17' Endeavor Started (Stapleless) | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

17' Endeavor Started (Stapleless)

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
I will post more pics when I get the 2 halves together. Working to finish the bottom of the top halve now.
Kayak Jack,
If it is a wall hanger hopefully it will be someone elses. I plan to sell it when finished. I get all my pleasure from building it. Too old now for kayaking. This is something I have been wanting to do for a long time.
Swampwood

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Started varnishing and have finished the inside.

Attachments

• PA130036[1].jpg
    PA130036[1].jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 468
  • PA130037[1].jpg
    PA130037[1].jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 444
  • PA130038[1].jpg
    PA130038[1].jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 432

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Kayak Jack,
Home is Bayou Country, Louisiana. Actually live not far from Seedtick and Beekeeper.
This boat build is where I get all my pleasure. Hope someone else gets to have the pleasure of owning and the satisfaction of paddling her.

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Kayak Jack,
I am taking the plunge and decided too graphite. Hated to cover that wood, but most of it would not be seen anyway. Better safe than have it scratched all up anyway. Just hope someone else sees it that way.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You shouldn't be covering a lot of the wood , just from the water line down , the part the fish will look at. It does offer a lot of protection for the bottom , a lot more then just the glass and epoxy offers. :D

The inlay work and finish you have on that kayak is outstanding and my bet is that will be what anyone looks at so a little bottom protection just adds more to the paddling factor of the boat.

Chuck.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
My opinion wasn't asked for but, here it is anyway.

if the boat will be used, I agree with the graphite. I will also say that because of the workmanship, the graphite should be limited to two thirds of the bottom. Do not bring the graphite up on the bow as most of us do. Keep it strictly on the bottom where it will be useful but not seen. Not up the sides and stems.

When the boat is in the water, no black should be seen [unless it is being rolled] . It would be my guess that anyone using that boat would be rather careful about launch and recovery.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Swampwood, When I do graphite/epoxy mix, I step the masking tape back a 1/4" for each successive coat. This makes a less severe edge.

I leave mine where it is and then make a quarter inch ( or half inch ) water line above it with a contrasting color. That separates the graphite from the wood in the boat and blends the two of them together. No sharp edges but a divider or boundary to keep them friendly.

All of us have our ways of doing it and I am sure you will find one that suits your needs. :D