17' Endeavor Started (Stapleless) | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

17' Endeavor Started (Stapleless)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'd avoid anything, traces of which may remain, that would interfere with a good grip by the next coat to be applied. even if it is a few years downstream before the next application. And - DO NOT use any silicone spray on the hull. These could seriously interfere with another coat adhering to your boat.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Apply a good spar varnish over it ,it should turn black,try this on a small piece first ,I am not sure all spar varnishes will do it.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Why put any ... FOREIGN SUBSTANCE ... over it that will wreck ( Defeat) what you wanted it to do ..... If anything just put another ( Light) coat of the epoxy and graphite over it to get the shine back.

Your idea of the wax would work but only for a short time since it will wear off and if some stays in spots and you wanted to re-graphite it .... it could become a nightmare for you.

If you want it ( the mix ) nice and light and uniformed then use a roller made for epoxy and move it slowly as you apply the mix... If any bubbles appear and some will then tip them out with a foam brush , dragged it very lightly and gently over the surface before it sets up.

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Graphite is finished and a 1st coat of varnish is on the bottom.

Attachments

• PA170046[1].jpg
    PA170046[1].jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 497

islandpiper

Boys, just wanted to tell you that i was honored to see and touch this boat today. I came away STUNNED. this is floating art......simply amazing.

Personally, i think that the asking price is way too low. Should be up around 10K someplace......might attract a better class of buyer, like one with a two million dollar summer house that needs some decoration like this........and those people are out there.

Great job Larry! piper

islandpiper

yes........as a fellow who uses fiddle back daily in the violin shop, i can certify that he has used enough FIDDLEBACK to build a couple of FIDDLE BACKS. wow.....you should touch this boat, RUN YOUR HANDS OVER IT AS IF YOU WERE A TSA EMPLOYEE DOING A PAT-DOWN ON A PLAYBOY BUNNY and the sheer beauty of this boat would astound you.

piper

I was once milling up a load of maple logs for a guy on a band saw mill and we came across a log that was fiddleback throughout. The log was over 30" in diameter. I still have the 1 peice he let me keep. 10' X 14" X 5/4. The log from above and below it had nothing

I can't stop coming back to admire this boat. There is some serious marketable skills there, I am well aware of the patience and skill it takes to work with figured woods.
Very impressive