drip caps for Wally World paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

drip caps for Wally World paddle

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
The WW paddle is all but finished-- just needs another coat of spar varnish. The wife and I went out on Lake Verret and I tried it out with some parachute cord tied around each end a few inches down from the blade. It stopped the drips from running down onto my hands, but still dripped on me and the inside of the boat. It seems most of the drip caps I see on the market stop the drip by causing it to drop off before it gets to the paddler's hand. I tried this idea and I think it just might work.
driproughcut.jpg

partlyassemb.jpg

capfinished.jpg

I took the paddle and a flashlight down to the bayou behind the house and gave it a test. Worked like a champ! The water ran down the shaft and into the cup and was held there until I lowered it and allowed it to run out. I'll give it a better test Saturday.

Later, Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I sure will bring it. This is just the "proof of concept" version. I'll make a better looking version later.

When something like this water drip thing bugs me, I HAVE to find a better way. Like the old blues song says "It's in him, and it just has to come out.".

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ron,

I'm thinking that it might be easier to cut out a piece from a milk jug like Joey did. A funnel won't be as flexible, and wouldn't fit over the end of a paddle anythehow. It would still have to be cut.

Let me know how it works out?

I wonder if I could fill the drip cup with Scotch, and sip it without spilling any?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I found the neatest thing for these. the dust cover from an axle I am fixing to put one together this weekend so I will know more then.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
You can open up a cone drinking cup for a trial pattern to experiment with. That will get you pretty close. I even thought maybe a half a tennis ball cut and attached with rivets or glue or ........ I've also been lurking( maybe not a good choice of words) around the toy section at WalMart looking for some kind of rubber ball or toy I might use.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, I've had limited experience with the double paddle, but it seems if any drip cap goes into the water you can't help but have a small drip from the water that gets above it. But I agree that the cap should be substantial enough to handle weedy water.

Joey

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I'm still thinkin that something made on a wood lathe or hand whittled and cut in half then epoxied to your paddle would be the checker.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
jdupre' said:
Jack, I've had limited experience with the double paddle, but it seems if any drip cap goes into the water you can't help but have a small drip from the water that gets above it. But I agree that the cap should be substantial enough to handle weedy water.
Maybe the small cord wrapped around the shaft just inboard of your conical cup would handle the overflow or past flow? Paul has some other ideas. When we get done here, drip rings will never be the same again, I can see that. You've started a train that isn't stopping any time soon.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Oz, you got me thinking on that lathe made piece. I could make a cup with a little undersize shaft hole so I can trim to fit around the oval shaft. Caps for round shafts could be made almost the exact size needed. The two halves could be screwed together with some kind of sealer or flexible material . Got to think about that a little more.
Joey

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Or, if you plan for them before and build in the same way (scarfing to paddles into one) you could turn your shaft AND your caps at the same time....providing you have enough room between centers on your lathe.

Steve

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
With all the design here, remember weight. An ounce on your feet is worth 5 ounces on your shoulders. An ounce near the end of a paddle is much worse than an ounce at the center of a paddle shaft, in between your hands. It is being lifted and swung around countless times. Stay light.