.22 cal air rifle | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

.22 cal air rifle

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
BEARS BUDDY said:
Tom, Bought me a genuine China made .177 cal pellet rifle at one of them traveling tool sales. Nice rifle, verryyy stiff trigger. Also got a pistol of the same manufacturer. Purty nice for $20 each. Keeps the cat away from the bird feeder.

Now I hafta play the 'Devils' Advocate'. :cry: Don't shoot the cat! I've ran almost all of the Chinese guns across a chronograph at one time or the other. The one absolute consistancy is that NONE (Zip, zilch, nada & nary'un) deliver the performance advertised insofar as velocity is concerned. Nor have I found one that delivers the accuracy that is an absolute prerequisite for hunting with a low energy device. When using the relatively miniscule energy delivered downrange by the vast majority of airguns in hunting, pinpoint, surgically placed shots and the knowledge of the anatomy of the quarry are required to be humane. A well-placed shot by a well-informed hunter is as deadly as one by a duffer using a Howitzer, but even so Howitzers aren't legal hunting weapons. So don't shoot the cat with your epicanthic pnuematic! :wink:
The single exception to the indictment of most Chinese guns is the QB-78, a Chinese built copy of the Old Crosman Model 160 available thru Compasseco Inc. in several guises, model designations and dresses. That gun (and that one only AFAIK) has a barrel that would be at home in Olympic competition if they have maintained their standard of excellence since I last bought one a few years ago. Since Bearridge frequents the airgun fora more than I do these days perhaps he can comment on the current accuracy reputation of the gun? I think enough of them to own 4 in several different states of tune, caliber, gas supply methods (they're a CO2 gun) and stocks.
Now-----having gotten the ugly truth out of the way I must admit that the inexpensive Chinese guns serve a great purpose---they are great for terminating the remaining life-force of 'dead soldiers', (empty beer cans:D) acorns, leaves and other 'targets of opportunity' so common to just plain fun plinking. However, I do have one caveat even in this case. ALWAYS, without fail, restrain the cocking lever while loading the gun. The sliding breech that exposes the rear of the barrel for loading is a very powerful and highly efficient shear. While most models have redundant 'anti-beartrap' safety devices built in they HAVE been known to fail, (so whattya you expect from a $20 import built by slave labor already? :? ) removing those portions of digits inside the breech at the moment of failure. That will just ruin your day! The same warning applies, incidentally, to ALL spring piston guns from whatever source or country including barrel cocking models. Always restrain the cocking lever whether a seperate link or the barrel itself. It's simply common-sense safety.
Should you choose to investigate or invest in one of the QB models please be aware that if your intended purpose is hunting that the .22 caliber version is FAR more effective for the purpose. Fired from guns with identical powerplants a .22 caliber pellet delivers to the target from 30% to 75% MORE energy than a .177 caliber pellet. For terminal ballistic reasons too obtuse for the current discussion let's just say that for all practical purposes the .177 is at its' best plinking or punching precision holes in paper and .22 is the proper medicine for delivering terminal intent to living tissue. As Chuck has previously noted in another thread the Brits, who have been seriously hunting with airpower much longer than we colonists, have a saying that sums up the difference in the calibers well in a practical no-nonsense manner, ".177 for feathers, .22 for fur".
The other primary use of the cheap inexpensive imports lies in using them as 'victims' by aspiring airgunsmiths. They are so crudely finished internally that almost anything one does to 'slicken' them, including the use of the proper lubricants in the correct amounts, can bring about surprising improvements in both velocity and smoothness. Triggers (as you have noted) are subject to much improvement as well. There are several fora on the 'net devoted to Chinese guns and improvements thereto should your interests lie in that direction. HTH, Tom

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Gerry,

I reckon now ya mite know more'n ya ever aimed ta know. Ole Tom iz plum fulla more bits 'n pieces than a fishstick, frum airguns ta paddlin' boats, frum NASCAR ta rimfires, frum the Constitution ta model planes 'n more.

Mebbe that $20 gun with the stiff trigger will keep a smile on yer face, but if ya aim ta git the full pleasure frum a airgun, better ask now. That ole Buzzard Tom haz fergot nearbout 100 times more'n I learnt bout airguns so far.....but I aint thru. Purty soon I bet it will be 200 times. :wink:

It iz kinda like askin' Rembrandt ta help ya paint a fence, but he dont mind cuz he iz a member of the Paddlin' Geezer Canoe Clud.

regards,
bearridge
bodine college

I ain't like that no more. I ain't the same, Ned. Claudia, she straightened me up, cleared me of drinkin' whiskey and all. Just 'cause we're goin' on this killing, that don't mean I'm gonna go back to bein' the way I was. I just need the money, get a new start for them youngsters. Ned, you remember that drover I shot through the mouth and his teeth came out the back of his head? I think about him now and again. He didn't do anything to deserve to get shot, at least nothin' I could remember when I sobered up. William Munny

