Uncle John's Plans | SouthernPaddler.com

Uncle John's Plans

Jim B

Sep 26, 2006
Louisville KY
I have a set of UJ's Piro plans that I downloaded. The only issue I see is building the stems. I don't have access to a table saw, do have a compound miter saw, several different hand and power saws.

Does anyone have a workaround for building the stem?

My first thought was to cut 6-10 blocks each to place inside the bow and stern, the blocks would be cut at the same angle as the stem pieces in the plan, with another piece of 1X4 behind it for alignment and stability Glue and screw or nail them into place, then fill around the blocks with epoxy mixed with micro glass balls to complete. Repair my holes and glass the seam.

Would that work?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am not going to be any help on this.. :oops: ... I always get the kit's because I don't have the equipment to make the required cuts for the stems or ribs.

If no one has a good answer in a day or so then I would suggest you contact John and see what he can suggest ..... Tell him you are with oldsparkey and southernpaddler.

Two reasons for that ...
1st so he can hang up on you or delete your Email.. :lol: .. OK. Seriously... John would be happy to help you and sometimes when he is really swamped he sends folks with questions to me or refers them to the southernpaddler forum.

By telling him you have already asked over here then he knows it is something he needs to answer because we didn't or couldn't. :?

Chuck.

Jim B

Sep 26, 2006
Louisville KY
oldsparkey said:
If no one has a good answer in a day or so then I would suggest you contact John and see what he can suggest ..... Tell him you are with oldsparkey and southernpaddler.

Done

oldsparkey said:
Two reasons for that ...
1st so he can hang up on you or delete your Email.. :lol: .. OK. Seriously... John would be happy to help you and sometimes when he is really swamped he sends folks with questions to me or refers them to the southernpaddler forum.

By telling him you have already asked over here then he knows it is something he needs to answer because we didn't or couldn't. :?

Chuck.

Makes sense. I sent him an email already.

keith

stems

I dont know what uj makes,but i make several different styles. Show a picture and I'll help. The old timers around here use a hatchet. I make them out of a 1x4x12" or 2x4x14" or 3x3x14", you could also sew the ends of the plywood. good luck,keith

Jim B

Sep 26, 2006
Louisville KY
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/plans/p12build.pdf

This is the publicly available plans of UJ piro's. Page 8 shows building the stem ends.

I'm trying to be very careful, and not break any rules. I don't want to get kicked off this board the first week I'm here! You can also see top views here.

http://www.narem.com/narem/boats/pirogu ... ir1_06.jpg

http://www.narem.com/narem/boats/pirogu ... ir1_14.jpg

I think that it can be surmised that the rabbitsthat form the area of the stem that attaches to the sides has to be a cut down of 1/4 inch to match the thickness of the plywood panels. From a rough guess prior to buying the plans it would appear that the stem sides are at a 65 degree angle or so. It is hard to measure with a compass to the computer screen.

I suppose that I could follow my original idea and build a breasthook over the top, and make a reinforced tip on the exterior to prevent damage...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jim B said:
I'm trying to be very careful, and not break any rules. I don't want to get kicked off this board the first week I'm here! You can also see top views here.

Jim B

The only rules we have on here is that we don't have that many of them. :D

1. We say what we think as long as it is honest about any product we purchase and use. The rest of the chatter, the BS flows freely and most of the time the truth is a rare commodity but everyone recognizees that. (for what it is , having some fun)

2. Profanity will get you a nasty Email from me right after I change the word or words.

3. We are here to help folks build wood boats and to assisit them in relaxing and having a good time. Work is where you can have the problems , stress and headaches , not here.

Chuck.

Old Sparkey Pontificated:

The only rules we have on here is that we don't have that many of them.

Now there's a novel concept. Chuck, you'd never make it in government. We have pretty much the same rules on the other board I visit and since our inception we've never had any problem.

BTW, I'm new here too and couldn't have wished for a warmer welcome or more help. These folks do b.s. quite a bit but from my limited experience if you ask for some serious help you get it right back.

With that, you'll have to excuse me. The Busch Series Yellow Transportation 300 is about to start on the boob tube. Priorities, you know.

don

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
don

I enjoyed the welcome over on your web site .. http://www.icdsupportgroup.org./board/ .

It made this ole goat feel really good... I never knew there were so may bionic folks out there, an exclusive membership with some good folks with the same problem.

I sure will let them know about it at the Orlando Heart Center.
As Jack would say .... Ya Done Good. :D
( Darn , :evil: I hate to agree with him but in this case his saying hit the nail on the head.)

Chuck.

keith

stem

you can start with "x" but I'm going to say start with a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 18". get the grain right and lay out 2 triangles about 3" wide to 1/2" on the other end. Cut these into, then mark the center of each one (you are marking on the inside were you have just cut),you will need to make this mark about a 1/4" wide and on the ends you can mark another triangle at ~33 degrees or set your say (band) @33 and cut from the center (1/4") line to the outside. After the first cut you may lose part of the line, just stay a 1/4" on the second cut. clean saw cuts with block plane. this will make a nice inside head stem. After you have the sides on, make a outside batter board (stem). Sand and measure the ends are (about a 1 1/2"), cut a 1 1/2" (wide)x 1" thick nail to ends and plane to fit. If you dont have power tools use hand saw and hatchet. good luck keith

islandpiper

Stem alternatives.

Look at the end profile of the stem. It is basically two triangles. So, cut and plane by hand if necessary two triangles, one truncated to fit inside the onter and glue and fasten them to becone a one piece stem. Boats have been built that way a long time.

Or.......make one trianular section inside stem and build the boat around it. then plane, grind or sand the sides to become a flat face where they meet, and add the outer stem, epoxy and fasten, etc.

(built a bunch of boats.....) Piper

Jim B

Sep 26, 2006
Louisville KY
island Piper,

So basically build a truncated cone, then after assembly build another to go on the front of that? Does the outer piece of wood provide strength or cut friction in some way?

The answer I got from Uncle John follows:

I don't see why this wouldn't work. I would be very interested in knowing your results.

hope this helps,

Uncle John

Thank you all for your help.

keith

stem

the outer piece in front will be cut (planed) down to a leading edge. It cuts the friction, it adds strength and protects the ends of the plywood. I make them (stem)in two pieces so when you bang it up in years to come, you can change just this piece. good luck, keith

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Can't find the link (possibly on my work laptop and I can't be doing with booting it up at 10 o'clock on a Sunday night) but there are some free plans showing just that on the web somewhere. One truncated triangular prism joins the two side boards and then a smaller triangular-section block forms the leading edge of the prow.

Jim B

Sep 26, 2006
Louisville KY
On those plans they are showing the bottom edge of the sides cut at a arch to remove the rocker.

Why would you do that?

(Glad I have a place to ask dumb, but serious questions...)

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
The flatter bottom would draw less water for the same load. It may be a consideration if you were using the pirogue in extremely shallow water.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
That's what I was wondering...
Interesting plans but I think by in-curving the bottom edge of the side boards it would reduce/remove the rocker that you would get with the UJ plans.
However there's nothing to stop you combining the two. User the UJ-style straight side panels with a two-piece stem. Thus keeping the rocker but not needing to cut the UJ stempiece as per the plans.

I was thinking of buying the UJ kits for the first couple of boats.

Chuck, you have built more than one of these (how many is that?), does the rocker feel 'right' on the UJ?