got a bit more done today.

transom is on

BayouSkiff007.jpg

and the bottom is all cleaned up.

BayouSkiff009.jpg

BayouSkiff010.jpg

and first gunwhale is on. :D

BayouSkiff011.jpg

While is was doing this also doing a few repairs to my sasquatch. She took a flogging in recent river runs down the Mary,

BayouSkiff003.jpg

BayouSkiff001.jpg