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
My slingshot is better for discouraging the cat because you can set it to sting without doing any permanent harm.
The pistol is a break barrel type. The rifle is a pull down rod type. The instructions say to cock and load it Tom's way when loading and cocking. Hold that cocking lever firmly when inserting the pellet in the breech.
The rifle is a model B-3 F. The only place a muzzle velocity was mentioned was in the catalog. 900 fps sounds like a slight(50%) exaggeration.
It's a kick to try to decipher what the author was trying to say in the instructions. Hims Englich is not any more gooder then Mine are.
Fixing the trigger pull is a task for those cold winter days when the perch aren't biting out front.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
BEARS BUDDY said:
<It's a kick to try to decipher what the author was trying to say in the instructions. Hims Englich is not any more gooder then Mine are.>

I think the same guy has a monopoly on writing Chinese instruction manuals for all sorts of products.;o)

<Fixing the trigger pull is a task for those cold winter days when the perch aren't biting out front.>

I like to see a man who knows how to prioritize the finer things in life. :wink: And if you work diligently you'll have the freezer stocked with enough to last 'til Spring.

Forage the Chinese airgun forum for LOTS of modification info on the B-3 series underlever. http://www.network54.com/Forum/113813/ FWIW, and as always IIRC, the B-3 is a takeoff of the fine old German BSF (Bayerishe Sportwaffen Fabrik) firms' Model 54, a true classic of post-war German airgun technology. OF

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Gerry,

Yer gittin' purty close ta anuther serius habit. I hate ta hear ya pass on a cat with jest a "sting". Outdoor cats take a terrible toll on the songbirds.

I wuz jest tellin' ya that Ole Tom iz plum full of it....airgun knowledge that iz. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,
bearridge
paddlin' geezer

I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you done to Ned. William Munney

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
The cat will be the guest of county animal control soon. The trap says Havahart, but I don't when it trys to take mallards out of the yard.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
A sort of conflict of interest hovers over me here. I really , really like my song birds here at the house. Buit houses and feeders for them... then some years ago my youngest son brings home a cat.... :shock: not just any cat , but one that loves to hunt.... bummer for the birds .... even after I wanted to place a bell on the cat's collar was shot down I cried for the birds .... ( Don't cry for me Swampy) ...... sad :cry: :(

Then the years went by and that stupid cat has me in it's clutches .... he picks on me to feed him and water him .... crawls up into my lap and disturbs my reading .... Yogart has grown on me .... to the point that tell the others NOT to feed him that he is on a weight program. :eek:

Fat rascal is now more trim and thin.... He has kicked ass with every dog in the hood, other family members are cautious around him because he goes berzerk every now and then, but not with me ... I'll smack the devil outta him and so he puts me on his "Don't mess with him" list. 8)

I got snakes to take my wrath out on ..... :twisted:

Where is my BB pistol now? Think the son hid it some years ago ...

swampy

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
bearridge said:
Friend Gerry,

Yer gittin' purty close ta anuther serius habit. I hate ta hear ya pass on a cat with jest a "sting". Outdoor cats take a terrible toll on the songbirds.

I wuz jest tellin' ya that Ole Tom iz plum full of it....airgun knowledge that iz. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think I've been misinterpreted. I'm not decrying the shooting of the cat at all, just the use of a tool insufficient to the task. I have NO mercy on feral housecats. Housecats, feral or well-loved pet, are the most destructive predator of urban wildlife by a huge margin and little less so in rural environments. Nor do I cut those cat owners any slack who thinks it's 'cute' that Fluffy still has a killer instinct and turns Fluffy loose to predate on wildlife. I make no distinction between Fluffy or a feral cat if they are preying on the birds in my feeder. One winds up as dead as the other. Fluffy needs to stay home or suffer the consequences. Indeed it is the pet owner who is irresponsible; the cat is only exercising instinct. It's just 'good neighbor policy' to make sure Fluffy doesn't get home wounded. :D I believe it's called the 'Three ESSes' out West. Shoot, Shovel & Shutup.
And I do pride myself on being 'full of it'! :wink:
Swampus Kittus Kattus: Sure glad your kitty isn't named Fluffy! And if your neighbor shoots him off of his birdfeeder don't be angry with your neighbor. My old cat has survived 15 years by NOT being caught on the bird feeders. Her job description is rodent control and so far she knows it.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
The nice thing cat owners have on their side its that the others usually have a pet also. :wink:

I allow nature to take its course as always. Survival of the fittest. Except when Man gets into the act and causes an unbalanced in the formula.

That's why I won't shoot at an alligator.. they were there first. 8)

Living near or in a city one has to realize that cats are there too.

That's why I wear camo when shooting cats prowling in a tree for mocking birds. :shock:

Bro Bar. What was it Mundy said to Little Tom about his friend?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Swampy,

I dont recall, but I follow the three S's.

regards,
bearridge
bodine audubon society

Lorie: Ya want yer rifle.
Gus: No, I shot me many a fancy bandit with just my pistol.