Where or How do I start? | SouthernPaddler.com

Where or How do I start?

Aeroncaboy

Mar 18, 2011
This is my first post, but I've drooled and lurked long enough. I've got a plastic Old Town Discovery that I putz around in, but I yearn to build my own beautiful, gleaming, professional looking masterpiece. Only problem is I've got thumbs even on my toes. I helped build my house (nearly divorced my daddy-in-law over that one) and I've helped restore an old (1947) Aeronca airplane, hence my name - BUT I ain't never built nothing as purty as what I see on this here site. :oops:

Where do I start? What's a good set of plans for a beginner, and very limited woodworker? I'm torn between wanting another family barge to haul the missus and our eight year around in, and possibly wanting something just for me. Also, I usually just throw the Old Time over the hood of the van to haul it whereever I go - so I wonder if that is feasible or will I need to consider buying (building) or stealing a trailer once I finish my wooden wonder? :mrgreen: Perhaps that might be a bit over ambitious - the thought of actually completing this thing! :lol:

Thanks for being patient with a newbie and I really look forward to learning the process. Live in Northern MS and would like to meet some of you someday and see your work in person. Even paddle with you. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Others will suggest other things, perhaps. Starting on something simple is a good idea. Matt has some nice, simple designs that would be excellent starting points. Make a smaller boat, one you can easily master. And - one your 8 year old will want to solo.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
As Jach pionts out JEM has a selection of good plans, with the better instructions than most. Starting with a three panel gives you the most bang for the buck, and you'll realisze pretty soon that you can do this. Then your hooked :mrgreen:

MM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Building a boat is not rocket science , just the good old method of putting the pieces together to form something , in this case a boat.
The trick is to take your time , know what the steps are and it is nice if you know them about 3 or 4m steps from the one you are on. It makes more sense as you proceed.
The less panels to start with the easier it is , a 3 or 4 panel boat is a lot easier then a 10 or 12 panel one... It's the same process but most new builders get in a hurry so the lesser the panels the quicker the boat comes together.

I have never made a Gator boat so I can't comment on them but I do know that Uncle John Pirogues and Jem Watercraft will both help with any questions you might have and naturally you can ask them on here.
Jem Watercraft has a forum similar to this one to help folks that purchase his plans.

As you are finding out , the decision to make one is difficult but when that hurdle is crossed the hardest part or the whole build is deciding on what one to make.

hairymick01

G'day Aeroncaboy and welcome aboard mate.

The three panel boats these blokes are talking about are pirogues.

Have a looke here,

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/PirogueCompare.php

and here,

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/default.htm

To my feeble mind, these are the best and easiest designs to build available. At the end of that, you will have a superb boat that you will love for years.

All you need to do is make the start, post piccies and ask questions here if you need to and before you know it you too will be an epoxy addict, just like the rest of us.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Seconding what hairymick wrote. The basic three panel pirogues he mentioned are easy on the woodworking, they demonstrate all the basic techniques, and you can fancy one up as much or as little as you like.

gbinga

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
If you're anything like me, you start by cleaning out your garage or shop. No way I could build anything in either because of all the clutter* I seem to accumulate.

*Good stuff I might need someday..........

Mike

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Here is a very good book for a strip built canoe: Canoecraft

I've read this book about 1 1/2 times. I plan to read it at least one more time before I start my Prospector. Of course, in the mean time, I bought plans for the Uncle John Pirogue (a MUCH simpler build) and I'm still putzing around with it 2 years later (I have at least started to varnish the darn thing and almost ready to call it done). Although a completely different boat - stlye, construction method, etc. - I can see many skills will be transferable to the canoe.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
mike said:
If you're anything like me, you start by cleaning out your garage or shop. No way I could build anything in either because of all the clutter* I seem to accumulate. *Good stuff I might need someday..........
Must be a contagious virus going around; my basement has it too.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
You can't go wrong with the simple pirogue. Built wide enough to be extra stable, it makes a great fishing platform. Built narrow with fine bow and stern, you basically have the hull of a Greenland kayak. Makes for a real nice cruiser capable of eating up the miles when used on flat water.

Joey

Aeroncaboy

Mar 18, 2011
I have a tendency to grow thumbs during any project and have been known to stoop to using the TLAR (that looks about right) method of building things. That's usually when my troubles really begin.

I appreciate all the advice and input that I've received from you, I'll probably pester you to death asking questions that would make a 12 year old roll their eyes and go "brother!" but I certainly appreciate any and all help along the way.

I really believe in the KISS approach (keep it simple, stupid) that's been expressed by you all is the best path for me to take, especially with some of my previous projects (or attempted projects) taken into consideration. Now comes the time to really research and eyeball the options I have, make a decision, and take the plunge.
Ur, I hope that taking the plunge remark wasn't a bad omen about the boat I hope to build. :mrgreen:

Aeroncaboy

Mar 18, 2011
WDfmTN wrote
Man, haven't heard that since I got out of The Corps!
"TLAR", "SWAG", "FITGE", "German-torqued" (guttentight), "PBA", etc.
Then, there's "BOHICA", "DILLIGAF", etc..

Don't forget, SNAFU, which often best describes my boat-building techniques. :mrgreen:

leeh

Jul 24, 2009
I agree with those advising a simple plan. I started on something a little too complex, an 8 panel British decked canoe, and it was much harder. As a result, it's about 70% complete - after nearly 2 years. :? (But, hey, I haven't given up, Jack !) As I had no noticeable skills at the time, I think I would have been smarter to have dived into a very simple build first, then take on something more difficult later.