Wilderness Mosquito Control? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Wilderness Mosquito Control?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I been purty skeptikle of B-12. Now Miz Bear tells me it iz B-1 that iz supposed ta keep the skeeters off ya. However, she sez she took B-12 fer years 'n the skeeters dont bite her hardly at all. I dont know how long since she switched over ta the whole B family, but she sez "timed released" iz the key....otherwise it wont keep the skeeters off all day. I tried it once before 'n it didnt seem ta do no good. This time it seems ta be workin'. Lately, I been noticin' skeeters buzzin', but not bitin'.

Too early ta claim we whupped the skeeters round here, but soon az we git the final tests done here at the Southern Test Facility, I will let ya'll know.

regards
bearridge

ps Miz Bear buys the whole B family bottle cuz she sez it cost the same az a B-12 bottle, cuz B-1 wuz supposed ta be the one that keeps the skeeters off (even tho B-12 done it fer her) 'n so she figgered mebbe it iz somethin' bout all the B vitamins, not jest any one of 'em?

Licker talks mitey loud when it gits loose frum the jug.  Plantation Proverb

islandpiper

A bit of rum may help. I got the rum out at about 8:30 PM and the mosquitoes showed up about the same time. Contrary to popular belief you CAN lay on your back in a hammock and sip rum from a pocket flask. That was the first night and the skeeters were moderately bad. The second night I did the same thing with a little flask of Scotch and the skeeters were REALLY BAD. Conclusion: rum works better than scotch.

i had sprayed some of that premithrin (?) on my clothes and hammock. If it was working things would have been lots worse without.

Actually, a four-pound engineer's hammer would have been the best mosquito control device there.

At Bass Pro Shop they had a little device that used a butane cartridge and some sort of wafer. GUARANTEED to work, as long as you didn't walk around or if the wind was not blowing.

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Developed a surefire way of limiting mosquito bites inside my hammock. A couple of times, a mosquito would get in when I entered the hammock. After trying to swat the thing against the fabric( doesn't work) and trying to slap it when it landed on me with no success, I hit on a brilliant idea( brilliant for 2:00 in the morning). The sucker was going to bite me ANYWAY so I just let him. Let him get good and full and fly away into a corner where he wouldn't bother me anymore. Case closed. He was happy and I was happy. Out of the box thinking at it's best. 8)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Bloody mad 'mericans !:p

Ya need vegemite blokes :D - a daily dose of vege on about 4 slices of toast :D

Not only does it reduce the number of bites, it also reduces the effects of the ones you do get.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
hairymick said:
Bloody mad 'mericans !:p

Ya need vegemite blokes :D - a daily dose of vege on about 4 slices of toast :D

Not only does it reduce the number of bites, it also reduces the effects of the ones you do get.

My wife brought back some vegemite from her last Australian trip. All I can say is, it must be an acquired taste, like room temperature beer, or whiskey without ice.

If you have that stuff inside you, I don't doubt the mosquitoes would leave you alone!! :D

Still, if it runs off the skeeters, I might be willing to try it. Maybe rinse it down with some rum - on the rocks.

George

islandpiper

This is the right arm, the left is about the same. These are bites which i got THROUGH the HH where I touched it.
bitten%20arm.jpg

I'm going to pass on the Blood Drive next week, figure I've already given.

piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Dang Keith,
Looks lide ya lost so much blood ya must of been getting kind a lite headed. Looks like a bad case of chiggers. Bad thing is chiggers last a lot longer (leat on me). I am a bona fied chigger magnet. Sure hope you recover from all that.
Glad ya'll had fun.
Bob

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Ahhh... Damn, Piper. Maybe you should just put the vegemite and rum ON you. It is too late to put it IN you at this point.

I feel for you, brother. Makes me itchy just to look at the picture.

GBinGA