Two More Builds | SouthernPaddler.com

Two More Builds

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Time to post some of my boat building activities from the last 6 months or so.I was completely out of commission all last winter and most of the spring, so when my health returned I was ready to be busy! I built a modified JEM Crawdad (again), and a 9’ 4” Happy Hour Kayak I came across those plans on the webb. I think the modified crawdad is a very good truck boat for afternoon fishing trips, and the happy hour was just for grins. Hopefully I’ll remember how to post pictures of the finished boats.
Good Fish’n
Andy
p2sovULNrSEQVh66rDFMJp_mcucLigTjZafxc-K3SWkDgi9AjSLNKYr3tu3HT9ndoN_HHbMl7nvWa_1ix2gzMHEfrQAb_jzmdkXIK8A2dMqOhwFONtjThDWniFrOS5IQqQ_KZ0j9
Happy Hour Kayak
syvS1DDewaNr06hsCNvugIy7dyE4pvcbrO3T0yIWYtMi1tVZ_k7RpPx6jWyl-zYNjJ742dECTSsUIRN-sfu21mFUyoi5b_MKAEEDESPcVXTjhV3N6k8s4pUxOZaUrGS6aY316b_J

FbHOu3GNRrwN2QVQhUIOfBTLxoWpzaI8HbgSsw_L8uspRI6j2G2zwEexeZn4bWe78poZiO3rWd1_DJS6ro64PQ92D4LUShNXoUI3X8eiii-KmABb0KZ5xx0p4z3q6HMhi_e1bk9z
PhotoPictureResizer_200222_092322897-1032x774.jpg

Last edited:

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Initially I used several coats of varnish. But it seemed to get dull after to or three years and need to be redone.
The last two boats have been rattle can clear coat, jury is still out time will tell. Next boat will be wipe on clear coat. Thanks for all the info about bottom coverings. I've settled on epoxy,graphite, and rockite. Recently I got carried away with the rockite, ended up redoing that bottom! I'll post some pictures later. Right now we are headed to Lake Charles to a funeral, will be good to be back in La for a while, wish it was for a different reason.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I have used Rusteoleum clear coat on some boat seats and other small outdoor projects but never a boat.
Have you paddled the "Happy Hour Kayak" to compare it to Crawdad?

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
JD, I haven't used the happy hour it is still in Kansas in the shop, way too cold when we left Ks. I think it might be too wide to get in some of the tight spots on places like I fish. It will be a while as Joyce will be starting a new round of Chemo in Austin so we'll be here a while. We are so blessed, to have found this little house near two of our Girls and not far from the Clinic her doctor in Kansas recommended.
Think I may get to Bossier Parrish week after next.