Building a ugly boat | Page 9 | SouthernPaddler.com

Building a ugly boat

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Darrells said:
JEM said:
waiting to see how Ron will mount his flat screen TV with portable satellite dish. :p

Wait till ya'll see one of the top secret ideas Ron and I are working on for night fishing...... :?:

"O" My God , did you have to say that , especially before a lot of us east coasters are thinking of sack time. Now I will have nightmares trying to figure out what you guy's might be thinking. No one I know and there are some real mental cases in there , thinks like you two do.
Ron and you are definitely walking a different but interesting road on boat building and accessorizing them , those ideas help all the rest of us.
I guess trying to figure it out we could call it ......... Mission Imposable. :wink:

Looking forward to finding out what it is.... :D

Chuck........
PS. Don't Stop.....Keep thinking......

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well I finally got back to the duck.Installed runners for seat mount. I am not sure of the exact place I need my seat so made them extra long.

IM002557.jpg

Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got a few more things rigged on the duck today. Got the seat mounted.

IM002560-1.jpg

Molding around the cockpit

IM002558.jpg

IM002559.jpg

Inserts for rope handles

IM002561.jpg

Going to the shindig,Greyloons Memorial paddle tomorrow,going to ring out this boat and find out what she is about. Its not finished but is ready to paddle.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
:D :D :D :D :D
I put a few miles on this boat this weekend ,I like her, At 20 inch bottom I was worried about stability , I was pleasantly surprised even with the seat raised several inches she was very well mannered ,Paddled her in the swift water upstream and down,she was narrow enough to handle the upstream swift water and flies downstream.
The next day took her on a five mile stroll downriver,she will still turn even with the long waterline, and the decks handled a stiff headwind and cross wind at times,wind just isn't a factor with this boat.
With the boat balanced out looks like a 16 ft water line in a 16 ft boat, The boat will do the job now I need to get better swinging the paddle. I still need to figure out how I need to set my pegs
On the way down the river Firefly (a lady that is a racer)and I traded boats,that gal can paddle.She seemed to be impressed with it. :D
She still needs some finishing out but I think the boat is more capable than I am .
Shes a winner.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron....

Thanks for the report on the Duck , since you are so disappointed with her , I can drive out there and take her off your hands. Naturally I would be willing to compensate you for your time and material in building her , say $20.00 or in that neighborhood. I would like to offer more but the trip out there and back eats up my traveling budget.

Don't bother to thank me , I would do that for a friend anytime.

Before you load the shotgun and decide to drive over here , let me say...........
It is nice when everything comes together and the boat you built works out to be what you expected and even offers more then that. Life is good and wood boats make it better. :D

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
A couple pics of the Duck on the water

duck1.jpg

The way I have her trimmed she has a full 16 ft water line,the water at the front is just even with the cut back in the hull
and Darrel says the only place she pushes a wave is about a half inch on the front,very little turbulance coming off the back.
What do you guys think about the trim,should I try to bring the nose up more?
On a sand bar fixing to head back down river.

Duck.jpg

Paddling the rapids going up stream she did well,I was with Darrel and a lady that was in a marothon boat 18 fter both stripers we were pretty well matched. We headed down stream I hit her hard for a ways,she will fly going downstream,Darrel and Firefly couldnt keep up.
I have figured out I cant do without hatches and deck rigging. This boat should do well in the rec class against the plastic boats.

I believe I could handle a couple inches narrower :D :D
Matt a great job
Thanks
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well , If you had he packed lighter she would float higher , Might want to try her without all that extra weight from the camping gear in there to see what she can do with just some one paddling her.

"O"oop's there was not any extra weight in there .....I went back and re-read your post....... :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ron , I stayed around just so I can pick on you.
OK.. On the serous side and getting rid of the jokes.....she sure looks good on the water like a winner should. She is one slick looking craft.
duck1.jpg

When racing her , you might want to check that stern grab rope and secure it so it does not get caught in anything when going threw some of the tight spots the pictures from the last race showed us. :D Play it safe...... We do want to keep you around here for a long time.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
I just threw on those grab loops for the weekend,and your right they need changing,I think I am going to try to figure out a grab loop that will just snap on,the only time you use it is when loading and unloading on the front I am thinking of just a snap on the top deck for a rope and taking the handles of off it also when racing.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Yea you got me there Bob ,the worse one I ever fixed was the bull gear on a Muba Iron worker ,dang gear weighed several thousand lbs and it stripped the teeth off half of it. took a while to fix that.
Ron