Dutch Oven Practice | SouthernPaddler.com

Dutch Oven Practice

islandpiper

I got the new 12: DO out today and broke it in with a big chicken.

Here it is , raw, sitting in a nest of dressing mix.
DSCF0126.jpg

On goes the lid, with coals on top and under the oven:
DSCF0127.jpg

And just a couple hours later, with no muss, no fuss:

DSCF0129.jpg

Now, that's some GOOD EATS!!
DSCF0130.jpg

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Aye god, Joey, I still think ole Piper San would make some man a good wife some day. S'pose he can clean windows too?

Piper San is a good cook, I can vouch for that. He does camp food like no other I've camped with. (Shoots tolerably well, but - what the heck - anybody who can look at just one target and see 32 - ought to be able to hit at least ONE of'em!)

islandpiper

Matt, never throw good stuff away! That was the base unit off my old Brinkman Smoker. Makes a nice place to use the dutch oven in the carport. Out in the swamp I just set it in the fire pit area. Further, i have a grate that fits the base and can use it as an open top charcoal grill. When it burns out, i'll toss it.

piper

islandpiper

Yup, Bayou Classic. Little heavier built than my old one , probably a loss of technology between 1890 and 2009.

Moose, eh? Ya got ''cher canned moose, yer fired moose, moose fricasse, moose pie, ground moose, moose burgers, .....etc, etc etc.....

bubba

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I went up to Liberty this morning to crack about 25 lbs. of pecans for my Mother. Louie's store up there is interesting. In the front they have a grocery store and in the back they have a sporting goods- hardware store. In the fall they set the pecan cracking machines out. While the pecans were being cracked I went in to sook at their cast iorn. They carry Lodge brand and have castiorn things I don't know what they are for. They have a 16qt Dutch Oven for $142.00. Just how many people would you have to cook for to use a 16 qt DO. That thing was huge, on feet with a lipped lid and all. Big enough to bath a baby in.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Actually, practice only makes us consistent. Performance may be consistently good - or it may be consistently mediocre.
PERFECT practice makes us perfect.

I tend to hover, pretty consistently, in the mediocre range. But, I'm damned good at it!