Hairies Bayou Skiff. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairies Bayou Skiff.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
OK, i went down to the shed the other day and turned the boat over to eyeball everything before glassing the bottom.

Something didn't look quite right so I shot some levels and took measurements etc and found the bottom to be 5 milimetres out of square. mutter mutter fart snort. this probably wouldn't be a big deal in a power boat but the plan for this one is oars mostly and I just hate a row boat that wants to go round in circles.

Long story short, I have cut the transom out and the bottom off the sides for the rear third of the hull, including the rear ribs. (not pretty) I have set absolutely level cross bars on my bench and tied the front half of the boat to one of them. I will stitch and glue the sides to the bottom so that it is square and then do the transom in the same way.

Will add piccies soon. Too ashamed just now. (heading out the back to slap meself)

In the mean time, been doing houswork and a little of this,

Evies017.jpg

and this

Evies023.jpg

and I'm sure bloody Chuck must have been camping somewhere nearby

Micks024.jpg

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Mick,

putting in a transom isn't exactly "measure along both sides and nail"

sounds like you had (have) one side with more curvature in it than the other

that would throw off the squareness

hairymick01

I'm back!!

Evie and I want a boat that we can car top easily and I think this little skiff fits the bill beautifully. I got her down from the roof today, shot a heap of measurements and levels and to my dismay, found that almost the entire boat was out of square, with uneven angles at the sides on two of the remaining three ribs and that without fixing that, I had no chance of getting the rest of her right.

Took to her with a saw and some wedges and clamps and now she is about as close to square as she can be. :D Not pretty or elegant at this stage but I think I can hide a lot of the sins.

some piccies.

Side view, will have to paint this one.

New Transom cut. (need to trim this a little)

Temporary frame stitched in place and rear third of the hull re-stitched and tacked

Bow shot.

Just one of the sins. (I need to go outside and slap meself again)

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
I laughed really hard when i read ur' posts from February bout ur Skiff! Built my Pirouge in July of last year. My head was in a "Good" place and you should see my Boat upside down on the "Sawhorses" Ha Ha Ha Ha...I didn't place my "End Ribs" far enough towards the Bow and the Stern(probably a couple of inches)and on both ends the sides sorta come in and go back out...looks like a d***ed Navy Destroyer. I laugh most everytime i go to load her. I say to myself...makes her go faster! Ha Ha Ha Ha. Actually hurts my eyes though. Wanting to build another now that i've learned exactly the kind of tools i need and especially what NOT to do..."Liquid Nails" for Rub Rails, no. She's not perfect but since last year have caught alot of fish and probably next few weeks with the "Spawn" starting here in Louisiana gonna catch alot more and have some really good times. Looked at Uncle Johns Website the other day...seems he's quit selling his "Kits". Know how to cut the Stems and Ribs but don't have a Table Saw...guess am gonna have to get one. Definitely gonna build another Pirogue and this time am gonna use Epoxy...not impressed with the Polyester. On another note...I too am concerned bout way things are going. Nothing is changing and because of Politicians lust for money fueled by greed...i think we're going to see another WorldWide Depression soon that's going to make the first one in 29' look like a "picnic". Most people today have no morals, they did back in 29'. A person doesn't know how to fish, hunt, and garden best learn how real soon! China last month who is Australias biggest Importer, their Industrial Production dropped like a rock...not good. And you "mates" Exports dropped from 0.4% in February to 0.0% in March. The U.S. isn't doing much better! We are in for some "Rough times" ahead my friend...History DOES repeat itself only because fools will not learn from it. I trade the foreign Currency Markets on the side and keep up with things like this and things are getting really scary in this ol' world.

hairymick01

G'day Fenix1 and thanks for the interest mate.

I haven't worried about posting updates because I thought no-one was interested in my little build.

re the problems with your build, I have been building boats for a number of years now and I recently bought this book

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books ... /index.htm

There is a bloody wealth of very good information and advice in it and I have learnt a lot from it. I would recommend this book as compulsory reading for any - one contemplating building their own boat.

I retired about 6 months ago and the way things have been going, I have sometimes wondered if I did the right thing. That being said, my health made the decision for me pretty much so here I am trying my best to prepare for the future. I don't think its all doom and gloom though re our respective economies. I think there are probably bigger threats to our western way of life, not the least of which is the ever increasing grip the Muslims are on our way of life. Sharia Law is almost inevitable in the absence of another Crusade.

end of rant.
Some piccies :D
Been plodding along with the build to the point where the boat is just about finished.
Working the inside rails

Forward deck

Seats are made and in

Transom

Spent a couple of hours making some 7ft oars out of some old Douglas Fir I had lying around

and fitted some rowlocks from Duckworks

and overall, I am pretty pleased with the end result.

I can't wait to get her wet and slimed with fish like this.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick....

As usual you have produced another great boat for your use. Those pictures show one fine boat , Are you going to drop a outboard on the back of it or just row it ?

As far as you saying ....." I haven't worried about posting updates because I thought no-one was interested in my little build." I was waiting and figured that you were just taking your time and eventually would be posting some results of the build. If anything I thought there would be some more travel pictures before any of the boat being completed since you are retired and can travel around the country.

Sometimes a person has to take a vacation ( Break ) from building a boat and do something different for a while. I call it getting BBBBBOS. ( Bent Back Boat Building Burnt Out Syndrome.) :wink:

hairymick01

G'day Chuck,

The last couple of months have been spent at home catching up with some honey do stuff and building up and prepping my new truck for some extended outback touring and fooling around with this little skiff in-between.

We travelled south to our New England area over Christmas, to escape the heat and will definitely be doing so again. If there is a God's Country in Australia, it just has to be in the New England area. I was born there so I have to admit to being biased but compared to the hard, dry and pretty barren and featureless country round here, the breathtaking scenery, lush landscape and fertile country seems like another country indeed. We even found some crystal clear, mountain streams to camp by and swim in :D

and some old convict built roads beside those rivers

I just haven't had the time to do a trip report.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
hey mick looks like she,s gona be a pretty skiff. looks like you been having a good time. gota ask what kind of fish are those. looks like our white perch and bass? wish I was retarded I mean retired. :( :lol: :mrgreen:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
beekeeper said:
BayouSkiff010.jpg

How much rocker?

beekeeper

The boat turned out nice. I posted this about the time you quit working on the boat. I was still wondering about the rocker?

Thanks, beekeeper

hairymick01

I finally found the old pics of this lovely little boat on the water

Maiden voyage

My oars are a bit long and the blades to wide but she rows real nice

with a 3.5hp Mercury 4stroke. A bit over powered I think but OK in flat water This is at a little more than idle.

Rosie the killer toy poodle likes it too.