A Plank Pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

A Plank Pirogue

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Wow! That's an interesting story. I lived in Japan a couple of times, almost 7 years. I missed the town of Satsuma and its Mandarin oranges. Oranges satisfy both hunger and thirst. And, they come in their own disposable container.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Some interruptions
IMG_4660.JPG
are bad, like this one. Could have been much worse.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Tree uprooted and broke the concrete slab the boats were stored on. Neighbors fence, car and cover, fence and gate were damaged. Root system was rotten under the ground.
IMG_4662.JPG
IMG_4664.JPG

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
How dare the weather mess up your pretty boats. Glad it wasn't worse. The tornado in Dallas last month missed us, but was close enough for concern.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
The summer when I was 4, a tornado came through our part of the country. Not a big one, but it uprooted a lot of trees. Their trunks laid flat on the ground with their rootball sticking straight up. The dark dirt still sticking to the roots looked to me like the mouth of a cave. In the woods, where the light was already muted, it was kinda scarey to a little twerp.

Looking back, maybe that's when I started thinking about single malt scotch?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Made a little progress. Got the boat off the strongback and installed outside gunnel strip.
IMG_4690.JPG

Installed the two center supports for the tumblehome panels.
IMG_4694.JPG

Started splicing strips for the tumblehome panels.
IMG_4695.JPG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mine too, Chuck. It starts out a few, 4'X8' sheets of plywood, a few sheets of paper with marks and script, some tools, and a gleam in our eyes. Pretty soon, some smooth, curvelinear panels appear. Fiberglass cloth, soft wires, and parts 1 and 2 of epoxy are here. A few assembly steps later - "Hey, Dad, that sort of looks like a boat!"

"Yes, it does, doesn't it." Large, satisfied grin appears, and stays around a long, long time.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I have nothing special planed for this build. I guess just building it for the challenge and experience. Turning fence boards into a boat is a satisfying accomplishment for me. Seems each new build is a learning process. Probably because I forget details and my notes go cold.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have nothing special planed for this build. I guess just building it for the challenge and experience. Turning fence boards into a boat is a satisfying accomplishment for me.

Sort of like the folks that climb Mt Everest. When asked why they did it the response was ... Because it was there.
Bee builds boats because the wood was there and it seamed like a good challenge and learning experience. Besides you can never ever have to many boats , especially the ones you made.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Added the other tumblehome supports. Began the process of fitting and attaching the strips. Temporally clamped some to determine how many, and how long they need to be.
IMG_4698.JPG
IMG_4699.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
My "work progress." has not been as much as I would like. One mistake I made has had repercussions. I have worked around the problem but it has made progress slower. These pictures show the problem. It is a out of order problem. Does anybody see it?
IMG_4700.JPG
IMG_4702.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
"Nope. I don't see it."

Jack it's ok. I messed the posting up. It is not possible to see the mistake now because I have worked past it. I struggled installing the strips because I had already attached the batter boards. It would have been much easier with out it. The strips could have been bent and fitted in place and then sawed flush with the stems. Lesson learned, if I don't forget again.